Brexit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just reading about a EU proposal to ban inefficient electric tea kettles and toasters. Apparently they waited off because of the vote and because they didn't want to upset the tea and toast loving English, but now full steam ahead.

They had an earlier ban on high powered vacuums and inefficient electric stoves. I imagine that inductive stoves are very popular in Europe because of efficiency, however they are more expensive.

I applaud their efforts, but I think it would be much better to have an efficiency rating on all the products and have a surcharge if you want to buy something that is very inefficient. When you BAN something there are always going to be people who get upset, like when the mayor of NYC was trying to ban large sugary soft drinks. His heart was in the right place, but it upset a lot of people.

My guess is that these are just a couple examples of the things that the EU has forced on the UK and that has upset them.

The irony of course is that when the EU is working properly people don't notice all the good it is doing, but tell someone they can't buy something and they notice that very quickly. This may be the proverbial death by one thousand paper cuts. Lots of little inconveniences that add up to some very upset people.

well that is interesting....... not sure how racism fits into the concept of the European Union..... I just figure the Brits feel they may be holding up more than their end of the bargain financially etc for the entire 'Union'... and are tired of it..... So.... yes Justin and friends would be interesting to hear from you....

Many who voted to leave were voting against immigration from southern Europe, those brown-skinned people just don't fit in! I spoke to a guy here on "holiday" from London and he was aghast that the leave vote won. He was in the millennial generation that voted overwhelmingly to remain as their future are deeply intertwined with globalization, the older generation, mine, voted to leave in what I consider a fit of nationalist paranoia with little or no reflection on the long-term consequences of leaving the EU would actually mean.

Attachments

• brexit-map-945 (Medium).jpg
    brexit-map-945 (Medium).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 104
Mark I hope you were trying to be amusing with the map. If you search even a small amount in the net the maps are said to be the same just a different color. Are they similar areas yes but not a Mad Cow map.

It was a joke. I didn't create it, but I thought it was funny :)

But it is similar enough that someone probably thought they had seen something like it before.

Only time will tell whether this was a good or bad move for the Brits. I'm interested to hear Justin and Bonzo's take on it.

Hi Rich, the old white generation outside London voted out, so you can guess :)

I am young brown and inside London - as for the move, we don't know. It is the uncertainty of what will happen rather than in or out that's going to cause the damage. We don't know how long will the "advisory" vote be ignored, and whether Article 50 will be invoked. We don't know if other EU countries will follow suit - if they do it will be better for UK to quit. If they don't then we will be left out of trade agreements. The property price can fall due to uncertainty, and if financial services relocate some people and business hold off investment, but then a cheaper pound and exit from other countries could shore up property prices.

In short - nothing is certain except that hifi will be dearer.

Unfortunately for those living in the UK, so true.

But if anyone wants some nice Meridian kit, now is a good time to fly over and pick it up locally for a 10% discount + whatever you can get out of a spooked dealer looking at stagnant stock due to uncertainty ;-)

Hi Rich, the old white generation outside London voted out, so you can guess :)

I am young brown and inside London - as for the move, we don't know. It is the uncertainty of what will happen rather than in or out that's going to cause the damage. We don't know how long will the "advisory" vote be ignored, and whether Article 50 will be invoked. We don't know if other EU countries will follow suit - if they do it will be better for UK to quit. If they don't then we will be left out of trade agreements. The property price can fall due to uncertainty, and if financial services relocate some people and business hold off investment, but then a cheaper pound and exit from other countries could shore up property prices.

The good news is: Boris Johnson just took himself out of running for Tory Leadership. The bad news is: Gove is a strong possibility. What do you guys think of Theresa May and her chances?

I think a number of things.

I think the large pan fried whole lemon sole I just cooked was amazing.

I think Neil Young and Promise of the Real's "Earth" album via phone/TIDAL and Ultimate Ears Boom II Bluetooth loudspeaker was really enjoyable while painting the new look listening room.

I think Kedar should somehow manage to make so much money out of market instability that he can afford a multi-million pound house in Richmond. I also think he should implement the masterplan of Apogee Grands and Western Electric 16A horns in two separate custom built rooms on the grounds of this house.

I think Theresa is bang out of order running for PM when she was in the remain camp. I think Cameron foolishly mis-judged European sentiments here, but I'd much rather have him back as a front man. If he stood down as pro-Europe and therefore unsuitable, why does this woman think she is suitable? She isn't. Complete turn around is just so common in politics, it kind of make you feel sorry for the nature of human kind.

I know I really like Boris. He's just cool in a unique way. Maybe not ideal PM material, but probably better that this new bunch of candidates. At least he was pro Brexit.

Some say Brexit won just because it sounds better than simply "remain". There may be more truth in that than you might think... I can see it counting for a percent or two. It really does sound better. The audiophile's vote?:D

Now that he helped "blow up the ship", seems likes he's abandoning the vessel.

From a very outside perspective, this seems quite odd.

Maybe he knows or senses something that others don't.

Many who voted to leave were voting against immigration from southern Europe, those brown-skinned people just don't fit in! I spoke to a guy here on "holiday" from London and he was aghast that the leave vote won. He was in the millennial generation that voted overwhelmingly to remain as their future are deeply intertwined with globalization, the older generation, mine, voted to leave in what I consider a fit of nationalist paranoia with little or no reflection on the long-term consequences of leaving the EU would actually mean.

Again - my opinion.... To define this as racism I think is inaccurate.... To define it as people afraid of a possible increase in terrorism because you might get a couple of rotten eggs from a region that is a hotbed for terrorist planning and activities.... or to say people just do not want to foot the bill for refugees where the vast majority could not make it without assistance.... I think is more accurate.... In today's world people are actually afraid because of all of the terrorist acts .... I would think that to a lot of people keeping non-citizens out would be a logical jump.... I like being an ocean away from this honestly.... but I could imagine people's fears and trying to take steps to protect themselves, children and country might trump everything else... sorry for the pun....

Some say Brexit won just because it sounds better than simply "remain". There may be more truth in that than you might think... I can see it counting for a percent or two.

Another thing that I can bet counted for a percent or two was our presidents speech in London. In an effort to convince voters to remain, he said that UK would be at the “back of the queue” for any future trade deals. I know that if I am undecided about a decision here in the US, and Cameron gave a speech on our soil basically threatening some sort of economic repercussion should I not vote in the way he thinks I should, he would have basically made up my mind at that point. Polls taken shortly after that speech did show a bounce of 2-4 points for the leave campaign.

I thought we were screwed years ago being stuck between the Yankies and the Russians, TBH.

We're still here...:ROFL:

From 1980's Brand New Age by the UK Subs. If you want to hear it it is on YouTube. A punk classic, really. Not very EU related but hey.

Warhead lyrics:

Soldiers of Islam are loading their guns
They're getting ready
but the Russian tanks are mowing them down
They're getting ready
There's children in Africa with tommy guns
Getting ready
While the Islam armies are beckoning on
They're getting ready

[Chorus]
There's a burning sun
And it sets in the western world