Brexit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuwee

Reaction score
I was gonna post this earlier as it was coming down...:rocker: I'm so happy for Great Britain for leaving the EU!! My stocks took a big hit and I'm happy to accept that if that's what it takes!

The EU will not work as a whatever the hell they think they are...

I say Germany is next...then France...

:D to Great Britain!!

Will this mean a dissovlement of the United Kingdom? Can Scotland, Ireland and Wales stay if they want? I'm confused?

Interesting... Yes...about a year ago they (Ireland,Scotland,Wales????) had a vote on whether to leave the UK and voted against it..... I guess Britain never adopted the Euro ... so I'm trying to figure how they were ever 'in'....but it is a vague topic for me - for sure...

Only time will tell whether this was a good or bad move for the Brits. I'm interested to hear Justin and Bonzo's take on it.

My personal take is that this is an unfortunate indication that the entire world is becoming paranoid and making irrational decisions.

There is a reactionary isolationist prejudiced movement happening worldwide.

Below was a billboard that was put up in my home state. There was public outcry and it was taken down, BUT the fact remains that a politician and his advisers had to be in agreement that this would be an effective way to boost his popularity. There was an advertising company involved who designed it and then someone produced it and the billboard company put it in place. Nowhere along that path did anyone refuse to complete their work.

I'm sure that publicly each party involved would say that they were only doing their job and that free speech makes this legal.

imrs.jpg

well that is interesting....... not sure how racism fits into the concept of the European Union..... I just figure the Brits feel they may be holding up more than their end of the bargain financially etc for the entire 'Union'... and are tired of it..... So.... yes Justin and friends would be interesting to hear from you....

well that is interesting....... not sure how racism fits into the concept of the European Union..... I just figure the Brits feel they may be holding up more than their end of the bargain financially etc for the entire 'Union'... and are tired of it..... So.... yes Justin and friends would be interesting to hear from you....

Part of Brexit was that they didn't want to be forced to take more refugees. Then there was the "Britain First!" shooting.

People are scared don't believe in any leadership and want to take a former "glory" back again.

Notice all the historical images in that billboard? It's the Norman Rockwell dream of an earlier time that has no basis in reality.

I don't really do politics online. However this is a pretty exceptional case.

Will post something over the weekend.

yah... it is pretty crowded in London..... and they probably didn't want more on their welfare doles either.... Gee - this is sounding familiar.... Yet it gets painted as racism? I mean take the possible increase in terrorism completely out of the picture.... I think saying 'no' is a perfectly viable option. And I don't view it as racist, isolationist or exclusionary..... Maybe.... it is smart ?

Looking forward to it Justin.....

I am not sure how much of a following Rick Tyler receives for that sort of messaging. I just read he ran a similar campaign in 2014 and only received .4% of the total vote, compared to the republican that won with 61.9%.

I think someone in Britain or the UK would have a better opinion on Brexit, I can only go by what I have read. But I think Timm has a point. The EU was supposed to be more of an equal block of countries, designed to help the countries compete against other larger nations easier than they could on their own, but some were pulling more of the weight than others, and were obviously doing much better. Those doing better were receiving more than their share of immigrants. The immigration issue was perhaps one of the more emotional ones involved, but it wasn't the only issue those on the leaving side had in their list of reasons.

In the end, I suspect that Britain found out that the EU needed them much more than they need the EU. I saw benefits for both staying and leaving the EU, but again it was just the sense I got from articles I have read, nothing I can say I experienced personally which would mean much more. I think even those who supported leaving knew there was going to be some growing pains involved in the short term. I hope it works out for them in the long run.

Interesting times.

I’m not going to say too much, particularly as you can form your own opinions from the world wide media available these days, but I think the English and Welsh had had enough of the massive borderless genetic experiment forced upon them by Europe.

The Scotish and Irish? Probably not, but then to be fair they haven’t seen the same degree of influx that we have.

If you attempt to create a borderless state from a pool of 27/8hcountries, it is only obvious that there will be an absolute mass of migration as those in the worst areas try to move to the more affluent richer nations.

It has become enormously apparent, particularly in the last two years, just how many people have come to this country. London, in particular, has very much become a city of immigrants, much like New York City. Our catering/restaurant and building trades now have a very large percentage of foreign workers, and the NHS is literally run by them.

What is amusing is to see the media trying to drama and “big it all up”, which only makes an awkward situation worse. All sorts of tripe comes out, like “huge crash in the markets”, which in reality has been far less worse than I was expecting. Early days yet, though.

It is interesting watching the inner turmoil of political parties here now, as all the major ones were in favour of remain.

Apart from observing this huge increase in people with strange accents, the practical affects are a very much observable increase in the number of people on this small island. Travelling times are significantly up, the road networks and public transport stretched to over capacity.

Looking at the generational and regional demographics, the young didn’t want to leave (18-24 year olds were around 75% in favour of remain). But the really surprising thing is that areas with a very high proportion of what would be considered immigrants by the older generations, in fact voted to leave.

Strange and interesting times. Any domino effects for the rest of Europe and the “angry Scots” who still want in are going to be the most interesting things for me to observe in the coming months/years.

On a wider view, the real crux of the world’s problems is over-population. And the destabilisation of Syria, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan etc etc by the foreign policies of the US and the UK have caused an immigration crisis on a scale never seen before.

What a mess. I am quite happy not to be ruled by a bunch of unelected people in Brussels, though, who cannot possibly have the best interests of our country at heart. But then they’re not supposed to, if you buy into the “one state” philosophy. This, I believe, was the other major factor that resulted in a vote for “out”.

Interestingly enough it was Winston Churchill that first suggested the idea of a united Europe.

What I recently heard from a friend in Switzerland is that the fall out from this is that the EU has gotten a wake up call and is now working harder than ever to reconcile issues between countries. Others are saying the UK will end up like Norway with all the costs and less benefits.

Then I read that this referendum is a recommendation to parliament and that they can choose not to act on it and that another referendum is coming up that suggests that a 60% majority is needed and 70% of the population to vote for something like this to pass.

Lots and lots of speculation....

On a wider view, the real crux of the world’s problems is over-population.

This is the real crux, and we are going to see a lot worse than Brexit as we try to come to terms with it.

This is the real crux, and we are going to see a lot worse than Brexit as we try to come to terms with it.

And it is political suicide for any democratic party to attempt to impose a limit on the number of offspring a couple may have.

Which means population growth will carry on, until resource contention becomes so great some sort of war(s) will occur. An undesirable population balancing act that we, as a human species, seem too stupid to be able to avoid.

Interesting times.

Interesting post thanks Justin - interesting to get your views; and they are easy to understand.

I see a lot of parallels with Brexit and Trump.

Quite simply, people are sick of the fake, carefully concocted, political correctness-gone-mad type of attitude that we see in politics these days. And they way they are slapped with labels if they simply disagree with an opinion.......sexist, racist, xx-phobic.

If you oppress people in this way for too long, they will eventually revolt. If they only way that the people can express that revolt is by doing something potentially irrational (like exiting the EU, or voting Trump), then this is what we will get as a world.

There's a lesson here for the world over - start getting "real" and acting in the best interests of the people (the majority), or things like this will happen. And if appeasing the majority results in some collateral marginalisation or offense to minority groups, then so be it. The alternative is not good - we've just witnessed that.

Last edited:
I see a lot of parallels with Brexit and Trump.

Listening to Trump post election results, Trump sees a lot of parallels between Brexit and Trump:D

The truth is most politicians don't know what the population wants, because they don't have the information to actually know. They don't conduct enough surveys to get an idea. Hence the potential for large disconnects with the public view.

This one was impossible to judge as the result was so close. Even large data set surveys could have given an incorrect picture, as proven by polls being wrong during general elections. In this case, though, the average of many polls did suggest out.

To compound that problem, if they asked ten different people ten different questions about what they want, they would likely get a hundred different answers. Different people want different things. The savvy politician tries to appeal to the broadest spectrum, and in the process loses all focus. So you end up with two broad unfocused factions of politicians warring to "represent" their constituencies, and the only thing they can all agree on is that they want to get reelected.

I thought this was very interesting. It basically says BREXIT won't happen. Cameron is letting the next guy invoke article 50 which starts a 2 year process. By resigning he has started a new election process and candidates will either be running on invoking article 50 or not. Most likely someone who does not want to invoke this will be elected.

http://qz.com/717182/a-brexit-consp...situation-boris-johnson-now-finds-himself-in/

Back