Wrinkles in Diaphragm normal?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reberto: Can u explain ur method on how to use the heat to remove the wrinkles! Thanks

Khenegar please do not try applying heat to the wrinkles. Wrinkles are only cosmetic or optical nuisance. They do not affect the sound in any way. On the other hand trying to remove wrinkles may melt the diaphragm. Then you would have a real problem at hand.

Have fun listening to music!:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
What the heck is going on with QC ML?

Khenegar please do not try applying heat to the wrinkles.

Agree: What other high-end audio product do paying customers have to fix up with a hairdryer when they are unboxing their new item?

Last edited:
First and FORE most.. Wrinkles are not acceptable.. They are areas that will BUZZ at certain frequencies.. !That being said,.. The pics show Little of what the owner is trying to convey.. The odd holes look like Locating holes or hook hanging holes for powder coating procedures ,and would be covered by the trim rails.. Remember ML has been great at customer service and panel replacement on older speakers.. Thank you for that ML.. I am sure Paradigm and its merger had a huge impact.. I am sure Replacement panels are still made in Lawrence by one or two people where it was a production of much greater depth.. There really is no money in them as much as we say they have tippled in cost.. Im sure to keep that person employed costs more than the amount they make yearly .. That being said, quality is quality.. Would you buy brand new ML with wrinkled Mylar..I THINK NOT ! So why should replacements have them..

Saludos Chicos. Please understand that applying heat to the diaphragm, it was recommended by Jim Powers long time ago. I had repaired with success the wrinkles problem. Its very expensive to bring panels to Costa Rica. I have to pay the import taxes and the shipping cost from ML facilities. So, I learned how to do it. Its me who is doing this recommendation. Not Martin Logan.

So, please excuse my dare of telling you how to fix the wrinkles problem. It was not my intention to put Martin Logan into this position.

Happy listening!

At best the wrinkles stay discharged and make no noise, but if charged can only make distortion and/or cause HV leakage to the nearby stator. A wrinkle in a new panel would be unaccaptable to me.
But I would also suggest that these panels may have been mishandled after leaving ML and before reaching Electronoob...

Back