Just got some LX16's, first ever ML purchase.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJ

Reaction score
Been buying speakers since 1966 and thought I'd find out what all the fuss is about with the folded motion tweeter.

Still have 65+ hours of break in to go; bought these for music only in my secondary listening room using a small sub.

Should I expect dramatic changes with break in?

Metal grills seem like they belong on a BBQ, is it the general consensus to leave them in place or not?

I've never run without grills but then again, they've all been cloth with the exception of a handful.

First impressions are solid build quality, awesome binding posts, like to be played loud as the tweeter doesn't seem to come alive at moderate SPL's but perhaps that will change with time.

Last edited:
Hello from a Motion 15 owner. LX 16 produced before production of M15. Both are similar in appearance. Both have the same type of drivers. Components in the crossover may or may not be the same. I do not know.

I recall when I first played my Motion 15’s low frequencies made their presence felt the most followed by the treble. Initially vocals were thin or comparatively not have much presence. Burn in benefitted vocal reproduction the most. Of course there will be a audible difference before and after break in. If the grills are removed there is a minor improvement in sound. Not much.

From experience I know that Motion 15 and perhaps also LX16 will benefit hugely from corner placement. Try placing them in room front left and right corner at seated ear height the tweeter.

Thanks.

I'm running with a sub so I'm fine with the bass.

I'm just a bit disappointed in the tweeter at this point as the speakers sound quite laid back at the moment.

But good to hear that will indeed improve with time.

I have a hard time believing their sensitivity is truly 92db as my old ProLX5's measured at 82db sensitivity by Stereophile back in the day and they play louder at a given volume setting than the ML's.

Back