Built my first piece of home theater furniture

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCHeliGuy

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I designed and built a custom "coffee table" for my HT room.

It is the perfect height to eat off of while sitting on the couch and has a hidden ( recessed 4" from the front lip ) drawer for my remotes.

There is a raised lip at the top and I've spill tested it with 2 cups of water and it passed!

I've been working with wood for a couple years, but this is the first piece of furniture I've built.

It's nothing elaborate, but I'm pretty happy with it.

coffeetableInPlace3.jpg

remoteDrawer3.jpg

remoteDrawer2.jpg

Attachments

• installtrimHot5.jpg
    installtrimHot5.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Nice!! And that drawer was the most fun wasn't it?? :)

Nice!! And that drawer was the most fun wasn't it?? :)

Thanks!

From design to completion the drawer was about 4 hours. It's lined with green felt. The drawer is mostly white oak like the trim.

I built it out of wood I had laying around in my shop area, but if I had to do it over again considering the total time I spent, I might have built it completely out of hard wood.

Custom coffee table looks like immaculate design and manufacture. Top notch professional product.

Now you are working in at minimum three different sectors of the economy and have a diversified set of creative talents that you can rely on in case of recession affecting one or two of the above sectors of the economy.

Custom coffee table looks like immaculate design and manufacture. Top notch professional product.

Now you are working in at minimum three different sectors of the economy and have a diversified set of creative talents that you can rely on in case of recession affecting one or two of the above sectors of the economy.

When the economy tanked here in 2009, I did 80% of my work that year with New Zealand and 5% with Canada. I'm now back to 100% in the US.

I started woodworking accidentally when I started a project that was RC Helicopter related.

I wanted to build a battery charging tower and battery caddie with interchangeable battery storage.
I ended up with the following:

ChargingTowerInUse.jpg

caddiefullbatteries.jpg

But while the battery caddie was great, the charging tower was very heavy, so I build another charging box that was twice as powerful and 1/3 the weight.

AndroidAppRunning.jpg

Why do you need so many battery's? do you not get supply of electricity 24/7 ?

i understand that you are a creative person and like to create with words too.

Because I typically go to the airfield with a dozen or so fully charged batteries and fly until they are done.

A typical flight is about 5-7 minutes. If I plan to stay longer I bring a generator to the airfield and charge as I'm flying.

My larger helis use two batteries at a time connected together for a 12 or 14 cell configuration.

5300bats.jpg

These things use a lot of power. Two of my helis have 10kW motors in them.

This is an example of an excellent pilot draining his batteries in less than 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DQ4j7P0rI0

A picture of my fleet at the airfield taken a couple years ago. The smallest is now gone, but I have a couple more the size of the largest in this picture.
Airfield.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back