Anyone used "Acoustic Fields" Products? http://www.acousticfields.com/

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music again

Reaction score
Anyone used "Acoustic Fields" Products? http://www.acousticfields.com/

I have not seen any posts, even after searching the MLO site, so I decided to start a new thread.

I am not happy with the current sound coming from my Summits and attribute most of the problems to the room. I'm looking at moving them into the basement to test my theory. That room is 15 X 18'4" with a ceiling height of 6'10". It has a very nice drop ceiling that is only 6'10" high. There are two small windows in the front that can be covered and the back is actually open to a smaller room, There are two large arches with a center section 2' wide. The worst part is there is a large opening to the right front that leads to another room. So, lots of problems still, but it could be better than upstairs where the speakers are on the short wall with the couch up against the back wall and only about 12 feet from the panels. Oh well, enough of that . . . .

Because of the above described situation, I have been researching room acoustical treatments and there are plenty of options to say the least, and I have seen all of these companies mentioned on the MLO forum . . . . GIK, RPG, ASC (Tube traps), Real Traps, to name a few. However I recently stumbled upon a company in Arizona called . . .

Acoustic Fields. Here is their website: http://www.acousticfields.com/

Dennis Foley is the owner and seems to be as knowledgeable as any of the owners of the other companies mentioned above. Actually, I find his detailed and analytical approach refreshing and interesting. He has A LOT of videos on his website where he explains his reasoning for the development of his products. I also downloaded a tutorial on acoustics he provides when you sign up on his site. Visually most of his products are quite appealing.

They have sound absorption products (window panel that slides like a door to cover a large area if needed), a foam ladder, acoustic foam you can purchase separately, diffusors, combination diffusor/absorption products, and a lot more! He has large and heavy (try 150 and 225 pounds each) absorbers called "Activated Carbon Diaphragmatic Absorbers". Now the story behind these is intriguing! There are DIY diffusor kits, or you can purchase the plans and build your own. Actually you can buy the plans to a lot of their products and build your own.

I have no affiliation to this company but highly suggest that you take a look at his site and check out some of his videos. I have learned quite a bit about acoustics and how more often than not our issues are with the room and not our equipment! I tend to agree wholeheartedly! What we hear most is our rooms.

Has anyone used any of their products?

I would love to "hear" some "feedback" from members about this company's products!!!

PS: I am still reviewing his site and videos but have not yet found any direct discussion on ML products or dipole speakers except in casual mention. I may submit a question to him about that specifically if I don't find anything soon.

Thanks!

Joe M.

Last edited by a moderator:
27 views with NO responses.

Has no one ever heard of or used any of Acoustic Fields products?

If not, please check out their web site and offer your opinion. http://www.acousticfields.com/
Yes, I know some of the stuff is not cheap, but most good "gear" isn't.

There is a wealth of acoustic room related information that I am sure you would benefit from.

J.M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of them. They have an uphill battle as the other brands you mentioned are pretty well entrenched. I use a mixture of Real Traps and GIK acoustic treatments in my room and have been very happy with both.

Edit: After a quick perusal of their website, I would say it looks like they have quality products but they price themselves out of the amateur markets. Nice to see that they offer DIY build plans, though.

Last edited:
I visited one of their rooms and was blown away with their products. Probably the best low frequency absorption products I've heard to date.

I used to have ASC tube traps in a room. I've played around with other products like Cornings 703 absorption panels and variety acoustic foam products, but AF's acoustic foam is probably the most natural sound.

What separates them apart to me is their recommendations as to what treatment to use and where to place within the room.

Another great company is RPG, but there products are more costly and not necessarily as effective.

But overall, I would go with Acoustic Fields, it just costs a fair amount for an average sized room, but I don't think you'll find anything that handles low frequencies as well. It's just that most small rooms need a fair amount of boxes to manage LF properly. I would highly recommend their products. Also, their videos are quite informative and you can have on going discussions with the company which is always helpful.

Also, they have the smaller versions of their LF absorbers and even smaller versions of their diffusors so you can move them easier and in a more "modular" fashion.

As far as price compared to other brands? First off, you get what you pay for with AF. They mfg. EVERYTHING themselves with the exception of wood. But they do mfg. their own foam, rather than buying building insulation and wrapping it with fabric. They mfg. their own activated carbon, which they have the patent on, so there's no where else you can get carbon absorption products. And their build quality for their cabinets are exceptional. They are well built like high grade furniture, so their products are not going to fall apart. The only recommendation I would make is get the acoustic foam in the wood panel with fabric wrapping.

Latest posts

Back