New Anthem AVM-60 is an outstanding AV preamplifier...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
Hola. Well, I had bought about three months ago, the new Anthem AVM-60, and its replacing the Onkyo PR-SC886. I had modified a little bit this Onkyo preamp, changing some capacitors at the analogue audio output and the transistors for super low noise. Doing this, my perception of how this unit perform was substantially better for my ears. I measure with my TEAC signal to noise meter, -103dB on the left channel and -104dB at the right. I won just a few dB for better, but made for specially, classic music, a less noisy and less ear-fatigue overall sound. Then I made the change for the Anthem. The S/N is far better, and the overall sound of it is more real.

The unit exhibits more harmonic texture and its more friendly to use. The logical way to make the adjustments is a very nice feature. Now, what its important for me, is the sound quality . I do know that out there are incredible good sounding preamplifiers, and I assure you that this unit is not missing anything. The first impression that my ears earned, is the bass musical notes. It goes deeper and smoother. I did not know that previously I was not getting this kind of slam bass that I do now. The sound is more dynamic, and more precise in a certain way. I am using the same cables and the same sound devices that I have in my system. So I am very accustomed to them. But what its making me to say "WOW" is the communication that are with the musician(s) and the holographic presentation with 2 channel with my Exasound DAC E-20MKIII playing DSD format. The air between the musical instruments is very, very good. And its capturing the feeling of the musician with much detail and less effort to bring this to my ears. I am overwhelmed for the time that I spent with my Onkyo. I really did not know that I was going to get this remarkable differences in sound quality!

The midrange is very organic, having the wide colorful of the musical instruments. The percussion is very well defined and the brass is big! Sometimes, my wife and I love to see and listen waltz. Andre Rieu has some good sounding Blu Ray DVDs. The brass coming from these waltzes is quite impressive. Cymbals are crystal clear with the characteristic metallic sound. You can call easily if the drummer is using tips made of nylon plastic or just wood.

Resolving details is not the only thing that I find in this unit. Its just pure hi-end class sound!

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'm planning to upgrade my media room electronics this fall and the AVM-60 was very high on my list. I have most of the speakers except just need two more Vanquish for ATMOS. At Axpona this year I discussed with a rep. for about an hour and it was all very interesting. Currently have a Pioneer receiver but with the update want to do separates this time around. The main reason I initially was even interested is in the room correction since the 212's I have is essentially Anthem software. But after discussing it with the rep. he made it sound really good and you have just confirmed that. You did not mention the room correction in your post did you use it and how did it work? Also what amp or amps are you using? I'm thinking of the Parasound A31 3 channel then 3 A23's.

Hi Roberto,

Happy to know that you are delighted with performance of AVM 60 preamplifier. Wonderful that AVM 60 is an improvement over your modified Onkyo. However I feel especially in your case, not only AVM 60 responsible for overall great performance of your music system, but rather CLX, Audio Research etc. also contribute to the aural feeling of musicians being there in the room with you. Would be terrible if Anthem preamp was a constraining or limiting factor in your system. Happy to know preamp synergistically interacts and matches with the rest of your equipment.

I take this opportunity to inform you that recommended by you Anthem MCA 225 is performing well providing crisp, dynamic, resolved and clear music. Performance of this amp has improved and will improve further because burnout period not yet over.

Thanks very much for being the repository of audio advice for me and the rest of us at MLO.

Hope you have great fun listening to music!:music:

Hola GW. The Room Correction is great tool to have, and works fantastic. My speakers array is 5.1 and I do not picture myself going to ATMOS, being the best HT sound available on these days. The reason is that I listen more 2 channel sound than HT sound. Right now I am delighted with DSD digital format. My DAC is an Exasound E-20 MK III. It has the latest kit that the factory has. The audio signal from the AVM-60 goes to a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamplifier, just a signal pass through to mellow it. Then, the signal goes to my Audio Research power amplifier model VT-100 MKIII. I did made another modification here. I did change all the signal coupling capacitors and all the carbon resistors to metal film resistors. Also I am using 2uF capacitor value as the Ref 110 is using, and the output tubes are the KT-120. My CLXs are singing as never before.

As Rehan said, I had a Modified Onkyo AV processor, the model PR-SC886. All the analogue output stage for the front left and right channel is with better quality components with the same value. But these components made it to sing totally different than a regular Onkyo. Everybody had asked me why I had an Onkyo with the CLXs and that the unit was spoiling my sound. When they heard my system, all had conclude how nice and sweet was the over sound. But when I did change the Onkyo for this AVM-60, it smoked the modified Onkyo.

I do believe that I have a very good analogue gear (Golmund Studio with the T-3, Linn LP-12 and an Oracle Delphy VII MK II with the Syrinx PU2 tonearm. My speaker cables and IC are Nordost Blue Heaven. I do really like a lot my sound. I uded a lot the Koetsu Black, but right now I am using a cheap Denon DL-103R. Its a giant killer.

Thank you Rehan for your kind words. I am very happy to know that you really are enjoying your new Anthem power amplifier. There are so many brands in these days market place and to make a recommendation is very, very difficult. What I do know, is that there are many known brands that are not using the quality parts that you find inside the Anthem products. This is one of the features that I do like a lot from Anthem. Good quality parts are inside on every Anthem product.

Happy listening!

Back