Help confirming CLS version please

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjhorton1184

Reaction score
OK, so I have inherited my CLS speakers around 10 years ago and I can also confirm they are older than 26 years old since I first heard them at my wife's friends home before we got married 26 years ago. I have looked at the serial number decoder PDF and the serial numbers on my speakers don't match the decoder. I have CLS numbers 2640 and 2641. I strongly suspect that they are CLS-1's and not the II's that I previously thought that they were - am I correct?

If they are 1's, what are the best or most recommended mods? I need to chart a path back to the original magic that I remember when I first heard them over 26 years ago - starting with a shower cleaning as soon as someone will confirm just how to remove the panels from the frames.

I have 4 children with one still in college and another in high school and we are a 1 income household so my budget is tight, but my ARC D150 MKII (?) didn't survive the trip when I received the system and I have since gone through a Threshold amp as well and am in need of a good but cheap amp. I still have the CAL Aria CD player as well as teh ARC SP-9 preamp.

Ideas and suggestions more than welcome - I'm almost begging. :)

Hi SJ,

From ML website:

Original 86 - 89. Easy to tell since this had no vertical "bass section" segments / spars.

II. 89 to 90

IIA. 90 to 92

IIZ. 92 to ?

Should be able to confirm more exact dates and what specific model you have by contacting ML Service in Kansas.

Can also purchase replacement panels from ML but I believe they are very pricey. $3K +/-.

Hope that helps.

Gordon

PS: Amp. Check out Emotiva. Lots of watts for reasonable prices. Check on amp doubling down in power as speaker impedance dips. Quality unknown although some members have their gear and like it. Believe they offer a 30 day money back. Should verify.

Parasound is a good middle road company. More expensive than Emotiva I think. Can purchase this product through various e-store outlets with money back / return option.

Also check impedance match issue between your pre (output) and amp (input). If I recall correctly, rule of thumb is that the later should be a minimum of 10X's the former.

Last edited:
Thanks Gordon - I do have the sub panels, so definitely not CLS - most likely the CLS II as I had previously supposed. In that case, is there a mod path to the IIa and if so, is it worth doing?

As far as preamps go, I also have access to a Biamp Audia that I want to use for room EQing and also could use for digital crossover - but it is simplest to use the ARC SP-9 tubed pre. I am also not afraid of DIY amp projects although my soldering skills as well as my technician skills have fallen off since my leaving the Navy; was an Electronics Tech for 10 years and still make my leaving in the A/V industry, just not as a bench tech.

To track serial number history down with ML Service - just email them?

Thanks again.

Scott

Hola Scott, a pic will help a lot. Do you have any problem with these CLSs? If they sing nicely, do not change anything. Another rule here: do not touch what is working right. I had being a CLSs user since they came out. I had all the models, and each had its signature characteristic sound. I ended with the CLSIIz and changed them for the CLXs. A very different sound, but both have the Martin Logan magic. You can call ML for service assistance. They will send to you the procedure of how disassembly them. Giving a good shower will clean all the dust...but sometimes this is not enough. You have to change the panels, and this is a little expensive. You will get a 5 year warranty and also, you will be using the last type of diaphragm that ML is now using in all their products, but changing the CLSs panels, its a very expensive option. Happy listening!

Hi Sott, the previous information on panels is correct. Just today I was given the price of $1427.43 per panel plus shipping. These have the same spacers but new generation tape and coating. Good luck.

OK, so I have inherited my CLS speakers around 10 years ago and I can also confirm they are older than 26 years old since I first heard them at my wife's friends home before we got married 26 years ago. I have looked at the serial number decoder PDF and the serial numbers on my speakers don't match the decoder. I have CLS numbers 2640 and 2641. I strongly suspect that they are CLS-1's and not the II's that I previously thought that they were - am I correct?

If they are 1's, what are the best or most recommended mods? I need to chart a path back to the original magic that I remember when I first heard them over 26 years ago - starting with a shower cleaning as soon as someone will confirm just how to remove the panels from the frames.

I have 4 children with one still in college and another in high school and we are a 1 income household so my budget is tight, but my ARC D150 MKII (?) didn't survive the trip when I received the system and I have since gone through a Threshold amp as well and am in need of a good but cheap amp. I still have the CAL Aria CD player as well as teh ARC SP-9 preamp.

Ideas and suggestions more than welcome - I'm almost begging. :)

To remove panels from frame, my advice do not try yourself, especially attempt is first try in this regard, get help from ML authorized dealer in your area like i did when i had to remove panels. Do not use any kind of soap or other detergent to clean panels. And do not use warm water. Maximum temperature prescribed is neutral temperature water.

Lastly stop rinsing with water one side when water running down and out of the panels is clean or transparent. Time i took per side was 30 seconds to a minute.

I am not sure but i would imagine you would risk the foam separating the longer the panels are exposed to water than necessary. I repeat from my subjective successful experience cleaning never use soap and never use warm water. Give at least 5 days to dry. during this time do not squeeze the panel to see if its dry like i did or the foam will separate where you applied pressure to check for inside water.

You may have CLS 1 not CLS2. CLS 1 type 2 or version 2 had equal sized rectangular panels and center panels that increased in size when descending from top to bottom. For some unknown reason picture of this CLS type 2 not at ML website. Perhaps reason this version in production for only a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the replies and advice.

Roberto, not sure about posting pictures which I don't yet have, but as far as problems go, I am having to adjust the left channel/panel up 9db to get good center image. Unfortunately, I am having to use a Sony stereo receiver to drive them currently and the +9db is the displayed value and not measured and therefore may not be accurate as far as power being sent. I am hoping to build an amp that should be able to drive these more cleanly and/or with better control than the cheap Sony receive will. I do know what these are capable of sounding like as the gentleman I received them from had them singing from his ARC pre/amp setup. After I got them, I had to switch to a Threshold amp that sounded fine, but not as magical as I remember them sounding, but I didn't have the chance to discover if it was room placement or amp or... The Threshold amp was a "gimme" amp that was only working on one channel - due to blown fuse, which I replaced and then used the amp for a few months before it died for good - so it may have had other issues that degraded it's performance - but I never heard anything bad - just not the huge soundstage and not as "live" and airy as I remembered.

Showering is the cheapest/quickest/easiest first step to see if these 27 yr old beauties are still ready to sing, or if there needs to be more drastic measures to be scheduled/planned for.

Rehan, I read your post and will be careful to not squeeze any water out of the panels. Lukwarm/room temp water for sure and already scared of removing coating so nothing but water - and my shower also has a chlorine removal filter, so not distilled, but better than regular tap water.

I will update in a week or so after they dry out and I can retest them. Currently my sound room (converted garage) is confused about whether it is a storage room or a guest bedroom, but it is not my listening room. Hate when life imposes on my listening time, but it does seem to more often than not.

Right Scott. The first thing to do is to shower them. Its easier way to disassembly procedure is with two people. Call a friend for help, and this is the best way to go. You might get lucky with the washing. But with much due respect, if you do not have the right amp to drive them, there will be not highs at all. Remember that an electrostatic speaker, the load for the amplifier is capacitive, not inductive as regular the cone speakers or resistive as the Maggies. Happy listening.

Back