Aeon's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJ

Reaction score
I have run across a pair of Aeon's that are for sale $500.
Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of with this particular model of speaker?
I will be listening to them in the next couple of days.
I will be using them with my XT60's.
Any advice would be welcome.

Thank,
Mike

I have run across a pair of Aeon's that are for sale $500.
Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of with this particular model of speaker?
I will be listening to them in the next couple of days.
I will be using them with my XT60's.
Any advice would be welcome.

Thank,
Mike

Sorry. My first magical experience with Logan's was listening to the aeon. Heard with Mac gear. You will want them away from the front wall 5' or so. Check the panels - do both give same volume. Do they appear clean? Coming from a non smoker? I have odysseys. They are about 12 years old w no panel issues. What are the XT60s?

My set are a joy - I look forward to powering them up every chance I get!

My Aeons do not work well with banana plugs - they can be inserted into the end of the binding posts similarly to much other equipment, but the holes are not deep enough for a banana plug to be inserted completely and make a secure connection. It's unclear if this is by design, or if perhaps (unlikely) the previous owner may have swapped them out for whatever reason. Unfortunately for me, my best speaker cables all have factory terminated bananas on them...

I have received a suggestion to use locking bananas, but I haven't tried yet. I've been using spades since I purchased them.

When I bought my set, one panel was very slightly quieter than the other. I very carefully vacuumed with a soft brush attachment (spent about an hour carefully cleaning both sides of both panels) and the problem went away.

Mine are sensitive to humidity. output dropped to almost zero, and / or got popping noises on humid days. The basement in summer was a no-go (southeast Michigan). I added a dehumidifier and an air cleaner, and fabricated dust covers for the speakers when not in use. Problem solved.

The only other issue I can think of is that if you have any other equipment or cables not up to the Aeon's standards, that the speakers may expose those issues and you might find yourself doing a little upgrading!

My Aeon's are a joy. They're a little finicky about placement, dust and humidity, but in my opinion you won't be able to best them in that price range. I wouldn't trade them, save for another set of Martin Logans or something way more expensive. For $500, I'd buy another set today as long as they're in good order and clean. In my collection, they're bested only in certain midrange vocal tracts by a pretty nice set of Quad 57's , but only slightly and only at certain volume levels...and at MUCH more cost. Overall, I like the Aeon's better, and I suspect many people would agree. I've used many amplifiers from cheap receivers, to good solid state and Tube amps. Even an ebay / chinese 3.5watt tube amp sounded nice, just not very loud.

If they're in good shape, I wouldnt hesitate.

Back