Rel Stentor3 with Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadia150

Reaction score
Anybody using Stentors with their Summits. What crossover point are you using?

Anybody using Stentors with their Summits. What crossover point are you using?

I had multiple brand subs with my ML Summits including Martin Logan and M&K. The xover point really depends on your room challenges and your preference. ML Summits play fairly low so there is no "requirement" to fill in bass at, say 60Hz (e.g.: some monitors). BTW, I now have 2 Rel subs which are the best sounding to my ears. Enjoy!

I had multiple brand subs with my ML Summits including Martin Logan and M&K. The xover point really depends on your room challenges and your preference. ML Summits play fairly low so there is no "requirement" to fill in bass at, say 60Hz (e.g.: some monitors). BTW, I now have 2 Rel subs which are the best sounding to my ears. Enjoy!
yes they are. i have a great room ive set my rels at 24 hertz the stentor goes down to 15 hertz. so im using it for ambient recovery. the principle behind it is not to add more bass which it does. it is to make mid and treble more smooth and give a bigger soundstage ie more ambient recovery. they are only being used from 24 to 15 hz. a bass guitar when struck can have leading edge transients as hi as 30k. so when you cross them over like that you have no over lap. and retrieve that information its the total opposite of what you would think. i would think your summits would be flat a 60 hz so you have a overlap at 60hz and way above. i use to work for rel a while back. you should try that setup. i would imagine you have a lot of overlap from 60-200 hz giving you less recovery and to much overlap and smearing detail. try setting the rels much lower its alway better to have a slight gap than a overlap in frequencies always in any setup. try it and let me know what you think. always remember the lower you cross over the sub the more volume you need to produce the lower frequencies . I think yoiu will be blown away. i dont think you have heard them at there best yet. the rel is a totaly dif sub than anything else on the market i found 70 percent of the time they were setup wrong when i went to setup at people homes. what model do you own. are you using two subs? also setting up for music is totaly dif than setting up for movies. that is the reason rel gives you multiple connecion options. so your not going back and forth from music to movies cross over points. please try and let me know i think you will hear your system for the first time of what it is capable of doing. you basically have the rels set for movies.
also the ml subs and m&k are not even in the same league as the rels depending on what modelyou have.
Good luck please let me know what you think. i know your probably thinking this guy is nuts just trust me on this one. a total stanger lol

Last edited:
oh my goodness , my summits nearly shook the house down with bass on their own . can`t even imagine what it is like with rel subs

as said in above reply its not so much about getting more bass as smoothing out mid and treble. its more about opening up soundsatge and ambient recovery. hearing the room or hall. hearing the acoustic space. it will help bass like in piano which can be very hard to reproduce even for the excellent summits. we are talking about frequencies you dont hear but feel. do you have rel subs? i see your from tx where abouts? round rock where is that compared to frisco?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back