The DON / redux

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few sobering facts about border security.

The vast majority of illegal immigrants come to the United States legally and overstay their VISA's. 40% of them fly here.

Shitting bricks? No, but is seems funny with all the complaints about our country's debt that a large number of people are just fine with an increase in taxes to build a wall.

Those who come here legally are vetted. Not only is their criminal and medical history scrutinized, but they even look to see what sort of risk they are for coming here and being dependent upon welfare. But the solution to those overstaying their VISA's is greater enforcement of that program as well, not continuing to be lax when it comes to our border.

I live in county that is low in crime and I live in a great neighborhood, but I still lock my doors when away and at night. The fact that most illegals are good is of no consequence. Some of them are quite bad and they enter our country without us knowing a thing about them. Who wants that? Trump ran on securing the border, he won, and now he is at least attempting to do just that. Yeah for him. Concerning the cost, this is what I expect my tax dollars to go towards. The security of our nation, which includes the security of our borders, should be the number one function of our government.

Dave- I don't think democrats have been this upset since Lincoln announced he was going to free the slaves.

Kevin,

I am generally a democrat and I am upset because:

1) Our President is a pathological liar.

2) Our President threw his intelligence community under the bus and then blamed the press.

3) Our President is trying his best to stop the press from exercising their First Amendment rights. His admin. has called them his "enemy".

4) Our President has become obsessed with the fact that he didn't win the popular vote (narcissism / ego) and will apparently spend money to try to prove a non fact even though his legal staff said there was no indication of voter fraud in the election.

5) Our President is suggesting that we enact tariffs against countries that produce products imported to the USA which will ultimately cause a trade war and raise prices on US citizens that wish to buy that product.

6) Our President has put a "muzzle" on federal agencies to release reports that may be counter to his beliefs until that information is approved for release. One prime example is the EPA.

7) Our President supports his staff who say that it is OK to provide "alternative facts".

There are many more but I will stop there.

I will repeat that I want him to succeed but the above doesn't give me a great deal of confidence.

Best,

Gordon

This is good.

45 signed an Executive Order banning Muslims from seven countries with Muslim "majority" populations from entering the USA yesterday.

An Iraqi citizen who has worked for the US military for 10 years (thoroughly vetted / has Visa) and risked his life as a result was detained at the JFK airport.

Many CEO's from US tech companies have criticized this Order saying that it will be counterproductive to their company's best interests / services.

PS: Numerous lawsuits will likely follow. Three already has been filed regarding constitutionality of Order.

Last edited:
Well. I guess we have to really question whether there is a 'War' on terror and what that means exactly. I'm guessing that our borders were a bit tighter during WWII. And someone of German or Japanese culture was probably scrutinized quite a bit more.

I think this is a great example of alternate facts Gordon. Nothing you say is incorrect but someone can make an argument about increasing security , border etc.... which is the intent - other facts. And I'm not disagreeing with your statements or the fallout. This is a different world and the question becomes as a free society how do we deal with it?

What I'm seeing is serious escalation by people who should have voted to keep Trump from being elected in the first place.

There is a large percentage of the country that is completely outraged by the fact Trump got elected which is why there were many times more people protesting Trump in DC following his being sworn in than who came to watch the ceremony. A "Dump Trump" campaign started at midnight the day after the inauguration.

My feelings about this are mixed, but it appears that the Democrats now have a grass roots movement equivalent to the Tea Party in number and enthusiasm.

I suspect that there may be more turn over in Congress because of this, although the Senate seats up for grabs in 2 years are still probably pretty safe in GOP hands.

Trump has the lowest approval rating that we have ever had since we have been tracking the approval ratings of presidents.

I don't think the Democrats will have to reach far to find a candidate that can win the next presidential election.

Haven't seen anything close to the protests currently occurring since the 60's.

For students of recent history, that's significant.

Talk about an utter failure to bring Americans together after a contentious election.

Good job on 45's part.

PS: Where are all those Republican elected officials that called this action abhorrent, dangerous, etc. during the campaign? Same word the VP used in December.

Last edited:
I know half a dozen or so people who have told me they joined the ACLU and gotten subscriptions to the NY Times.

I've seen multiple threads on my timeline actively asking where they should send their money to do the most good and turn things around.

The momentum looks strong "right now". The real question is whether this will continue long enough to make a difference.

There is a large percentage of the country that is completely outraged by the fact Trump got elected

Well, if they had selected a better candidate than HRC chances are they wouldn't be needing their crying towels !

I don't think the Democrats will have to reach far to find a candidate that can win the next presidential election.

LOL...... I suspect the Republicans can make that statement as well !

Momentum??? Really?

Republicans have 33/50 'governorships'...the house...the senate...the presidency.

I know people that went to the women's march. Very disorganized with no singular message. Everyone was there for their particular cause.

So - here is the flip side of the negatives you portray. In one week one could say the following:
1 he is addressing health care. My entrepreneurial friend down the road pays 1000 per month with a 10k deductible. Ya think he is happy? Guessing others are too
2 attempting to help the country achieve oil independence by signing off on the pipeline and creating 28k jobs. These numbers and the benefits were outlined in a study by the obama admin but he refused to sign it (actually they said 42k jobs)
3 promised stronger borders and better approaches to allowing people in and is doing that as well
4 attempting to mend fences with countries where our relationships have been blown up back to Cold War status
5 attempting to mend our relationship w Israel
6 people middle class on up are quite happy with their stock portfolios at this moment.

You can disagree with whatever he is doing but I can guarantee there is a very large faction standing on their chairs applauding

So mark - after all of the miss-guided statements he made during the primary - and he won - you still think he is a walk-over in the next election? This guy IS the Teflon Don!!

This guy has been in office for a week and people are jumping off a cliff.

You noticed my quotes around "right now", meaning that the big question is whether this all of this sudden call to arms has staying power.

Only time will tell.

The ACLU said today that it has received $10,000,000 in donations and 150,000 new member since LAST SATURDAY.

That should be an indication.

The ACLU said today that it has received $10,000,000 in donations and 150,000 new member since LAST SATURDAY.

That should be an indication.

indication of what ?? .......... more 'cry-ins' ?

indication of what ??

What you are seeing is people becoming involved and taking action.

The last election had an extremely low voter turn out. We had millions of new voters registered to vote but we had over 10 million less people vote than in the last election.

I think people may take voting more seriously going forward.

Trump is proving to be a strong galvanizing force for the Democratic party or more like a wake up call.

The last election had an extremely low voter turn out. We had millions of new voters registered to vote but we had over 10 million less people vote than in the last election.

Trump is proving to be a strong galvanizing force for the Democratic party or more like a wake up call.

perhaps you're right, time will tell !

And this.

45 admin. announced that the "regular" two sitting members of the internal National Security Council (Intelligence Agency Head and chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff) will no longer attend the regular meetings unless there are "relevant" issues requiring their presence. One of the replacements is Steve Bannon, one of 45's political advisers.

Do we all feel "safer" now? :cool:

Little too late to do the "right" thing now.

And now.

45 fires acting Attorney General.

Anyone have any more doubts about 45's narcissistic, insecure personality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back