Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Thread: The DON / redux

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If anyone is wondering how America’s reputation in the world is faring these days, check out this headline from a South African newspaper:

Source: https://mg.co.za/article/2017-12-05-...ore-for-senate

I mean, on the one hand, who cares what a South African newspaper thinks of us? But on the other hand, holy crap, South Africa, of all places, is making fun of us, and they actually make a valid point!
    Yes. I have run into similar disdain from england. I think it's pretty global. He's an easy guy to dislike lol.

At House Intel meeting yesterday, 46Jr. testified (behind closed doors) about the Russian clusterf..k and refused to answer questions, based on client / attorney privilege, regarding conversations he had with 46 on this issue because "attorneys were in the room".

Keeps getting better everyday.
    Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12-07-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gray View Post
    At House Intel meeting yesterday, 46Jr. testified (behind closed doors) about the Russian clusterf..k and refused to answer questions, based on client / attorney privilege, regarding conversations he had with 46 on this issue because "attorneys were in the room".

This is an obvious dodge on a crucial issue and it may or may not be a valid assertion of privilege. If jr. is actually a client of this attorney, and if the attorney was there specifically to give advice regarding these communications, and not for some other unrelated purpose, then it may be a valid assertion. If those conditions weren’t present, then it’s not. Don’t hold your breath waiting to see if Congress aggressively follows up on that.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

"The Donald, The Younger" seems to have inherited all of the elder's lying s___bag ways without being enough of a sociopath to be convincing in any way.
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Jerusalem. About the most bone headed move he could have made. So much for bringing peace to the Middle East. Do we blame this on the Don, Jared, Evangelicals, wacko right wing Jews or some combination of the above. To all Americans in any foreign country, be very careful!!!!!!!!!

Super User

Yes ... the capitol of Israel.... Really - this is odd... Something that was put on the list of 'things to do' ...did I read this right - since Gerald Ford .... or it was discussed then - and just pushed off every 6 months for decades..... What the hell....Typical .... Lets tell everyone we have something in place stating it - but lets also put a provision in there to defer it every 6 months via a vote for decades??...To help the peace process???. Good gawd... I digress....

Re: people claiming client/attorney privilege or the 5th or whatever... I used to think the same - 'What do they have to hide?' Why 'behind closed doors'? My thought used to be 'just tell the truth'.... Unfortunately, again, it boils down to 'who's truth' ... and how one will frame it.... Unfortunately - I think if all of you were honest with yourselves - you would do the same because any divergence would obviously be a reason to show you have lied in the past, present, or will in the future... Best approach? Say nothing... Any good attorney would tell you that. Anything from the MLO Attorney at Large on this?

What I particularly enjoy is how things are framed - depending on who is doing the framing... 'behind closed doors ' (not you Gordon - just a very common phrase) - implies someone has something to hide and must be guilty. (how about -'lets not make this a bigger circus')... the tax plan is 'Armageddon' - You're kidding me right? Terms like 'aggregious' (sp?) .... Pick your adjective.... 'tumultuous' .... etc... Trump decided not to give a speech during the election cycle ... I think CNN said he was 'hiding' or used words similar.... 'Trump's team is in 'CHAOS'' ... It is laughable... All of these adjectives are meant to influence your thought.... Highlight them and you will see.... Unfortunately, everyone plays this game with the 'Crooked Hillary' or 'Lyin' Ted' Our Politics have truly become the SNL skit Franken & Davis put together in the 70s.... It was a parody back then - today it is truth.

Speaking of Al Franken..... So, he says that if due process was given a chance - he feels he would be vindicated.... Yet 36 Senators (Dems I think?) have asked him to step aside..... Really... This feels like a Sh*t show to show how honorable and commited our Democratic party is... Folks that horse has LEFT the barn!! I am not a 'fan' of him stepping aside if he thinks he is innocent or if the whole truth isn't being told.... To discuss this a bit further - and before doing so saying I respect women.... .... He took an obvious picture that was trying to punk a Playboy centerfold while she was sleeping ... with what appears to be HER camera --How long ago was this 25 years?? She had the pic.... She gets the film developed and sees this - with him having a goofy look on his face right out of SNL.... Meant as a joke - she didn't think it was funny - I get it.... and understand it.... But, really..... Whatever... not politically correct or appropriate... I think every situation should be treated based on intent etc... Conyers - yah - I saw that woman interviewed - She basically said he grabbed her head and pulled it towards his crotch... and was employed in some fashion within his office I believe... So the Secret congressional pay-out fund (that's Gordon and Rich's tax dollars - can you believe that??) gives her a 'severance' package of 27K....

So - in my opinion -- based on what I have seen and heard - I would not have put the hammer down on Franken - but would have on Conyers.... I've also stated I wouldn't vote for Roy Moore because of his bible thumping ways.... How centrist can I be? In the end - I think real victims pain is being glazed over... We will soon become numb to it if we aren't all ready.

I agree with a lot of your sentiments, timm. But I’ll just speak to the attorney/client privilege thing. I have no problem with someone asserting it if it is indeed applicable and I would agree that often it is the correct thing to do, even if you “did nothing wrong and have nothing to hide.” My problem is when it is misused to avoid topics you just don’t want to discuss. I don’t have any way of knowing whether that’s the case here or not. But it’s definitely a bad look for Jr. to assert the privilege in this instance, since the questions were about a call between Jr. and Sr. about how to respond to the public disclosure of his meeting with the Russians. Such a conversation has the appearance of elements of obstruction written all over it. So clamming up about that conversation looks really bad.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

At least he and Melania remembered Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. Maybe they got the date wrong, but they remembered.

I don't know which is worse, incompetence over something like this, or doing it intentionally as a media grab. It's a LOSE:LOSE either way.
    Last edited by RCHeliGuy; 12-07-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Gordon, you keep referring to "46". Are you thinking (perish the thought) of 45 devil's spawn becoming 46?

Oops, my bad. Perish the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by timm View Post
    So the Secret congressional pay-out fund (that's Gordon and Rich's tax dollars
    Hi timm,

It's everyone's tax dollars. Looking forward to the big "reveal" regarding who used the "get out of jail" fund without suffering the consequences.

Best,

Gordon

I heard a segment on the news today that when Paul Manafort was searched they removed 36 laptops. Yikes, I have trouble finding things on one laptop.

I hope they found the explanation key, as you would have to have some system to know what each was used for.

Super User

Hi timm,

It's everyone's tax dollars. Looking forward to the big "reveal" regarding who used the "get out of jail" fund without suffering the consequences.

Best,

Gordon
    Haha. I know Brother Gordon. We are in this together.

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by RCHeliGuy View Post
    At least he and Melania remembered Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. Maybe they got the date wrong, but they remembered.

I don't know which is worse, incompetence over something like this, or doing it intentionally as a media grab. It's a LOSE:LOSE either way.
    They got Dec 7 wrong??? I was saying just today - kids don't know this date. I was born 20 years later and know it. By the way where were you today - 37 years ago? One of the saddest days of my life really.

Quote Originally Posted by timm View Post
    They got Dec 7 wrong??? I was saying just today - kids don't know this date. I was born 20 years later and know it. By the way where were you today - 37 years ago? One of the saddest days of my life really.
    Sorry, Melania Tweeted about it being November 7th and Trump misquoted President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Dec 8th speech. They didn't both get the date wrong. I think the issue is just that they don't care enough to be careful. Trump will "wing it" and hope it is close but not care if he got it right. Melania at least deleted her tweet when she found out it was wrong. They just don't seem to care or take anything seriously.

If it matters, in 1980 I was a freshman in HS. December 8, 1980 was a Monday, so I was probably in school. At the time I wasn't into music much and didn't watch the news so John Lennon's death wouldn't have registered with me. It wasn't for another year or two that I started to get into music. I mostly liked RUSH, Def Leppard, AC/DC, back then.

The first news event that I remember exactly where I was when I found out about it was when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded in 1986. I was working in the cafeteria of my college dorm checking off names as kids went in to eat.
    Last edited by RCHeliGuy; 12-09-2017 at 04:24 AM.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Holy $hit!!! We did it. Deep red, solidly conservative Alabama elected a democrat to the U.S. Senate! I honestly never believed it would happen. Don’t give us too much credit though. Over half a million people still voted for the racist, misogynist, Bible-thumping Roy Moore. Doug Jones only won by a little over 10,000 votes [edit: looks like the final tally was a 20,000 vote margin] with a total of more than 1.2 million votes cast. So 49% of the state still had no problem with Moore. That’s rather sickening.

Here’s the interesting thing. There were over 22,000 write-in votes. I guarantee every one of those were republicans who simply couldn’t hold their nose (and morals) and vote for Moore. Had they done so, it would have swayed the election the other way. So kudos to those conservatives with a conscience.

This race will have national implications. Moore was supported by Trump and Bannon, but not by McConnell and the Washington establishment. That’s a win for the establishment in the fight for the soul of the Republican Party, which will have serious repercussions in the 2018 midterm elections. And in the meantime, the Republican majority in the senate is razor thin. The chances of the dems taking back the Senate in 2018 just went up tremendously.
    Last edited by Rich; Today at 01:23 PM.
    Rich