Do you use room correction with your ESL's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ML Goat

Reaction score
Curious if you guys use Audyssey,YPAO,MCACC ect for listening to music. What are you experiences with it? I got another panel under warranty yesterday. Now they both register at +1.0 after running audyssey, where the other panel was coming in at +6. Sounds great now. I listen to music in 2 channel with a sub. I noticed that Audyssey XT32 tightens up the image, but almost sounds like it looses something. Even with xt32 off, the subs still sound like it blends well with the Em ESL's. Also sounds like the sound stage is more open without xt32.

I have a pair of Electromotion ESL and I use Dirac room correction on a Windows 10 PC.
The PC happens to be also the main source, since my music collection is in .flac format (plus a thousand of CDs on the shelves).
I've been using room correction since 2004, when the only option was the TacT preamplifier; unfortunately that company is closed, some of the know-how being transferred to Lyngdorf.

I played with it for a little while, but experimented with speaker placement and am very happy with the end result so I'm running music straight through with nothing but volume control and no other control over the signal.

I spent just enough time in professional audio working on digital mastering consoles to understand the balance between IIR and FIR filtering and how IIR can be used at low frequencies and FIR can work at high frequencies without destroying the sound stage, but every time I play with any sort of equalization I always come back to none. For some reason no modification seems more consistent across a wide range of music. Once you start equalizing, in my experience you eventually end up wanting different adjustments for different music vs. just adjusting for the room. As always YMMV.

I've been using room correction since 2004, when the only option was the TacT preamplifier; unfortunately that company is closed, some of the know-how being transferred to Lyngdorf.
I loved my TacT 2.2XP right up until TacT's owner stole off into the night, leaving users with no ongoing product support. Forced me to move on to a newer, better product. Having used SoTA RC for years, now, I'd never again do without.

....but every time I play with any sort of equalization I always come back to none. For some reason no modification seems more consistent across a wide range of music. Once you start equalizing, in my experience you eventually end up wanting different adjustments for different music vs. just adjusting for the room......
In theory required due to the lack of mastering standards - see Toole's "Circle of Confusion". In practice, once I settled on a base target curve, there are very few recordings I really need to futz with to get proper spectral balance. As you say, YMMV.

I've been playing around with a Lyndorf RP-1 for the last year or so with very satisfying results. Unfortunately this model is not available anymore but maybe you can fidn it second hand or so?
Easy to setup and to use. I regards this as the biggest upgrade I've done in the recent years.

Dirk

Only for the bass (sub). So in a purist sense "with my MLs" the answer is no. But in my ML system? - Yes.

Only for the bass (sub). So in a purist sense "with my MLs" the answer is no. But in my ML system? - Yes.

I was watching a video that showed someone putting their sub woofer in their sweet spot and then walking around the room to listen to potential places to place a subwoofer while listening for where bass was full range and not one note.

I have to wonder how well that works in practice. Anyone ever try that?

As odd as it sounds Mark, it does work.
I have used it a few times. As you said place the subs where you sit. Play music with some low end and do the "Sub Crawl". Literally crawl around on the floor and see where the base is the strongest. Then move the sub or subs to the best places.
It may turn out that you can't place a sub there but it works.

I was watching a video that showed someone putting their sub woofer in their sweet spot and then walking around the room to listen to potential places to place a subwoofer while listening for where bass was full range and not one note.

I have to wonder how well that works in practice. Anyone ever try that?

It does work, and is based on solid theory.

As I point out in the guide for setting up RC with ESLs, getting the mesurements just right is part of the secret to a good vs a bad RC experience.

Keeping in mind these are large dipoles, making sure the rear-wave does not unduly influence the RC is the key to an effective vs destructive RC result.

So regardless of Audyssey vs Dirac vs Trinnov, where you place the mic during sampling is critical.

I do layered RC, with a few select low-freq adjustments for the subs in the speaker processor (a DBX DriveRack 4800), then apply Audyssey XT-Pro overall. I much prefer this to the unprocessed result, and the REW measurements confirm the significant reduction in room resonances and a smoother frequency response.

I do wish I could step up to Trinnov in an Altitude32, but am waiting to see if they will support MQA.

I was thinking of buying the Trinnov altitude. Anyone using one of those?
Yes, it's the ne plus ultra processor - if that's what you want/need.

If you plan to set up >11 speakers e.g. 7.1.6 etc., it's the only game in town. Simple to active bi/triamp and IMHO, it's the best room correction, bar none.

I was thinking of buying the Trinnov altitude. Anyone using one of those?

Yes I have the altitude32-16. I used the meridian 861 v8 but sold it about a month ago. I use it for multi channel. Changed from Meridian to achieve Dolby Atmos etc.
GaryG

You have an expensive system and lots of experience. I was wondering how much support from the dealer should be negotiated prior to purchase. When you had yours installed, did it seem like a difficult or complex install? Was it more involved than the Meridian? Please let me know our thoughts along those lines. Regards, Duke

Duke, I have been an audiophile since 1972 when I purchased a Marantz 2270 receiver and a pair of Pioneer CS 99a speakers. back then it was simply connect a pair of copper wires and play.if you added a component just connect the RCA plugs. Todays equipment is a different beast. With the Meridian 861 the dealer brought the unit to my place. It was replacing a Proceed AVP2 so speakers and equipment were in place.He connected his computer through his RS232 and configured the 861with my equipment.then finally ran MRC (Meridian Room Correction) and I was set. No fuss no muss.But thats not me. As soon as he left I connected my RS232 and began to learn what was going on the manual was some help. Meridian dealers are a pretty good resource but the best resource I found was the meridian users site called meridian Hitchhikers, a very valuable resource indeed. As for cost, I negotiated my deal trough Meridian USA headquarters in Atlanta under unusual circumstances and when done I was very satisfied with the deal and I say nothing but good things about Meridan.

Fast forward to today. I received my Altitude32 on December 31st and due to time constraints did not open the box until March. Trinnov does not have the extensive dealership network that exits with Meridian. In fact I called the distributer for the entire USA in Los Angeles discussed the unit and what I wanted to do then asked where do I go to see/purchase. and was told they were currently establishing their dealer network. I told him my favorite dealer was Mike Ware in AZ. Then Chuck from Sound Developments (the distributor) called Mike and they set up a dealership and I ordered the fully loaded unit from Mike. Thus far I have been on my own. There is an altitude32 thread on AVS forum in fact Ken (RUR) regularly posts there. the thread has nearly 2000 posts and many are informative.

I am currently waiting for some custom acoustics to arrive from GIK then I will have an expert, Curt Hoyt, come in from LA and do the proper calibration. Curt has been waiting patiently for me to be ready for him and has been helpful with advice. He also posts regularly on AVS and like the old EF Hutton commercials when Curt posts the readers "listen". FYI I'm paying separately for Curt's service. I have not had any problems with the user interface but this is not your fathers stereo

If you want more than 7.1.4 and there is nothing wrong with 7.1.4 you'll need the Trinnov. Great unit and it allows me reasonable pass thru to my 2 channel.

GaryG

Last edited:
Thank you for your candid and prompt reply. You are very generous to post and it speaks volumes what kind of person you are.
I was having the same issue from my dealer because he basically told me the same thing regarding support and he is not a Trinnov dealer. I might have to try dealers in the Chicago or Milwaukee area to find proficient regional help such as Curt Hoyt can provide.

Thank you for your candid and prompt reply. You are very generous to post and it speaks volumes what kind of person you are.
I was having the same issue from my dealer because he basically told me the same thing regarding support and he is not a Trinnov dealer. I might have to try dealers in the Chicago or Milwaukee area to find proficient regional help such as Curt Hoyt can provide.
Duke, I'd call Curt and see what can be arranged. For example, I know of a Chicago new owner who's on the cusp of flying Curt into town to set up his Altitude. If you and he can time things right, you could share at least the travel portion of Curt's fees. Even if that particular client matchup didn't work for you, Curt travels east often enough that you may be able to share travel expenses with some other Midwest/eastern client.

Alternatively, Curt can VNC into your machine and perform a remote calibration, and I know plenty of clients have chosen this option as an initial step.

Be careful who you choose! After spending a boatload of money on an Altitude, you really want someone who knows what they're doing when performing your initial cal/install. Curt's been doing this with Trinnov for years. Most new dealers/installers are still on a learning curve.

Latest posts

Back