System #512 (Ethos)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willem S.

Reaction score
1. Member name: Willem S.
2. Location: Groningen, Netherlands (EU)
3. ML Model: Ethos
4. Purchase: 2016
5. Mods/Change: replaced the power chords
6. Associated electronics: pre/amp: NAIM NAC282/NAP 200 + HiCap DR, Linn turntable + Benz Mciro Glider, powered by Dynavector, NAIM CD5x cd player and a Sony minidisc player;
7. My experience with Martin Logan: only little sofar, heard them a while ago at the local hi-fi shop while looking for a replacement for my Ovators S400. Heard some more speakers afterwards and got back tot the ML Ethos in the end. Had them home from the dealer just to try them and decided te keep them beacuse they sounded wonderfull. Have been using them now more than a week and I love them, so open and transparant However, I'm still figuring out how to deal with the bass knob. It's -2 by default now. Classic and most jazz goes well on -2 but sometime the bass just gets really heavy and a littlebit annoying so I have to turn it back to -5 or lower. Maybe I should to figure out the placing of the speakers some more.(Now 4 ft between wall and panels). So, things do to! But nice things!!

Attachments

• ML Ethos-1.jpg
    ML Ethos-1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 425
Last edited by a moderator:
very nice Willem, although I must admit I get a back ache looking at how far you have to bend over to operate your TT !

Very nice indeed. With that said, I don't know if I would feel comfortable with the Ethos' spikes being that close to the edges of those plinths.

The further away you place dynamic speakers from joining of x,y and z axis of the room, that is further away from corner of the room the weaker bass will become.

Please try experimenting or trial and error, with placement of Ethos in the room for optimum sound.

I observed with my Motion 15 that the further out i placed them in the room weaker the low frequencies.

The FL and FR corner placement produces solid low frequencies in dynamic speakers.

have fun listening to music.:music:

Roberto being a very thoughtful person gave me the following advice to save me the problem of moving my loudspeakers around:

Its very important to find the exact position where they do sing along with the room and where do you have the golden seat. Inches will do a big difference. You have to trust your ears, and train them for the right sweet spot.

Here is little trick that helped me to find where is this position. You do not have to be moving around all the room to find this position.

1) place them as follows: measure the back wall and find the center. From that center, if you have them 2 meters away from each other, 1m to the left goes the left speaker, and 1 meter to the right, goes the right speakers. The CLS should be about 80cm from the center of their frame to that back wall. Do not use any subwoofer here. Concentrate in the bass response. Play a jazz combo for this purpose. Listen carefully the deeper bass notes, then move your seat, forward only 10cm. Listen again, and listen if the bass notes are more deeper. Write down in a piece of paper your findings.

2) do the same thing 10cm more forward and do the same listening procedure. If the bass is not as your demand, move your chair to the back of the room. As you get close to the back wall of you, the bass will be increased. Find the golden seat position...not just where you have your seat right now. Room boundaries if the clue. Its easier to move the chair, instead moving them around.

3) Choose the place where you did like it better and put your seat right there!!! You should be seating between them about the same distance that they have from each other or more, Never less than what they are apart.

Thnx Rehan for your work-around. Seems like a good way to improve te positioning. I'll give it a try. Meanwhile my dealer offered to come by soon with some new software device to optimize accoustics.

Thnx Rehan for your work-around. Seems like a good way to improve te positioning. I'll give it a try. Meanwhile my dealer offered to come by soon with some new software device to optimize accoustics.

Why you are most welcome Willem S.. However credit, should you find a good listening position applying Roberto's advice for loudspeakers placement, may be given to Roberto.

Back