Configuring Three HT Front Speakers with 4' Offset

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewC

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to maximize space in my theater room so would like to put the screen against the far wall (180" screen), with no separation for the wall. However I'm also committed to optimizing the layout for the very best sound quality, so want the speakers about 4 feet from the back wall.

The center speaker needs to track closely to the screen for off-axis viewers, so seems the center speaker needs to be against the wall with the screen. Are ML center speakers ( I have a Theater i) made to not need the same distance from back walls? I ask because I so often see them mounted on back walls.

If the center speaker and screen are against the wall, is it a problem to then pull the left and right front speakers out 4 feet from the wall to improve audio quality, or does that create problematic inconsistencies in blending with the center speaker that is four feet behind it in this scenario?

I'm using Martin Logan Theater i center and SL-3 speakers for left and right fronts. The room is fairly large 20' wide and about 40 ft long (screen as along the 20 foot wall). Screen is 180" and the SL-3 left/right speakers are on the sides of the screen, the center is underneath the screen (the screen is not audio transparent).

Thank you!

Hello, I'm trying to maximize space in my theater room so would like to put the screen against the far wall (180" screen), with no separation for the wall. However I'm also committed to optimizing the layout for the very best sound quality, so want the speakers about 4 feet from the back wall.

The center speaker needs to track closely to the screen for off-axis viewers, so seems the center speaker needs to be against the wall with the screen. Are ML center speakers ( I have a Theater i) made to not need the same distance from back walls? I ask because I so often see them mounted on back walls.

If the center speaker and screen are against the wall, is it a problem to then pull the left and right front speakers out 4 feet from the wall to improve audio quality, or does that create problematic inconsistencies in blending with the center speaker that is four feet behind it in this scenario?

I'm using Martin Logan Theater i center and SL-3 speakers for left and right fronts. The room is fairly large 20' wide and about 40 ft long (screen as along the 20 foot wall). Screen is 180" and the SL-3 left/right speakers are on the sides of the screen, the center is underneath the screen (the screen is not audio transparent).

Thank you!

Hi,

I have not really tried multi-channel music or home theatre the way experts arrange music equipment.

However, I would imagine, to obtain the same volume level reaching the listening position, the center and FL and FR speaker have to be placed on the same straight line.

If the FL and FR loudspeaker are 4’ feet forward and the center channel next to the screen. That is not on a straight line connecting all 3. Not a Problem. You will have to use room correction software along with a mic. to optimize sound reaching the listening seat.

If, you do not have room correction software. Then, you have to try the old fashioned trial and error or experiment with all three loudspeaker placement by moving them around to see where you get best sound.

The following is electronic expert and my friend Roberto’s advice to me for stereo speaker placement.

“Its very important to find the exact position where they do sing along with the room and where do you have the golden seat. Inches will do a big difference. You have to trust your ears, and train them for the right sweet spot.

Here is little trick that helped me to find where is this position. You do not have to be moving around all the room to find this position.

1) place them as follows: measure the back wall and find the center. From that center, if you have them 2 meters away from each other, 1m to the left goes the left speaker, and 1 meter to the right, goes the right speakers. The CLS should be about 80cm from the center of their frame to that back wall. Do not use any subwoofer here. Concentrate in the bass response. Play a jazz combo for this purpose. Listen carefully the deeper bass notes, then move your seat, forward only 10cm. Listen again, and listen if the bass notes are more deeper. Write down in a piece of paper your findings.

2) do the same thing 10cm more forward and do the same listening procedure. If the bass is not as your demand, move your chair to the back of the room. As you get close to the back wall of you, the bass will be increased. Find the golden seat position...not just where you have your seat right now. Room boundaries if the clue. Its easier to move the chair, instead moving them around.”

If you follow Roberto’s advice for SL3 placement. Then the remaining work involves placing the center channel in the middle. Moving center channel forward and backward to see where blends in perfectly with SL3’s.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back