SL3 vs. Current ESL or ElectroMotion?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewC

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting. Great forum, very happy to have found it.

I have 17 year old SL3's. It's getting to be time to change the panels, but they're expensive at $1300.

Wondering whether it would be better to take that $1300 plus the sale of the SL3's (not sure used market pricing now, maybe $1000?) and apply that $2300 or so toward newer ML speakers.

How would newly re-panneled SL3's compare in sound quality to the current ElectroMotion ESL / ElectroMotion ESL X speakers? Or compared with Theos and Ethos if I could find them used or open box/refurb?

I run the SL3's both as a 2 channel music system and as a 7.1 channel home theater with a "Theater i" center and Stylos sides. The room I play them in is fairly large, 20' x 40'

Thanks!

It is really a case of you'll have to listen and see.

Of course, any model with working panels will give you initial "treble-shock" because you are not used to it. You may equate that to be more appealing (more detail, better presentation, more finesse, revealing) or less appealing (harsh, aggressive). It's just someting to be aware of, because neither will necessarily mean the speaker sounds better or worse than your SL3.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the EM speakers - as nice as they are, your SL3 is a high end model and in a diferent class.

As for the others, listen.

I can honestly say that my 18 year old SL3's (with original everything) sound much better than my brother's 6 month old ElectroMotion ESL's. The ESL's sound good, but they just don't have the body and natural sound of the SL3's.

Hi,

If you have owned the SL3 for 17 years that is you are the original owner. The SL3’s would have sentimental value since they have been a part of your life and throughout 17 years providing good service.

If you are patient you may be able to purchase Theos and Ethos unused at approx. near half price when the new ML loudspeakers come online for sale.

I would not recommend the EM-ESL because to sound best needs to be matched to suitable power amplifier. Loudspeaker sensitivity is average. Has smaller electrostatic panel than SL3. Ergo compared to SL3 does not play loud.

While sentimental value speaks in favor of replacement SL3 panel. However you must keep in mind that the woofers are 17 years old too and will be in need for replacement too soon. An added expense.

Conclusion:

On the one hand, I would recommend purchase of Ethos on sale at near half price [ $3k - $3.5k ]within the year following launch of new ML products. On the other hand, If the sentimental value for SL3 is high go for first replacement panels then second new woofers when they have given up their ghost.

I would value SL3 like follows. Sales price in existing state $1k. Panels $1.3k. Pair woofers $1k. Total $3.3k. Plus value of sentiment or loyalty.

The ethos would have new technology when compared to SL3 and would be on sale valued approx. same price. Range $3k to $3.5k.

Hope the above advice helps you decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they have been totally abused over the years or have rotted foam surrounds (which they don't, they have rubber), there's no reason why the SL3's woofers should need replacing.

I have had speakers from the late 70's to early 80's (Klipsch Cornwall II's / JBL L112's), from my father and oldest brother, all with original drivers fully intact and operational. Other than the JBL's needing a re-foam in the late 90's, they were perfect, and he wasn't as polite to them as my father was to his Cornwall's. Both pairs of speakers were finally sold a few years back, still perfect operating order.

My SL3's are 18 years old and the original woofers in them were rattling the apartment away yesterday at peaks of 108 dB without a single issue. That's the first I've played any speakers that loud in years, but the SL3's were happily singing away.

Yes, new panels (if needed) run around $1300, but I have read that the new panels are improved with newer panel technology, which provides improved sound performance. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But for an additional $1300, I think updated SL3's would be hard to beat.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, new panels (if needed) run around $1300, but I have read that the new panels are improved with newer panel technology, which provides improved sound performance. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But for an additional $1300, I think updated SL3's would be hard to beat.

You are right. The replacement panel are built to newest standard with newest materials. If woofers do not need to be replaced. Then, i too agree, SL3's would be hard to beat.

Not to hijack the thread but I saw a pair of SL3 on my local CL for $1,300. Is that a good price?

Wow, thanks for the incredibly valuable feedback.

No sentimental value, I just picked them up recently then realized the aging panel replacement issue and cost (had been unaware of that issue when I bought them). But I do like them very much, and spending an extra $1300 to make them "like new" and even getting upgraded panel technology is not a problem, and has some appeal. Though I'm very happy to hear there is no reason to expect the woofers to go bad.

I know the previous owner and he barely used them, most of the 17 years they were not used at all, not even connected to a system. Stored in a dry clean environment, they are pristine. I'm only assuming the panels need replacement based on age alone.

I'm so impressed that these older speakers stand up to the newer models. I really love how they sound.

So with this feedback I'm in no rush, will just keep my eyes open should a good deal come up on Ethos, or perhaps an upgrade in the older line to Odyssey, Prodigy, or Vantage. Maybe wait a little bit before upgrading the panels to see how to allocate that $1300.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the incredibly valuable feedback.

No sentimental value, I just picked them up recently then realized the aging panel replacement issue and cost (had been unaware of that issue when I bought them). But I do like them very much, and spending an extra $1300 to make them "like new" and even getting upgraded panel technology is not a problem, and has some appeal. Though I'm very happy to hear there is no reason to expect the woofers to go bad.

I know the previous owner and he barely used them, most of the 17 years they were not used at all, not even connected to a system. Stored in a dry clean environment, they are pristine. I'm only assuming the panels need replacement based on age alone.

I'm so impressed that these older speakers stand up to the newer models. I really love how they sound.

So with this feedback I'm in no rush, will just keep my eyes open should a good deal come up on Ethos, or perhaps an upgrade in the older line to Odyssey, Prodigy, or Vantage. Maybe wait a little bit before upgrading the panels to see how to allocate that $1300.

Thank you!

If you've written off the panels, why not try showering your existing ones? You might end up with "good as new" for $0.

If you've written off the panels, why not try showering your existing ones? You might end up with "good as new" for $0.

Amey01 your suggestion is very good. Rinsing the panels if done right does the trick to bring panels back from the grave. However, rinsed panels, if I recall right, do not sound like few years old panels OR unused panels. Rinsing with water, however, does roll back the years.

Adam, hope you are okay and doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andrew,

Had the SL3. Great speaker.

If you decide to keep and want to do some simple mods, see my thread in the "Tweaks" section. Bottom of Page 2.

Gordon

Hola... the model SL-3 is one of the best products that ML had done. A very good sounding overall speaker! You can't go wrong with it, even having to buy new stat panels.

Happy listening!

Of course, any model with working panels will give you initial "treble-shock" because you are not used to it. You may equate that to be more appealing (more detail, better presentation, more finesse, revealing) or less appealing (harsh, aggressive). It's just someting to be aware of, because neither will necessarily mean the speaker sounds better or worse than your SL3.

Does this "treble-shock" apply specifically to the newer/current ML models? if it's "any model with working panels", what is it giving you a shock relative to?

Doesn't sound very favorable the way it's described here. Thanks!

Does this "treble-shock" apply specifically to the newer/current ML models? if it's "any model with working panels", what is it giving you a shock relative to?

Doesn't sound very favorable the way it's described here. Thanks!

Just that you tend to get used to the sound you are getting from your system. When you hear something different (albeit better, or even just normal) you get a bit shocked.

Back