odyssey crossover resistor question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffrie

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Need some advice. Thinking of upgrading the resistors to Duelund but wattage
available are 5 or 10 watts. If I remember correctly the resistors in the Odyssey
crossovers are 30 watt rating so would it do any harm if I use either 5 or 10 watts
Duelund resistors as repacment

many thanks

Hi Guys
Need some advice. Thinking of upgrading the resistors to Duelund but wattage
available are 5 or 10 watts. If I remember correctly the resistors in the Odyssey
crossovers are 30 watt rating so would it do any harm if I use either 5 or 10 watts
Duelund resistors as repacment

many thanks

Specifically to your case, do not know, since not electronics expert.

However common sense predicates that electrical items must have exact replacement value

or range of values. Manufacturer or make may be different but not electrical parameters or

specifications of replacement component.

I may be mistaken but 30 watt resistor will impede or resist electron charge flow different from 10 watt resistor.

So precise values may be critical to overall safe operation of overall circuit.

Hope the above helps.

Have fun listening to music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola. When you have a resistor, it has two values. One that is rated in ohms, and the other is the heat dissipation and the value is in watts. You can increase this heat dissipation, but never use a lower value. Why? I will get fried!. You must use the same heat dissipation value or might increase this value for more watts, but never lower. Regarding the ohms value, you can not change this value because you will change the behaviour of the circuit. Resistor means that it oppose to the flow of the current and the voltage. Resistors make possible to have the exact current and the exact voltage that you want at precise points of the circuit. This circuit could be active, having tubes or solid state devices, or passive...having only resistors, capacitors and inductors.

In other words, do not change any value of the circuit of your Odysseys. If you do that, you will change the crossover passive circuit. You do not want to do that.

Happy listening!

Per the attached schematic, ML used 20W resistors everywhere in the Odyssey XO and EQ, but they are combined in different ways, sometimes in series and sometimes in parallel, to make up new resistor values with different power ratings. If you simplify the schematic to show the new individual resistor values, you can estimate the actual required power handling for each instance.

ex: RX5//RX6 (2x 10R,20W in parallel) is 5R 40W equivalent. But there's no need for 40W in this location, so a new 5R, 10W resistor would suffice here.

Attachments

• ML Odyssey xo.pdf
    14.1 KB · Views: 212
Also, if you replace resistors, make sure the replacements are non-inductive. Many power resistors are 'wire-wound'...a resistance wire wound around a ceramic tube and coated with epoxy. The turns of wire form an air core inductor, so in addition to the electrical resistance, you'll also get inductive reactance which will change the resistor value with varying frequency, as well as other things like phase angle of the current vs voltage (think distortion). Wire wound resistors are fine for DC circuits, but get progressively worse as frequency goes up.

Latest posts

Back