Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: News from Munich High-End, Two New Masterpiece Series Electrostatic Speakers

I wander if the Ethos and Theos will be replaced by one speaker. And will it be of the Masterpiece class or Electromotion?

Thanks very much DevinZ for providing details of the much eagerly awaited Martin Logan loudspeakers.

I like their visual design. Impressive.

I think this becomes a win for folks like myself. I won't be able to get into any of these, but I suspect Ethos prices will come way down.

I really do like the looks of these though. I'm assuming this is the Montis, Ethos replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I like the rectangular look on the wide speaker (Renaissance) as compared to the angular box on my Summits. But on these, the boxes look too long and narrow to me.
    I'm with Rich on this, but if he wanted to send me a pair as a gift, I would not turn them down! One can only dream.

Quote Originally Posted by M15 View Post
    Thanks very much DevinZ for providing details of the much eagerly awaited Martin Logan loudspeakers.
    You're welcome.
    The man. The myth. The legend.

Quote Originally Posted by RCHeliGuy View Post
    I think they will have more trouble getting past the WAF. The Montis and Summit X looked sexier in comparison. I have no doubt that they are shaped the way they are for good reason. It is unfortunate that appearance is such an important part of most speaker purchases. As it is I'd be happier and so would my wife if my speakers were invisible. I'd never get these past my wife at least in our current home.
    The good reason being they can't be any wider than the panel at the front without looking odd. And the new boxy look means the can't be raised at the back to increase internal volume.

Nor can the box be too high to increase volume or the panel will be too.

Yup. I am a genius

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Yup. I am a genius

Thought so.

However, what if they started out flush with the front and were angled out slightly to each side like a thin trapezoid?

They could angle out and then back in again. Frankly there are plenty options to create aesthetically pleasing internal volume space that didn't have the approximate dimensions of a brick.

Name:  brick1.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  13.6 KB
    Last edited by RCHeliGuy; 05-09-2016 at 01:47 PM.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

The folks at ML: "Dammit, RCHeliGuy just blew our next design concept".

I'd bow down to greater genius but I must admit I did think about what you said.

Equality of genius, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by RCHeliGuy View Post

Thought so.

However, what if they started out flush with the front and were angled out slightly to each side like a thin trapezoid?

They could angle out and then back in again. Frankly there are plenty options to create aesthetically pleasing internal volume space that didn't have the approximate dimensions of a brick.

Name:  brick1.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  13.6 KB
    There is nothing wrong with a brick. Many of them form the basis of a lot of the world's greatest architecture.
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

I believe the Renaissance (and presumably the Expression and Impression), have very slightly rounded cabinet tops. The overall rectangular design is probably easier (i.e. more inexpensive) to construct than something trapezoidal, and easier to fit with the bottom electronics tray. I agree the cabinets appear somewhat disproportional in pics, but I'll reserve judgement until I see them in person. WAF is definitely something I need to take into consideration.
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
    Click here to see my entire sytem. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

The depth of the box could be an issue for those that have limited space - which I think is many. If you look at many of the systems posted the majority are tighter to the front wall then recommended including my two sets - however with treatments some of this can be mitigated. The Renaissance depth is nearly 30" and then ML recommends another 24" added to that from the front wall. For those that have the room great but I bet many of us just do not. In the pictures for the Expression and Impression they look nearly identical in depth I'm thinking maybe 24" ish hopefully less. Because they now all have a rear firing cone getting tighter to the front wall is even more of an issue. I think most of us can live with 2' or 3' total from the wall but when you get to 4' and beyond you need a pretty special room to accommodate. A music room only possibly but a media room with a flat panel on the front wall not real practical at all. I'm not trying to be all negative here as I heard the Renaissance actually twice and it sounded fantastic and I assume the Expression and Impression will also I'm just trying to figure out placement.

On a slightly different subject I know someone looking for a 10k set and this depth thing is of concern. The current versions don't have the rear firing cones and placement although not ideal can be much closer to the front wall. I'm wondering for the older members how does ML handle old models going out pricewise do they discount or not? I'm thinking not but wanted to ask. As the current Montis maybe his better choice.
    Last edited by GW1800; 05-10-2016 at 07:29 AM.
    Music Rm #503: CLX Art DC / 2-212's / Bricasti M12/28's / Aurender N10 / Nordost: O2 Loom / V2 Pwr Spk & Subs, QX4, QV2, QK1, QB8, Sort Fut, Lift & TC Kones, QKore 6, Earth Grd, Acoustical Panels Media Rm #504: 13A's Balsalt Blk /Descent i's / Vanquish / Focus / Parasound 3-A23 & 31 / 65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60 / Nordost V2/T2/H2 Pwr & IC, H2 HDMI & Net, QK1, QV2, QB8 & QX2 / Entreq SM / SBooster / Sony 4K Blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by GW1800 View Post
    The depth of the box could be an issue for those that have limited space - which I think is many. If you look at many of the systems posted the majority are tighter to the front wall then recommended including my two sets - however with treatments some of this can be mitigated. The Renaissance depth is nearly 30" and then ML recommends another 24" added to that from the front wall. For those that have the room great but I bet many of us just do not. In the pictures for the Expression and Impression they look nearly identical in depth I'm thinking maybe 24" ish hopefully less. Because they now all have a rear firing cone getting tighter to the front wall is even more of an issue. I think most of us can live with 2' or 3' total from the wall but when you get to 4' and beyond you need a pretty special room to accommodate.
    That is very true.

I have my Ethos pulled out as far into the room as I can manage and the front panels are 32" from the front wall.

In hind sight I probably should have gotten something besides an electrostat for this room, but this is the room that I want to listen to music in. If I put the speakers on a different floor of the house my wife and I would likely not listen to them much.
    Last edited by RCHeliGuy; 05-10-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Quote Originally Posted by GW1800 View Post
    The depth of the box could be an issue for those that have limited space - which I think is many.
    True and thus one would be better of with something other than a stat / di-pole

If you look at many of the systems posted the majority are tighter to the front wall then recommended including my two sets - however with treatments some of this can be mitigated.
    again, true and with that being said no matter what 'treatments' one does you will never get an ideal soundstage (depth). When I had my Spire's the panels were 42" from the wall ........... still a compromise, another two feet would have been much better.
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

It's also possible that ML intentionally went with "deeper" cabinets to "encourage" owners to place the speaker farther from the wall, where they sound best.
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable.
    Click here to see my entire sytem. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.