Prince: Gone way too soon

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Like many of us, I am a fan of his music and was shocked to hear that he passed away yesterday. This morning there are reports that he had a drug-overdose a few days ago.... It's sad that people on his level of fame and notoriety turn to drugs.. maybe because they are so detached from the real world and bored with it all... Who knows. Director Kevin Smith talked about Prince and some work they did together, and it's clear that Prince was not normal and clearly detached from reality. See this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

Hopefully, the music that he has created and has never been released or heard by anyone - the stuff that's locked up in his vault - will be released to the public.

Anyway, 2016 has been horrible for musicians; David Bowie, Glenn Frey affecting me most and now Prince.

"Thinking about how we mourn artists we've never met. We don't cry because we knew them, we cry because they helped us know ourselves." kinda sums it up for me.

Here's a video of an all-star band playing "My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the Tribute to George Harrison in 2004. Prince absolutely KILLS it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

RIP Prince.

Well said, Tom. Those that burn the brightest often seem to burn out the quickest.

I didn't like him at all TBH. My wife loved him. Was playing some stuff of his last night for my wife's sake, but I wasn't enjoying it.

However, that Weeps video is worth a watch. Awesome guitar playing. I enjoyed that:) Sad to see anyone that talented go but hey - we all will sometime.

Last edited:
Only time will tell what really happened to Prince. I was not a fan of the majority of his music but he was loved my many.

I heard a report this morning that may or not turn out to be correct.

According to the report he had a serious addiction to Opiates. He had major issues with his hips and needed to have them both replaced. The problem with that was that his religious beliefs prevented him from having a blood transfusion so hip replacement was not an option. That meant pain management was his option.

Unfortunately it would seem the drugs for pain had so clouded his thought process that the addiction was acceptable but a transfusion was not.

At any rate, it a very sad thing to lose another person so young.

Yeah.. TMZ is reporting that the whole emergency landing last week was due to opiate overdose.. that makes more sense to me than "flu treatment". sad.

A evergreen song "When doves cry" by Prince. And great albums Purple Rain and Batman 1 soundtrack by Prince. To remember him by.

I enjoyed listening to the above music created by Prince.

Rest In Peace, Prince.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I actually met Prince at a bar in 1982. We were at this club and it was 'soul night'. :). So the 1999 tour was ramping up and he played the campus at Michigan state. Bar was huge with the lighted floor. Haha. So anyway he comes in with these two huge dudes and literally sits at the high top table next to us. My buddy and I looked crosseyed at each other and said 'uhhh is that....prince??'. so we told him we really liked his music - he thanked us - and we watched girls just keep asking him to dance. very low key. very shy. never assuming or 'look at me'. just a guy out having a good time and not trying to show star power etc. thinking back he was probably 23 at the time and i was barely legal. so whatever stories you hear now that he is gone - remember this one.

Latest posts

Back