Newbie - new ESL owner looking for advice on suitable integrated amp.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arferdaily

Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought (April 2016) a brand new pair of ML ESLs and I have the working with a 30 watt Denon amp that cost me £7 from a car boot sale !
They sound great but I suspect they deserve something better that a £7 amp !!!

I am looking for a "simple" good looking stereo integrated amp that I can match with a CD player (to keep "her indoors" happy).
Any ideas ?

Budget circa £1500 for both amp and CD player - I will no doubt upgrade again when my budget allows.

Any ideas ? Would the Naim 5si work - or is it too low power for the ESLs ?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hello and welcome to MLO forums Aferdaily! I'm not familiar with the Naim, excellent review here, http://www.topaudiogear.com/index.php/naim-nait-5si/ . As it said not much difference in power from 10wpc or your 30from the Denon to the 60wpc of the Naim. At those levels you are not playing very loud and the speakers are not close to hitting their maximum pleasure they are capable of.

It seems the Naim is quite the current producer and doesn't mind a difficult load the ML's present, might be a nice starting point if you don't play to loud. I would spend as much as possible on the amp, if you like loud, look for a 150wpc+ @4ohms like an Outlaw, Marantz, a inexpensive CD player will get you by for now, you want to 'drive the speakers properly', you can play with cables/DAC's and players later...have fun...that Naim looks nice, just a wee bit under powered...Just my opinion.

Consider buying used equipment. In general, audio hobbyists are quite honest, but before buying ask questions about age of the equipment, whether it has been repaired, and if it has a transferable warranty (if applicable), etc. Get a demo, if possible.

Back