What are your reference recordings?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If these are the tracks that you play to "test" a system to show it's weaknesses, how different are the tracks that you tend to play to show off your system when you have guests over?

Personally when I'm showing off my system I use some of the following:

Female vocalists
Patricia Barbar - Companion
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Melody Gardot - My One And Only Thrill
Summer Porter - Sunny ( Mapleshade )

Male Vocalist
C-Nuts - Blitzkrieg Bop And Other Jazz Mutations (Mapleshade )

Guitar
Eric Claption - Unplugged
Alice In Chains - MTV Unplugged
Pink Floyd - Wish You were Here

Dynamics
Erich Kunzel; Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra - Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture, Capriccio Italien, Cossack Dance ( Telarc )
Erich Kunzel; Ein Straussfest - Unter Donner und Blitz (Thunder and Lightning), polka schnell for orchestra, Op. 324 ( Telarc )

Bass Response
Jienat - Mira ( Radio Belgrano track 5 )
Micheal Murry - Bach In Los Angeles (Telarc) Toca and Fugue in D-Minor

Live Concert Experience
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense:Special New Edition [Live]
Patricia Barbar - Companion

FWIW I purchased a number of the CD's suggested earlier in this thread, and so far they all sound great!

Last edited:
Just picked up their last two CD's. Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden.

They are as good as Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel. Incredible music.

Hey there GG, glad you got those! I pulled this from wiki..."They were introduced to a much wider live audience in October 1982 when they supported Genesis at their reunion concert with original lead singer Peter Gabriel at Milton Keynes Bowl, England." Interesting to note. I hope many more listen to their wonderful recordings and I wish they were still at it!
-------

I too have bought several recordings based on this thread, and not a bad one in the bunch...Huge shout out to Adam for "Tigerlilly" ~ Natalie Merchant!! Just insanely beautiful music, her tribute to River Phoenix is just haunting, aching, and hits you in the heart...I can't stop playing this CD!! Thanks bro!

My personal interest lies only in digital, but this thread is for everyone. So feel free to post whatever you like.

Oh my, spent some major time listening to k. d. lang and 'Shadowland' deserves a mention, we all know she can sing like an angel but, hearing her through the master producer of her idol Patsy Cline, Owen Bradley takes it to a higher level!

I've never been much of a country music fan, this recording is flat out fantastic! And throw in the Jordanaire's, Loretta Lynne, Brenda Lee, Kitty Wells and the best back up musicians Nashville ever had....Winner!

Jamey Johnson's "That Lonesome Sound" (album)
Mayer Hawthorne "Man about Town " (Album)
Gregory Porter Holding on (song )
Punch Brothers "the Blind Leaving the Blind Mvt1" song
Sarah McLachlan ""Do what you have to Do " ( song )

Last edited:
I wanted to start this thread to get everyone's input on what are your favorite "reference" recordings, meaning which releases do you regularly use as a reference to determine the sound quality performance of a music system. Ideally, these would be recordings of enjoyable and interesting music that have been recorded, mixed, and mastered to the highest standards. You know, those recordings where the music is not just enjoyable, but the recording quality gives you that jaw-dropping "ohmygod this artist is performing in my living room" type of feel.

I'll start with a few of my favorites that I come back to time and again.

1. The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings (Chesky) SACD

This disk is excellent, but in particular I love the first two tracks. Rebecca Pidgeon's version of "The Rose in Spanish Harlem" is great, especially the nuance and power of the plucked bass. It can really give you some insight into how well your system (and room) handles bass response. And Livingston Taylor's version of "Isn't She Lovely?" is a nice blend of acoustic guitar and raw male vocals that can tell you a lot about your system's abilities. Particularly the whistling at the beginning, which will be almost painful at higher volume levels if there is any grain/sibilance in your system.

2. Herbie Hancock - Possibilities CD

Another disc full of great music, featuring a plethora of talented musicians and some incredible keyboard playing. But the track I keep coming back to is "When Love Comes To Town" featuring Johnny Lang and Joss Stone. Oh my god, this track has everything, from Lang's gravelly voice and gritty guitar, to Stone's unique vocal prowess and ability to belt out the blues like no one else, to Hancock's amazing and intense keyboard work. Highly recommended.

3. Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room SACD

Ok, I know this one is a bit overdone in the audiophile world, but it's still a great disc. Luscious female vocals, powerful piano playing, and it is very well recorded. Tracks 1,2,6&9 are my go-to tracks for evaluating system performance.

So what are your favorite reference recordings for evaluating a system?

I really appreciate you starting this thread.

I got all 3 of your recommendations which are fun to listen to and sound amazing!

I've gotten a number of audiophile recommendations over the last year and many of them sound great, but aren't something I would want to listen to often.

I also got "The Very Best of" for Diana Krall, but she is very prolific, and I liked "The Girl in the Other Room" better.

I like her singing, but she has so many albums( 53 according to Amazon ). Do you have any other Diana Krall albums that are a similar caliber?

I also got "The Very Best of" for Diana Krall, but she is very prolific, and I liked "The Girl in the Other Room" better.

I like her singing, but she has so many albums( 53 according to Amazon ). Do you have any other Diana Krall albums that are a similar caliber?

I really haven't explored much of her catalog, but I did just get another CD of hers so I'll let you know what I think of it once I have had a chance to listen to it. I agree that "Girl in the other room" is excellent.

I really haven't explored much of her catalog, but I did just get another CD of hers so I'll let you know what I think of it once I have had a chance to listen to it. I agree that "Girl in the other room" is excellent.

I'm able to stream from Amazon Prime to listen to some of them in their entirety.

"Live in Paris", 2001 sounded good. I'm considering getting that one.

What's sad is that Girl in the other room is not rated very well on Amazon and The Very Best of was rated the top, so it's obvious that the masses opinions are not that great :(

Last edited:
I'm able to stream from Amazon Prime to listen to some of them in their entirety.

"Live in Paris", 2001 sounded good. I'm considering getting that one.

What's sad is that Girl in the other room is not rated very well on Amazon and The Very Best of was rated the top, so it's obvious that the masses opinions are not that great :(

Get both of them, you will love them! And Speaking of 'Live in Paris', please search Supertramp's '79 concert CD/DVD, or better....LP!!

Since I have 20,000+ recordings, I'll throw this gem...Rare! Rare, Rare! I just bought a back up copy, there are 2 more on ebay...'Map of the World' ~ "An Inch Equals a Thousand miles"

Sofia Kahlid and her brother offer up some mighty fine stuff. No over dubs, just straight up hard rock! amazing recording on any rig....better with Logan's!!! Buy what's left fellers, very rare! No video's that I can find to listen to, just this link http://wilfullyobscure.blogspot.com/2008/10/map-of-world-inch-equals-thousand-miles.html

If you buy and are not amazed, I'll buy it from you, seriously!!!!

Mark, "Live in Paris" is very well recorded, you won't be disappointed. That and "Girl In The Other Room" are my favorite.

I've already got the "Girl In The Other Room" CD. It got here Sunday. "Live in Paris" will be here Wednesday.

I went ahead and Ebay'd "Map of the World - An Inch Equals a Thousand Miles - New 1989 Atlantic CD-EP!" based on that high recommendation. It should be here Saturday.

As a result of this thread I also got a copy of the remastered Tears for Fears Ultimate Collection and it sounds really nice too. The horns seem to really stand out nicely.

The Linda Ronstat 'Round Midnight mastered levels seem a bit lowish but once you turn up the volume a bit it comes alive. This is one that I wouldn't mind seeing remastered as a 24bit recording with higher levels off the original tapes.

I'm considering the Supertramp Live in 1979. I recently got a Deep Purple Live album(like it) and a 2 Doors Down live album( don't like it as much) It sounds clear when you hear the audience and then for the rest of the song they mute the audience and dull the whole performance down. Surprisingly poor mastering unless the recording was messed up in which case they should have recorded more until they got it right.

Last edited:
Mark, I'm so glad you got Map of the World! I know you'll love it, please post a review bud! It's just a great recording, raw, yet beautiful...

Supertramp was well known for spending at least 2 days of sound checks before a concert, they were obsessed with how the sound would be, Live in Paris '79 is their only live recording that I know of, I bought the LP new and it's a treasure, never heard the CD version.

Enjoy the Krall CD's I have both and love them, mostly late at night when I get off work on my AKG K-601 cans!

Well ..., you got me curious here so I went ahead and bought myseld a copy of Map Of The world too. Should get it by the weekend.
My choices so far would be
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Ry Cooder - Chicken Skin Music
Tracy Chapman - first

Dirk

Mark, I'm so glad you got Map of the World! I know you'll love it, please post a review bud! It's just a great recording, raw, yet beautiful...

Supertramp was well known for spending at least 2 days of sound checks before a concert, they were obsessed with how the sound would be, Live in Paris '79 is their only live recording that I know of, I bought the LP new and it's a treasure, never heard the CD version.

Enjoy the Krall CD's I have both and love them, mostly late at night when I get off work on my AKG K-601 cans!

I didn't get the immediate Wow I got with the Krall on first listening to Map of the World. Map of the World sounded good, and had some good female vocals but I suspect it has to grow on you a bit. I'm digesting a lot of music right now which is fun, but I haven't given Map of the World a second listen yet.

It will grow on you, just a few listens more, the recording is so pure...back when Atlantic granted some leway to artists and their whims.

As a man of my word, if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you!

Enjoy your other new choices!

Btw, I just got the Lp version for the princely sum of $2.98 + basically free ship with 4 other Lps! Damn, if it doesn't sound better, those triangle tings, so clear and bell like...

Last edited:
It will grow on you, just a few listens more, the recording is so pure...back when Atlantic granted some leway to artists and their whims.

As a man of my word, if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you!

Enjoy your other new choices!

Btw, I just got the Lp version for the princely sum of $2.98 + basically free ship with 4 other Lps! Damn, if it doesn't sound better, those triangle tings, so clear and bell like...

I have no intention of taking you up on that offer. I love recommendations from people who love music and wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from recommending something that is very good and not well known.

The following are all CD not SACD. However all have great sonics or recording.

Depeche Mode, The Singles 81> 85.
Blancmange, The Platinum Collection.
Jean Michel Jarre, The Essential.
Fleetwood Mac, Tango In The Night.
Bryan Ferry, Mamouna.
Andrea Bocelli, Amore.
Seal, Seal ( 1991 ).
Cher, It's a Man's World.

The following album has a reference recording for a CD. However music value is average.
The Cure, Greatest Hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shpongle ~ 'Museum of Consciousness' , These fools are sick, sick, sick!! 'The God Particle' and anything else they recorded are must haves!

the walls in your room will dissolve away, front to back, you are three rows back from the 'stage'!! Try them out buddies! Craig

Latest posts

Back