What are your reference recordings?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread to get everyone's input on what are your favorite "reference" recordings, meaning which releases do you regularly use as a reference to determine the sound quality performance of a music system. Ideally, these would be recordings of enjoyable and interesting music that have been recorded, mixed, and mastered to the highest standards. You know, those recordings where the music is not just enjoyable, but the recording quality gives you that jaw-dropping "ohmygod this artist is performing in my living room" type of feel.

I'll start with a few of my favorites that I come back to time and again.

1. The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings (Chesky) SACD

This disk is excellent, but in particular I love the first two tracks. Rebecca Pidgeon's version of "The Rose in Spanish Harlem" is great, especially the nuance and power of the plucked bass. It can really give you some insight into how well your system (and room) handles bass response. And Livingston Taylor's version of "Isn't She Lovely?" is a nice blend of acoustic guitar and raw male vocals that can tell you a lot about your system's abilities. Particularly the whistling at the beginning, which will be almost painful at higher volume levels if there is any grain/sibilance in your system.

2. Herbie Hancock - Possibilities CD

Another disc full of great music, featuring a plethora of talented musicians and some incredible keyboard playing. But the track I keep coming back to is "When Love Comes To Town" featuring Johnny Lang and Joss Stone. Oh my god, this track has everything, from Lang's gravelly voice and gritty guitar, to Stone's unique vocal prowess and ability to belt out the blues like no one else, to Hancock's amazing and intense keyboard work. Highly recommended.

3. Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room SACD

Ok, I know this one is a bit overdone in the audiophile world, but it's still a great disc. Luscious female vocals, powerful piano playing, and it is very well recorded. Tracks 1,2,6&9 are my go-to tracks for evaluating system performance.

So what are your favorite reference recordings for evaluating a system?

Good to have you re-engaged my friend.

I'll offer up a few a bit later.

Gordon

I'll a couple favs, then more later...

Patricia Barber ~ 'Companion', Hell, anything she's done but, this live set has magic, the last track "Black Magic Woman" has percussion to die for.
Alan Parsons ~ 'A Valid Path', the master of production at his finest.
Teena Marie ~ 'Emerald City', Written, arranged, produced and performed by Teena Marie, God, this woman was one of the best out there, subtle transitions in arrangements, horns, strings, steel drums, vocals, wrap you in her lovin' arms!! Stevie Ray Vaughn...

Welcome back Rich, thanks for the heads up on your #2, huge Hancock fan here, I'll add "Rocket" as a must play on Vinyl Only!

Great responses, guys! Giving me some good ideas for new music purchases. Keep them coming.

Edit: I just want to add this link for those who may be interested. Paul McGowan, of PS Audio, has been involved in a project to produce some reference recordings and they just released their first one, available in SACD and hi-rez download. I haven't purchased it yet, but when I do I'll post a few comments in this thread. I love the ideas behind this project, and I hope they are successful and give us another avenue for great, high quality music. Here is the link: Project One

Last edited:
I have many, but the song "Straighten Up and Fly Right" by Linda Ronstadt from her album "Round Midnight" with Nelson Riddle and his orchestra is THE reference song I have used for years.

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 11.27.04 AM.jpg

ooh, this is a fun thread.

I've been going with Boz Scaggs' Dig album. Most specifically "Miss Riddle" and "Thanks To You". Also Tears for Fears "Badman's Song" is a great one, as is Ryan Adam's "La Cienega Just Smiled" off his Gold album.

Sting's "The Soul Cages" is a good one as well.

Last edited:
Hey Tom, "Straighten Up and Fly Right" by Linda Ronstadt from her album "Round Midnight" with Nelson Riddle and his orchestra is THE reference song I have used for years.

I forgot about that one, I have the Lp and it is hands down for the count one of Linda's (who is also from Tucson btw) finest!!

Tears for Fears ~ 'Sowing the Seeds of Love'....Must, Must, Must have to show what ya got, Oleta Adams is one of the finest vocalist God has ever blessed us with! Just about every song shows the love of incrediable sound!

This one deserves it's own post....Talk Talk ~ 'The Colour of Spring'

If ya ain't blown away by what these lads put together, check your pulse! I also will say that the 45rpm Parlaphone's remixes from Germany I have equal in an interesting way as well, good luck finding them now though...

This is the latest list of current reference recordings I use with the reasons for each. All analog, all vinyl, all the time!

Classical—
Holst: The Planets Mehta LAPO Decca SXL6529 (Massed orchestral sound, tonal balance, string tone) Re
Schubert: Symphony # 5 Sound 80 DD (String tone) OP
Copland: Appalachian Spring Reference RR-22 (Imaging and string tone) OP
Cantate Domino Proprius 7762 White Jacket (Massed choir, ambience) OP not half-speed mastered
Ravel: Alborado Del Gracioso; Classic Records test pressing 45rpm LSC-2222 45 (Absolutely stunning dynamics) Re
Jazz—
Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto: Getz/Gilberto Verve 810 048-1 (Natural timbre and imaging) OP
Vince Guaraldi: Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus Fantasy 3337 (Musical integrity)
Harry James: The King James Version Sheffield Lab-3 (Image size, specifically drum kit size, proper brass bite and power)
Rock/Popular—
Rickie Lee Jones: Rickie Lee Jones MFSL 2-45010 45 rpm reissue (musical integrity, emotion, resolving power, soundstage width) Last Chance Texaco is the reference track.
Bob Marley and the Wailers: Survival Island LPS 9542 (Musical power and emotion)
David Bowie: Changes Bowie Ryko Analogue RALP-0171-2 (I just like it)
Suzanne Vega: Suzanne Vega A&M SP6-5072 (female vocal)
Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms Warner 49377-1 4 side reissue (Continuousness) Brother in Arms is the reference track.
Jennifer Warnes: Famous Blue Raincoat Cypress 661 111-1 (Vocal tone, soundstage) Bird on a Wire is the reference track.
Vanessa Fernandez: Use Me Groove Note GRV 150-1 (Vocal, imaging, emotional connection, soundstage depth and integration) Here But I’m Gone is the reference track.
Van Morrison: Moondance Warner Bros. R1 1835 (Imaging, emotional power, musical integrity) Into the Mystic is the reference track.

Hey Tom, "Straighten Up and Fly Right" by Linda Ronstadt from her album "Round Midnight" with Nelson Riddle and his orchestra is THE reference song I have used for years.

I forgot about that one, I have the Lp and it is hands down for the count one of Linda's (who is also from Tucson btw) finest!!

Tears for Fears ~ 'Sowing the Seeds of Love'....Must, Must, Must have to show what ya got, Oleta Adams is one of the finest vocalist God has ever blessed us with! Just about every song shows the love of incrediable sound!

Yeah.. Turn the volume up on "Straighten Up and Fly Right" and you should get goosebumps... Amazing. And yeah, TFT Seed of Love CD is phenomenal... also one of my reference recordings...

If ya ain't blown away by what these lads put together, check your pulse! I also will say that the 45rpm Parlaphone's remixes from Germany I have equal in an interesting way as well, good luck finding them now though...

OK... A buddy of mine gave me some of his music on a hard drive, and the entire Talk Talk discography was on it. I have the "It's My Life" CD and have listened to it many times... Anyway, based on this comment, I queued up "The Colour of Spring" this morning while I'm working... HOLY COW!! WOW WOW WOW. How these guys were not massive here in the USA is beyond me. LOVE IT! Thanks stuwee!! Talk Talk for the rest of the day!! The entire discography is now queued up!!

Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 9.21.26 AM.jpg

I first gauge vocal performance using Bach cantata - chorals, solo baritone, soprano, and duet.

The Cecilia Bartoli vocals from her Vivaldi album.

Then, I add second movement of Scheherazade from reference recordings (the Living Stereo reiner is also fine and better musically - I use this LP while auditioning TTs). The second movement starts with solo instruments and shows you tones of violins and woodwinds, before escalating into loud brass dynamics. If you have more audition time, do the last movement for more dynamics or the first movement for more tone.

By now, I have usually made up my mind if the system/component is rejectable. However, if it sounds good, or if I am checking for speed and impact, I play Mussorgsky's Gnomus from Pictures at an exhibition (Living Stereo reiner). Old Castle from the same CD is great for tine and musicality.

Then, my favorite CD is Mahler 2 from Channel Classics. Superb music and recording. That is the last CD I play.

Holst Planets mentioned by Risabet is also great for dynamics (Mars)

I don't have a TT set up, but I audition decks, so I use the Scheherazade LP, Bruch Scottish Fantasia (decca), Argenta Espana for dynamics, Rubinstein Boston Symphony Orchestra Beethoven's Emperor for Piano (RCA). I also have a great Winterreise for some vocals.

More time permitting, I have a Jazz CD and if i really like the system play Led Zep How the West Was Won to confirm if I can listen to everything on the system.

i use the film score to interstellar and also remastered genesis recordings
the former has the organ from the temple church in london and really shows the sense of presence and depth of that organ
the latter can be slightly bright in some systems so if it can deal with that recording then thats fine for me

Easily one of the best sounding discs is an opus3 download at 2xdsd called Analogue Bibb. Incredible recording and great music. Eric Bibb.

Here are mine.

For a start, I don't evaluate like Kedar. I don't make my decision early, I listen to all (or most) of these and make my decision at the end. Most (all?) of the time, whatever equipment to which I am listening will fail at least some of my tests, but that's okay. I've been yet to find a system that performs flawlessly on all my tests - even when I've been listening to top-of-the-top end esoterica - all equipment has its advantages and disadvantages.

Not all of these are great recordings, but I've listed my reasons.

So here is my list:

** Artist - Album - Track (reason)

** Ray Brown - Super Bass - Brown Funk (Bass definition and transient response)
** The Idea of North - Here and Now - Sweet Sweet Spirit and Neat Surprise (If you haven't heard of Idea of North, they are a great jazz / a cappella quartet. These tracks test purity of the system and vocal performance; as well as distortion [if there is any hint of distortion through the system, you'll instantly hear it])
** Cornelius - Sensuous - Fit Song (Overall system power. And timing. Ability to go loud. - it's a cracker of a track and also tests the system's ability to just fcuking rock out! :) )
** The Catholics - Simple - Home (Sound stage and detail)
** Holly Cole - Girl Talk - Crusin' (Sound stage and imaging. Transient response.)
** Paul Simon - Graceland - Diamonds on the Soles of her shoes (Macro dynamics, transient response)
** Cincinnati Pops - 1812 & other works (Telarc) - Overture 1812 (How the system deals with a big and complex recording; and its ability to separate multi-layered textures)
** Rebecca Pidgeon New York Girls Club - Auld Lang Syne / Bring it on home to me (timing)
** Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley - Bridge over Troubled Water (musicality)
** Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven - Grandmother (Microdynamics and background noise)
** Gary Karr - Songs of Prayer - O Holy Night (perspective and the system's ability to bring the venue into the room. With the pipe organ, it also happens to be pretty damn good for bass detail and texture)
** Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live - Keith Don't go (tonal purity)
** Chris Whitely - Dirt Floor (24/96) - Scrapyard Lullaby (perspective)
** Jessica Williams - All Alone - The Quilt (Piano - I find that if a system performs well with solo piano, it is a pretty good indication of its overall performance)
** Margie Gibson - Town Hall - Puttin' on the Ritz (siblance; or absence thereof)
** Bluezeum - Portrait of a Groove - Can I get that Funk? (top end treble - this track can be a little harsh if there is anything wrong with the top end, but absolutely rocks out and you aren't aware of anything wrong if the system performs well)
** Natalie Merchant - Tigerlilly (24/96) - Beloved Wife (this track tests the system's ability to give insight and detail into a rather dark recording - the old cliche, but I regularly hear things I have never heard before when I listen to this track on different equipment)

-------

I also second some of the prior comments regarding Herbie Hancock - Possibilities as well as The Imagine Project; Eric Bibb; and Sara K. - an awesome audiophile artist - especially in high-res 24/96.

Last edited:
I have lots...a few from female vocalists are:
Patty Griffin - Heavenly Day from Children Running Through
Cowboy Junkies - Cold Tea Blues from Pale Sun Crescent Moon
Holly Cole - One Trick Pony from Romantically Helpless
Karla Bonoff - The Water Is Wide from Restless Nights
Suzanne Vega - Caramel from the DVD, Sessions at West 54th

Just picked up their last two CD's. Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden.

They are as good as Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel. Incredible music.

Last edited:
Back