MacBook Pro's and Large Music Collections

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I am just now starting the process of setting all that up. I haven't seriously fiddled with music streaming until now, other than a little dabbling with an old Lansonic music server (loaded up with MP3 files), iTunes, and recently the Sonos, which is connected to my whole-house audio system. For my main system, though, I have relied on spinning CD's and SACD's. But that is about to change, and here is my plan.

I ordered a Synology NAS, to which I will rip all my CD's in FLAC format. I will purchase a PS Audio Bridge II to go inside my DirectStream DAC, which will allow me to stream the FLAC files to the DAC over Ethernet. I will then get a subscription to Roon to control it all, and I will run Roon from a SonicTransporter (Link). The beauty of this device is that it runs not only Roon, but several other streaming network protocols, so it is compatible with DLNA, Sonos, etc. The upcoming update to the DirectStream firmware from PSAudio is expected to include native Roon support for the Bridge II, so it should all work together seamlessly. Once I have it all set up, I should be able to browse my entire music library on my iPad using the Roon iPad app and stream the music to my DSD DAC, my Sonos, my Apple TV, etc. Seems like a perfect solution to me.

Edit: I forgot to respond to your comment on the Sonos sound quality using an outboard DAC. Ultimately, you are correct. Sending a bitperfect stream from the Sonos to the DAC should result in perfectly fine sound quality. I shouldn't have dissed it so quickly as I haven't experimented with this setup.

The truth is I never really considered it as an option for my main system for several other reasons. I don't have my CD's ripped yet, so I don't have a library of digital files. Therefore, I currently use the Sonos to mostly stream low-res radio streams. Until recently I didn't even own an outboard DAC. And I still need to buy a network card for it so I can stream over Ethernet. So I wasn't really set up for it. Also, Sonos' lack of ability to stream hi-res files made it a non-starter for my main system. I plan on getting my feet wet in the arena of hi-res audio downloads, and want this capability in my streamer. But probably the biggest limitation of Sonos, for me, is the user interface. It is adequate, but nothing special. That's one of the main reasons I'm going with Roon. The interface is excellent. It's designed by the same team that designed the Sooloos music server.

Having the ability to browse my entire music library on my iPad, using the Roon interface, and stream CD quality (or better) music to my main system, my Apple TV, and my Sonos / whole house system is exactly the type of setup I have been waiting for. That's why I am finally taking the plunge into digital streaming and ripping my 2000 or so CD's to FLAC. I only want to deal with all of this once and then I just want it to work to my satisfaction. I think I've got a pretty good plan in place to make that happen.

That's a pretty impressive setup, definitely a step or two above me. That PS Audio equipment is supposed to be as good as it get in terms of digital music playback.

It is funny that you found the Sonos UI the biggest limitation for you. The UI is probably the biggest reason why its #1 product of its class.

Back