System #510 (Montis)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerneil

Reaction score
Member Name & Location = Neil, Carlsbad California, USA

Music System: (Updated Feb 2020)
- McIntosh C2600 Preamp - Tubes - Feb 2020
- McIntosh MC452 Amp (SS) - Feb 2020
- Speakers = Martin Logan Montis (Sept 2016)
- Sony Z1ES Music Server (Dec 2016)
- Speaker Cables - Analysis Plus, Oval 9

Mods & Changes = Replaced my original integrated amp with separate preamp and amp by McIntosh in Feb 2020.

Comments & My Experience:

I have had my system since late 2015 and my journey has now included several upgrades. Over the years I have replaced and upgraded to new speakers, preamp, amp, and lots of room treatment work. My most recent upgrades included a move from integrated amp to separate preamp and amp by McIntosh. I LOVE my new sound. The warmth of the tubes in my C2600 has made a dramatic change in my system. I liked my system lots before, and I love it now.

I have listened to lots of systems at many high-end audio stores and I have yet to hear one with better imaging / sound stage than mine. The time that I have spent playing with the home made room treatments has really paid off. There's nothing more relaxing than sitting in my room listening to 2 channel music. I love it. Thank you to everyone on the forum for lots of help over the years. I have learned lots about this hobby and passion.

Thanks from a happy Martin Logan fan.

20200223_054705.jpg

Attachments

• 20170116_190932.jpg
    20170116_190932.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 752
  • 20200223_054843.jpg
    20200223_054843.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Don't the components in that rack get extremely hot? I see no breathing room above them.

The sides and the rear of my Salamander stand are entirely open (I did not use the side pieces from the stand). The rear of the stand is immediately adjacent to my open fireplace, and this fireplace draws air thru the rack and up the fireplace. There is a little over 1" clearance above the Sony server and the McIntosh amp. I don't care about the cable box or the small CD player on the bottom of the rack, as they rarely ever get used.

I have checked for warm / heat, but it has not been an issue.

I have now added home-made sound absorption panels behind my Montis's and bass traps to the front corners of the room.

I read up on building the bass traps and the panels, then I got to work in the garage and built them using 2" Owens Corning 705. I covered with some material that I purchased from a local fabric store. The panels are 2" thick, and the bass traps are 6" thick. I am very happy with the difference the treatment has made in the room. I now get more bass, and the clarity of my music is much better - especially in some of my challenging musical pieces that I have listened to 100X.

20170228_162404.jpg

20170228_162427.jpg

20200223_054705.jpg

20200223_054833.jpg

I spent lots of time researching my change to the McIntosh C2600 and MC452. I have been a huge McIntosh fan since my college days. There are many amps and preamps to consider, but I am super happy I stayed with McIntosh. The tubed preamp pairs nicely with the solid state amp and I have plenty of power for my Montis in my room. The warmth of the new tubed amp is a noticeable improvement. I feel like I have an entirely new set of music to listen to now.

At this point, I'm not sure what my next upgrade would be. It's time to sit back and enjoy my music collection now.

I would think sitting so far of center, back to far for your speaker separation and all the shelves on the left and right would be an issue but apparently not??

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but my main chair is centered exactly between the two speakers (exactly).

Over the years my interest in the hobby has grown, my investment in equipment costs has increased, and the purpose of the room has evolved. I think I am now at the point where my next change or investment will be removing some of the built-in furniture in the room. If I had some way to know that this would positively improve my sound quality or the sound stage imaging I would probably do it today. For now I'm really enjoying my new preamp and amp, it's like I have a whole new collection of music to listen to. It's actually kind of exciting for me to think about changing the room to be only a 2 channel music room.

If I did proceed with this change to the room I would:
1. Remove the built-in work bench on the left had side of the room. This would be an easy change, with minimal impact to how I use the room.
2. Remove the desk and computer station from the right side of the room. This would be a much bigger change, as this I use this computer work station multiple times every day. I do have a den nearby that I could relocate the computer to, but it would be a really big change.

If I made these changes, it would basically leave me with two listening chairs in a 15' x 13' room. It's not a perfect listening room by any means, as there are windows on one wall (the windows are covered by wooden plantation shutters) - but I assume it would be much better than it is today. I need to do some more research on this possibility. Thank you for noting what I had been considering and pondering in my mind.

My bad. I assumed the two inside car arms was the center of the room. So the one chair is a whole chair width off center if I got it right now and the other centered.

As far as removing built-in’s that is a tough one as once done there it will not be easy to reverse. I guess a lot will depends how long you plan on being in this house. You will gain in sound but may decrease the value of your house at the same time. If you have long term plans then probably no issue but if 5 years or less probably leave as is.

As Mike said there is no way to know for sure. That said, were it my room, and there is no major objection from anyone else in the household---- I would remove them.
Getting your speakers a bit farther apart and first reflection absorption/diffusion would be an improvement to the quality sound you are currently enjoying.

I always appreciate input from knowledgeable members on this forum. I have taken great strides forward with help and ideas from others on this forum.

I am giving serious consideration to taking the first baby step in the process, by moving my computer in to my den. I can try living with my computer in that room for a week and see how I like that change. If I like working in there, I would then consider removing both my desk and the workbench from the room.

I am retired and have NO plans to move from this house in the next 20 years, so I can do anything I like with the room. The one thing I do know is - the main use of this room is listening to music. I take great pride in my system and the whole experience of listening to great music. I also enjoy the PROCESS of improving the quality of the experience as well. It has become one of my favorite hobbies (and I am lucky that my wife allows me to do anything I want with the room or the equipment I own).

If others have input on what you might expect to hear if I removed desk and workbench I would love to hear opinions.

Some pictures are shown below. They show the workbench on the left side of the room, and desk on the right side of the room.

system.jpg

desk.jpg

workbench.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? Would removing these pieces have a significant improvement on listening in the room?

Thanks.

Back