System #03 (CLX 25th Anniversary)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice system I really like the mass of the prodigy.I have a feeling the new Martin Logan to come out in next year will be reminiscent of the beloved prodigy's if they are smart. anyway nice speakers and very cool gear.

To Answer Doug yes they do make a difference why I cannot answer but there is a quieter background with more detail. I am completely sold on the Synergistic research cables As far as the prodigys go Without a doubt the finest speakers ever to reside in my house. I listened to the summits and just could not talk myself into them. I like the idea of choosing the amp I am sure that the bass amp in the summit is up to the task but it is a personal thing.

As CAP noted there are a few new changes I recently upgraded to a Wadia 581 also with the Great Northern statement mod. A nice step upward more of all the strengths with no noticible downside. except for not being able to play my Talking Heads dual discs, I will get over it.

Also picked up a Ipod dock the Wadia 170 and I am quite amazed at just how good it is even at the lowest recording setting.

I also got to spend a little time at Wadia they are working on some truly amazing stuff at both ends of the spectrum like a pair if mono D to A converters in the 5 figures and a D>A converter for the Idock in the 8"X8" chassis. The owner John and Martin in Sales gave me the grand tour and we spent a lot of time in their listening room enjoying well over $100,000 worth of equipment. I just kept thinking that My prodigys would hold their own in that room.

So what do you think of the CLX's now that you have had them for a few months ? Have you had to change any room treatment?

These speakers are truly amazing, set up was pretty much a snap and the panels are in just about the same place as the prodigys. I did try moving the tube traps in and out as well as rotating them and they are also in the same location. They are about 6' apart inside to inside and about 5' off the wall with an inch of toe in the rake is also minimal about 1 1/2" back.

the bass has bloomed during the break in and may still be improving. the intrigation between the panels is absolutely seamless It wasnt an issue with the prodigys but it is so much better with the CLX while not as deep it is more than adequate with most music. The synthesizers on funeral for a friend is clean and low. CAP may want to verify this.

Image is rock solid deep and wide a real improvement over the great prodigys. I have been thinking about writing a full review, and will get started soon. Kruppy and CAP are coming over tomorrow and I am sure that Kruppy will chime in. CAP has heard them a few times. The "sweet spot" is still in the middle but is again much wider than the prodigys.

I have no regrets better in every way and still has the ML magic just more of it.

A shameless plug for Synergistic Research My speaker cables were bi-wire so i called SR to find out the possibility of making them single end and was told it would be $100.00 the next day Elliott from SR called me to ask what speakers i had upgraded to. His advice was just to put shrink tubing over the additional ends as they would just be removing them he also noted that they would most likely be easier to sell when the time comes. Good people there.

If you have not heard them you really need to.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 875
Last edited:
I really like the simplicity look of your system. I bet it really gets the job done! Do you plan on adding sub/subs to you 2CH system to accommodate the very low octaves?

I also enjoy the simplicity as far as the subwoofer no I am completely satisfied with the quantity as well as the quality of the bass response.

The F110's and the Descent i's are also fast enough to keep up with the CLX, but the Descent's just require a bit more space and careful placement.

Ken,

How does the Krell 400 do with your CLX's? I have been considering that model or the 600 to mate with my Monolith III's.

Really nice setup BTW!

-Ken Bell

Again sorry for the late reply, as far as the Krell powering the ML's if I had to replace the Krell tomorrow other than possibly a Pass lab it would definately be another Krell most likely a 402 or a pair of 400 mono's I firmly believe that the speakers need current and the Krell delivers while being true to the source.

my system:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169

What is the exact dimensions of your listening room?

Room size

My listening room is also my living room measures 19 X 27 with a vaulted ceiling going to 12'

It is strictly 2 CH. the TV is just for football.

I just receiced a second Synergistic Research Hologram for the second Krell and It sounds great,

My listening room is also my living room measures 19 X 27 with a vaulted ceiling going to 12'

It is strictly 2 CH. the TV is just for football.

I just receiced a second Synergistic Research Hologram for the second Krell and It sounds great,

Damn!!, your listening room has the same floor dimension as my entire apartment! NICE!

Hi Ken,

Really great setup you have there! I am in absolute love the the CLX to the point where I've ordered a pair myself. I really enjoyed reading through the comments here for your system. You mentioned at one point the possibility of writing up a bit more of an in depth review... any further thoughts on that?

I started a thread in this forum: "CLX odyssey begins now" to chronicle my CLX devirginization. So I'll be posting pics and comments there once the speakers arrive (hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks). BTW, my room dimensions are similar to yours - so glad to hear you find the CLX really sing well in that space.

I appreciated too your comments regarding bass adequacy... I too plan to run sans SW for a while. Subwoofers, even the vaunted JLs, are not always easy-as-pie to integrate with main speakers (much less e-stats). But, in the long run, I may well break-down and break-in a SW if I feel the last octave needs some assistance.

Anyway, again, beautiful system and I'm sure you enjoy it frequently... can't wait to compare notes with you once I am able to do so.

Cheers,

-Todd

Todd, congrats on your purchase, without a doubt you will love them I went from Prodigies to the CLX I listened to the summits at a dealer before the CLX and just couldnt get my arms around them.

you might want to check out my origional thread about the clx journey:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9145

I am betting the CLX's will end up about an inch from where your summits are.

Todd, congrats on your purchase, without a doubt you will love them I went from Prodigies to the CLX I listened to the summits at a dealer before the CLX and just couldnt get my arms around them.

you might want to check out my origional thread about the clx journey:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9145

I am betting the CLX's will end up about an inch from where your summits are.

Great thread... I feel like congratulating you all over again. One HELL of a price for those CLXs too! I bought mine from Albert as well (I also bought my Summit X from him last year)... best pricing in the world.

Cheers

Hi Ken,

You have a great system there. I just wanted to pass along a suggestion Bernard gave me that worked wonderfully which you could apply to your system.

I have ASC tube traps also and Bernard suggested to put them directly behind each speaker with the absorbtive side facing the speaker to absorb some of the rear wave. This made a great improvement. I need to take new pictures to reflect the change.

Put on a revealing peice of music you are familiar with and move the traps from the coners to behind the speakers.John Fo and others said to absorb some of the rear wave, they are totally correct and this won't cost you any money. Hopefully the traps in your picture are 16" or more.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Back