Any experience with qol and ML speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Color me skeptical about claims that a product uncovers "hidden" phase information, heretofore lurking but unreproduced without their mysterious technology.

"For complicated reasons, phase information, however, has not been captured, transmitted or reproduced at all (or in some instances, only very partially and with little fidelity). For that reason, to date, the AUDIO SIGNALS that have been used for consumer entertainment electronics, studio and live performance applications, telecommunications, science, education, and medicine have been INCOMPLETE AND LACKING IN NATURALISM, REALISM, INTELLIGIBILITY, CLARITY, etc. when compared to the experience of a live sound event."
http://www.bsgt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/a_brief_description1.pdf

Pehaps if they'd describe those "complicated reasons".....

Meanwhile, here's one man's report:

"I had an opportunity to bring home a unit for an audition in my system some time back. For me, to my ears, the cons add up to more than the pros. So, I returned the loan unit to the dealer.
The one most important aspect of the sound that deterred me from an outright purchase was the unrealistic expansion of image size of every instrument. Although the soundstage has expanded, so too have the piano, guitar, saxophone, violins and whatever else that is playing together in a band or orchestra to the point that each of them seems to extend from the far side of the left to the far side of the right of my room boundaries. May be seductive initially but it just doesn’t sound real and right.
Other aspects of my personal experience with the qol :-
1) The S/N ratio is indeed rather low as previously posted; I can hear more hiss and noise from my speakers in between tracks and during soft passages. With the qol out of the chain, the added noise was gone
2} When I cranked up the volume with the qol in place, there is a point where distortion can be easily heard and things start to sound ragged
3) To reiterate, image size is stretched to the point of unbelievability. A glaring example is when the tenor sax is playing, it is as if I am standing at the “cusp of the crucible” so to speak, staring down into the deep belly of the sax – totally unreal
4) The bypass mode is not a true absolute bypass. Remove the qol from the chain altogether and the comparison is startling – one gets easily seduced by the immediate signal gain and think, ah, instruments have more body but take it out of the chain, and gradually crank up your system. You will realise a similar gain in instrument body but without the image stretching effect."

http://www.dagogo.com/bsg-technologies-qol-signal-completion-preamplifier-review/2

By way of follow up, I just received an email stating that BSG is closing the company and that their QOL processor is now offered at fire sale prices from Underwood HiFi.

Back