Digital Crossovers in Montis and Summit X etc.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayman

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking at buying a pair of ML Montis and temporary halted the process when I realized that it will soon be discontinued.

However, since all the new ML reference range speakers come with Digital crossovers, I am wondering about what exactly happens to the audio signal that is fed in to these speakers.

As I understand, the signal that is fed in to Montis goes through a Analog--Digital conversion first before the DPS is applied and then the separated HF and LF signals are going through individual Digital--Analog conversion again before being sent to the ES panel and the class D amplifier that drives the cone woofer respectively.

Doesn't this effectively negate the role of the high end DAC that one might be using upstream, as what the speakers essentially "see / hear" is what is converted by the in-speaker DAC?

Or am I completely off base here?

Furthermore, the process involves two sets of conversions; one from analog to digital before DSP and another digital to analog after DSP within the speaker itself.

I have been in touch with Roger Sanders to see how his speakers handle this and he confirmed that his upcoming 10e speakers will use the DBX Venu 360 Digital crossover (form Harman). Venu has the option of receiving a digital signal directly from the source, but Roger does not recommend using Venu as a preamo, so even with this approach an additional conversion process is involved.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

To clarify, the DSP is only applied to low frequencies as the signal goes first through a passive crossover. There is no DSP in the panels path. Since low frequencies need the most cleaning up, a DSP can do far more than passive networks can. This allows us to make a simple crossover to accomplish what we need to do. The more passive parts you put in the path the more they have impact on phase, impedance issues, efficiency, etc. Since we build the panels, we don't have to do much to make them respond to goals, keeping parts to a minimum.

Thanks Peter for your response.

Since you appear to be connected to ML, may I also ask a few followup questions:

1. How does filtering / cross over work in the CLX, as it does not employ DSP?
2. Is there a replacement for CLX in the works (or at least a time line has been agreed)?
3. Could you provide more information on the replacement for Montis, if you are privy to this information.

Thank you very much!

on the CLX, there is a traditional Xover between the two panels. it is a simple as possible while still accomplishing design goal.
As an employee of ML, what you ask on the other two items is to put my job at risk. There are so much conjecture out there, I would not want to add to it. The answer will always be yes in terms of working on new products as we have a full time team always at work. Our design time lines can take years to reach the market as it is not just to make a speaker but to make one that satisfies the worlds different safety regulations. All I can ask for is patience.

Thanks Peter.

I fully understand your position and appreciate your assistance.

Latest posts

Back