EM ESL's DB problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ML Goat

Reaction score
My right EM ESL always sounded more muffled than the left one. I switched positions and still the same thing. I ran audyssey and the culprit speaker is always +2 dbs.. Anyone ever heard of this?

I talked to support. They had me swap panels. Its definitely the panel. Its like 4-5 inches down the panel there is very little or no sound. The other panel is crisp and clear in that area. Its very apparent.. They are only 3 yrs old. Tech support has been great so far.. :)

They are under warranty, couldn't find the receipt,but Best buy helped me with that and the new panel is being shipped from Canada tomorrow. 1st rate is an understatement,they were more prompt than most of my friends. :) Absolute class company!

And I was wondering why my sound stage was so bad..

ML's phenomenal customer service is legendary and has been since the company started. Back in the 80's, one of my Sequels was doing the same thing and they took very good care of me. Awesome!

I know this is an old-ish thread, but the issue ML Goat had with his one panel is a bit confusing to me. These panels are one constant sheet and energized across the entire surface by the stators. How does one section of a panel just stop working?

Just curious is all.

Part of the panel is not working? This usually is due to the loss of the conductive film at the diaphragm, or the bias voltage is not present because it is interrupted in a sector. There is a DC bias voltage across the whole panel. Typically this voltage is around 2K V. There could be many reasons why that section of the panel is not polarized with this DC bias voltage, making the sector to be dead.

The conductive coat of the stat panel is made at atomic level. There is an adhesive that was developed by the Kansas University with the aid of the Nasa to make a plastic to be conductive. Martin Logan had its participation with the developed of this adhesive. Sometimes this adhesive fails, and we have a dead sector at the panel. Why this happens is still unknown.

There is a new adhesive coat circa the year 2000 and up, which its made with aluminium, and there is a new thinner diaphragm, weighting less than the air that it moves. This new technology to build the stat panel, did stop the panels failure and making to be very good with the life span.

Here in Costa Rica, we have a very humid and changes dramatically in our weather. Sometimes we have could weather (not as bad as you have) and suddenly we get hot weather. Humidity sometimes is 100%!! This makes to fail a lot the old technology. On these days, I could say that are just a few with a stat panel problem.

All Martin Logan stat panels have a 5 year warranty!. If you have a problem, just contact their service dept and you will get the best service that you can find.

Latest posts

Back