VINYL SALES vs STREAMING

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well this is interesting.... very cool.... however, maybe its just me..... but wouldn't things like Spotify and youtube be.... just additional income for the musicians? I am certainly not to the point where I want to pay a monthly fee to stream ... but, that's just me.... I think one of the reasons vinyl is coming back - not only because its cool and sounds good if you have a nice deck....... but also because of copyright protection.... I am sure Victor you remember the days (or maybe you don't) - of recording your albums on a decent cassette deck so you could play 'anywhere' .... I will say though - I have seen talk of the revitalization of the cassette!! and to that I will just say... as you in the UK might say.... 'rubbish'!!! :) .... The goal of the cassette was to try to get it to sound 'almost as good' as your albums... and then you were constantly fighting the tape hiss with Dolby Digital B&C.... The little bugger just couldn't go fast enough to reduce those artifacts is my thought....

Oh well - a trip down memory lane... I wish the 'record' industry well..... and tell me - does it make you ill to see old vinyl turned into clocks and such in these artsy stores? Uggh... I hate it... Feels like sacrilege!!! haha... but I do dislike it as I feel that it really is a form of art that they are deprecating (hope that is the right usage of that word!!) ....

I buy almost all of my music on CD's that I rip and then store. The artist still gets their cut :)

I gave away my last turntable and I don't miss it. Moreover I don't even like to deal with CD's. They are still too inconvenient compared to a music server.

well this is interesting.... very cool.... however, maybe its just me..... but wouldn't things like Spotify and youtube be.... just additional income for the musicians? I am certainly not to the point where I want to pay a monthly fee to stream ... but, that's just me.... I think one of the reasons vinyl is coming back - not only because its cool and sounds good if you have a nice deck....... but also because of copyright protection.... I am sure Victor you remember the days (or maybe you don't) - of recording your albums on a decent cassette deck so you could play 'anywhere' .... I will say though - I have seen talk of the revitalization of the cassette!! and to that I will just say... as you in the UK might say.... 'rubbish'!!! :) .... The goal of the cassette was to try to get it to sound 'almost as good' as your albums... and then you were constantly fighting the tape hiss with Dolby Digital B&C.... The little bugger just couldn't go fast enough to reduce those artifacts is my thought....

Hi Timm,
I do indeed recall those heady days of cassette recording (I even have pre-recorded tapes that pre-date the universal use of Dolby). I owned quite a few decks. I held on to my now 40 year old Nakamichi DT600 because it is a work of art. :)
It is still working, unserviced since new (apart from a replacement record/repro head about 30 years ago), with all its original mechanical parts and, astonishingly, no audible trace of wow & flutter(!) :)
Reliable or what?!?!?! ;^)

I've been buying up masses of new vinyl in the last year so I must be able to claim some credit for the sudden upsurge! ;^) :D :D

Last edited:
I buy almost all of my music on CD's that I rip and then store. The artist still gets their cut :)

I gave away my last turntable and I don't miss it. Moreover I don't even like to deal with CD's. They are still too inconvenient compared to a music server.

RCH,It's good to see that have a conscience and support the industry. I can identify with your HDD feelings to some degree. The only difference is that I "rip" special cuts of vinyl to HDD and enjoy them when I'm too lazy to go upstairs and dig out the LP ;^)
(Sounds like sacrilege coming from an analogue diehard like myself) :D :D

RCH,It's good to see that have a conscience and support the industry. I can identify with your HDD feelings to some degree. The only difference is that I "rip" special cuts of vinyl to HDD and enjoy them when I'm too lazy to go upstairs and dig out the LP ;^)
(Sounds like sacrilege coming from an analogue diehard like myself) :D :D

Whatever floats your boat!

I don't think there needs to be any absolutes with music. Do what you like and what works best for any situation.

Well.......

If the record industry had exploited the internet instead of trying to fight it;

if they had come up with innovative new technologies (like Spotify) instead of trying to ram their outdated and unwanted business model down everyone's throat........

If they had worked with the internet instead of trying to litigate it out of existence;

Maybe they'd be in a better position today?

The best thing the record industry has done in all of this is left a great case study for business students in what not to do when your business faces a threat.

Unless you're a #1 hit artist, artists don't make any money out of records anyway. They make money out of live shows and touring. The records are simply a marketing tool to give them exposure. With the record companies out of the way then it's easier for everyone.

What they need to do is write a Christmas No1 single....
Some artists refer to this as "The Pension".... ;^)

Rick Wakeman always lamented the fact that he often ended up out-of-pocket with the live shows.

The most successful concert "re-boot" I've seen was Kate Bush at London's Apollo theatre. She started off planning to do a one-off then extended it to 22 concert dates at the same auditorium due to a 100% sellout. 88000 tickets sold. The "scalpers" were in there, big-time, despite all her efforts to stop them... :(

I'm 31, so I think I'm part of the demographic responsible for bringing vinyl back into the mix. My father gave me a Denon DP-7F a while back and after I picked up a Parasound P5 I hooked it up and got it going. I think what I like about it is the experience of listening. It feels like more of an event.

I'm still a digital guy at heart and like RCH, I too rip CDs to lossless. Although I do love 7-digital's lossless collection.

Latest posts

Back