Spikes or stock rubber mounts

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandeep

Reaction score
Can someone explain if there is any added benefit to use spikes on carpet floor by swapping the stock rubber standoff ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,049
Personally I press my spikes through the carpet so the speaker has a solid footing with the subfloor.

Soon I'll have rock maple flooring under my speakers and I'm going to make a chunk of wood for the speakers to spike into.

That said, I've never taken measurements to see how much of a difference it makes. Many suggest that spikes will tighten up the bass.

Personally I press my spikes through the carpet so the speaker has a solid footing with the subfloor.

Soon I'll have rock maple flooring under my speakers and I'm going to make a chunk of wood for the speakers to spike into.

That said, I've never taken measurements to see how much of a difference it makes. Many suggest that spikes will tighten up the bass.

I just switched to spikes and can hear bit better imaging and tighter bass. I am not how it will impact putting a 400mmx400mm tile underneath. Will try it tomorrow .

I concur Mark, as I do the same. Given the lite weight of the Logan hybrids once in position force is applied to the bass cabinet to be sure the spikes make contact with floor below, in my case concrete.

Can someone explain if there is any added benefit to use spikes on carpet floor by swapping the stock rubber standoff ?

I would recommend pointed feet over rubber feet especially over carpet.

For precisely the reason you delineate, low frequencies tighten up and imaging improves.

Like others have said try to contact the pointed feet with the floor below the carpet.

Will prevent the loudspeaker from rocking too and fro minimally with the music.

Hope you get high quality audio for you have great loudspeakers and upstream HiFi equipment.

Have fun listening to music my friend!

I agree with Mark.

Obviously, you won't want to use spikes on hard floors, but you probably shouldn't have your speakers on hard floors if you're after ultimate sound quality anyway.......

I would recommend pointed feet over rubber feet especially over carpet.

For precisely the reason you delineate, low frequencies tighten up and imaging improves.

Like others have said try to contact the pointed feet with the floor below the carpet.

Will prevent the loudspeaker from rocking too and fro minimally with the music.

Hope you get high quality audio for you have great loudspeakers and upstream HiFi equipment.

Have fun listening to music my friend!

I agree with Mark.

Obviously, you won't want to use spikes on hard floors, but you probably shouldn't have your speakers on hard floors if you're after ultimate sound quality anyway.......

Thanks Guys, i used the spikes with incline in the front and placed on carpet :) It did makes difference.

I previously used spikes with my Summits when we had carpet over concrete slab. However, now have engineered hardwood floor. Tried spikes with underlying saucers, but too difficult to reposition speakers when "dialing" toe-in, etc. Have switched back to rubber feet, and can't really appreciate any detrimental effect. Then again, I'm also running dual BF 210 subs (also on rubber feet).

The notion of "mechanical grounding" is a pretty well accepted concept in physics. When I worked on machine vision systems at Ball Industrial Instruments we could demonstrate improvements in our high speed camera systems just by adding spikes to the mounting systems and electronics cabinets. I have never measured their effect in my audio system, but I do use them pretty religiously, and feel like I can detect a difference with regard to coherence and image stabilization. Since you have both options, swap them back and forth to see if you notice a difference.

Alan,

With all due respect, I cannot imagine how using the rubber feet will do anything positive for your system's performance.

Gordon

Personally, I've used spikes (with small saucers under) on a hardwood floor, but now use double thickness E.V.A. anti vibration pads under my SL3s. I find that over all clarity is improved with the E.V.A pads.

Agreed. Many ways to address the vibration issue.

Need to experiment to find the best mouse trap.

I'm trying Iteration No. 154 tonight.

i am using spiked now, with rear spikes loosen to its first or second thread for forward inclining the Montis towards listening position.. i found the music more focused and direct with wider soundstage .

I recently put a 3/4" MDF board under the spikes on my speakers and I really liked how it sounded.

HOWEVER, I think that is mostly due to raising the height of my speakers and putting MDF under the bottom mounted radiator vs. carpet.

I was able to tilt them back a bit and still keep the highs in the sweet spot AND have it sound a lot better in the living space well behind the sweet spot.

I recently put a 3/4" MDF board under the spikes on my speakers and I really liked how it sounded.
Imagine how groovy it would sound if you put a crystal in the board.:p

Imagine how groovy it would sound if you put a crystal in the board.:p

Will this work, or do I need to take it out of the box ;)

This raises the speakers a good inch. While the speakers are no longer directly coupled to my subfloor they still sound great.

JewelonMDF.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say that with a bit of tweaking it "seems" like I've hit nirvana in this space. I had it setup so that is sounded great in the sweat spot, but the rest of the room sounded dull. Now I've got it sounding pretty darn well throughout the space AND it is really sparkling in the sweet spot area. Maybe I'm just in an incredibly good mood, but everything is sounding fantastic. I had a slow day for work today and I've listened to almost 3 hours of music at one setting. I don't think it has ever sounded this good before, which makes me very suspicious, so we'll see how I feel in a few days.

I drilled small short holes for the front two spikes on both boards so I would have perfect alignment for aesthetic reasons.

speakerbase.jpg

I have to say that with a bit of tweaking it "seems" like I've hit nirvana in this space. I had it setup so that is sounded great in the sweat spot, but the rest of the room sounded dull. Now I've got it sounding pretty darn well throughout the space AND it is really sparkling in the sweet spot area. Maybe I'm just in an incredibly good mood, but everything is sounding fantastic. I had a slow day for work today and I've listened to almost 3 hours of music at one setting. I don't think it has ever sounded this good before, which makes me very suspicious, so we'll see how I feel in a few days.

I drilled small short holes for the front two spikes on both boards so I would have perfect alignment for aesthetic reasons.

View attachment 18494

Looks great! I did pretty much the same thing only I used granite under my Summits which, with the 1/2 down firing woofers really tightened up the bass.

Back