Montis and StageX for Movies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandeep

Reaction score
Guys,

I have been in practise of running my front speakers SMALL and crossover set between 60-80hz.

As the Montis have its own dedicated sub and goes down to 29hz low frequency, will it be ideal to set them as LARGE / Full range speakers for watching movies, or, set them SMALL and set crossover to 40HZ. I am also thinking to set the StageX at 80hz crossover since it only goes down to 69hz.

Would appreciate your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

Hola. I think I am going to be nailed here but here I go. Your Montis specs says that their frequency response is from 29Hz and up. But its between +-3dB. They do go below those 29Hz! The last big classical piano musical note is an A note with a frequency response of 27.5Hz and this particular musical not A usually is never player due to the fact that even the musical instrument has difficulties of reproducing it.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-notenames.htm

There are some musical instruments that go below than a piano A note, like harp or a church organ.

Your Montis have built in a 24bit digital engine for precise point for their crossover. And also a control knob that allows you to choose the exact bass intensity at your golden seating position of +- 10dB @ 100 Hz and below. You should use them with no crossover, as LARGE. Listen to them first and adjust the bass level at their back The sub for HT should be cut at 80Hz (THX) and using the pink noise feature at your receiver, adjust the the speaker's level to match your Montis, including the sub. Play several times the pink noise, starting from the left speaker, then center speaker, then right speaker, then right surround, left surround and last is the sub. At this forum, you will find a very dedicated audiophiles that will guide you to get the most of the audio adjusting level via a mic and the built in computer algorithm for this purpose. The final judges are your ears. Its your room and your liking musical taste. Happy listening!

Hola. I think I am going to be nailed here but here I go. Your Montis specs says that their frequency response is from 29Hz and up. But its between +-3dB. They do go below those 29Hz! The last big classical piano musical note is an A note with a frequency response of 27.5Hz and this particular musical not A usually is never player due to the fact that even the musical instrument has difficulties of reproducing it.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-notenames.htm

There are some musical instruments that go below than a piano A note, like harp or a church organ.

Your Montis have built in a 24bit digital engine for precise point for their crossover. And also a control knob that allows you to choose the exact bass intensity at your golden seating position of +- 10dB @ 100 Hz and below. You should use them with no crossover, as LARGE. Listen to them first and adjust the bass level at their back The sub for HT should be cut at 80Hz (THX) and using the pink noise feature at your receiver, adjust the the speaker's level to match your Montis, including the sub. Play several times the pink noise, starting from the left speaker, then center speaker, then right speaker, then right surround, left surround and last is the sub. At this forum, you will find a very dedicated audiophiles that will guide you to get the most of the audio adjusting level via a mic and the built in computer algorithm for this purpose. The final judges are your ears. Its your room and your liking musical taste. Happy listening!

Thanks Roberto, my dealer have shared similar thoughts as well. He preferred to run the Montis full range and cut over the StageX at 80hz. Also the EM-FX2 surrounds goes down to 55hz and advised me to cut over at 60hz. This way, the Paradigm Sub-15 have to work less harder and it can more focus in reproducing sound from the .1 channel and incoming crossover frequency from Surround back, Surround back rear and ceiling speakers .

Chances are your sub(s) are better EQd and flatter in the room than your mains and you're probably better off crossing them over. You should experiment with crossovers and what not, though, as it'll depend heavily on your combo and room.

Chances are your sub(s) are better EQd and flatter in the room than your mains and you're probably better off crossing them over. You should experiment with crossovers and what not, though, as it'll depend heavily on your combo and room.

Agree, i have asked the question to martin logan , who redirected to Australian distributor to answer. They told that it will be better to crossover at 40hz and take it from there. Running the Montis full range for movies will wear and tear the sub quicker.

Latest posts

Back