Impact of Equipment Rack

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
It is mentioned here often that you should not have an equipment rack between your speakers as it messes up imaging.

In my setup there is no rack between my speakers, but I do have a rack to the right of my right speaker (pictures of my left and right speakers attached).

What I have noticed is that I get a nicely focussed central image when I'm listening to a singer, and I hear instruments to the left of my left speaker (the effect is great!), but nothing to the right of my right speaker. I've noticed this on many recordings (vinyl and digital).

So I was wondering if the equipment rack is what is causing the lack of instruments to the right of the right speaker.

My wife would like me to get a lower rack, so that it's less obtrusive visually, when funds permit. To the acousticians out there: do you think this would help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Damn!

For some reason I can attach only one picture at a time, and it's rotated. Tom/Dave/Tim, please fix this for me.

Second pic:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 113
Bernard, I'm not sure as to how to rotate your pic, I'll keep trying .............

As for the acoustic anomaly I too have my equipment rack along the wall from my rt speaker, though not as close and I do hear soundstage extension beyond the speaker. With respect to your left speaker I'm wondering if your TV creates an issue with first point of reflection ?

It is mentioned here often that you should not have an equipment rack between your speakers as it messes up imaging.

In my setup there is no rack between my speakers, but I do have a rack to the right of my right speaker (pictures of my left and right speakers attached).

What I have noticed is that I get a nicely focussed central image when I'm listening to a singer, and I hear instruments to the left of my left speaker (the effect is great!), but nothing to the right of my right speaker. I've noticed this on many recordings (vinyl and digital).

So I was wondering if the equipment rack is what is causing the lack of instruments to the right of the right speaker.

My wife would like me to get a lower rack, so that it's less obtrusive visually, when funds permit. To the acousticians out there: do you think this would help?

Bernard like you I have found Audio focus or overall quality deteriorates if HiFi equipment is placed on furniture between ML's. Same applies if furniture is placed near ML's next to the left or right wall.

I have placed my HiFi equipment and desktop on a low, long table three feet behind the CLS.

To you I would recommend using a low, long table for placing equipment. And placed at least 3 feet behind the SL3.

Please try or experiment and I hope you get optimum sound applying above idea for audio quality.

Have fun listening to music my friend.:music:

Put wooden boards on the floor and shun mooks on them, and equipment on top of that. Wife happy, as it is low, no effect to soundstage, and overall sound gets better

Put wooden boards on the floor and shun mooks on them, and equipment on top of that. Wife happy, as it is low, no effect to soundstage, and overall sound gets better
Easy for you to say, young man! I can't imagine paying homage to my turntable every time I want to play an LP. Also, it would take up a lot of real estate.

Bernard like you I have found Audio focus or overall quality deteriorates if HiFi equipment is placed on furniture between ML's. Same applies if furniture is placed near ML's next to the left or right wall.

I have placed my HiFi equipment and desktop on a low, long table three feet behind the CLS.

To you I would recommend using a low, long table for placing equipment. And placed at least 3 feet behind the SL3.

Please try or experiment and I hope you get optimum sound applying above idea for audio quality.

Have fun listening to music my friend.:music:
Thanks for the suggestion Rehan, but the space between the speakers is mutually-agreed sacred ground for my wife's plants. Also, equipment there would block the view. I will just have to experiment with a lower rack in the present location. I may move the right speaker in a bit too.

Thanks for the suggestion Rehan, but the space between the speakers is mutually-agreed sacred ground for my wife's plants. Also, equipment there would block the view. I will just have to experiment with a lower rack in the present location. I may move the right speaker in a bit too.

Slightly different idea, hope your better half approves.

Depending on how much room space length wise in front of SL3's. Why do you not move both loudspeakers forward 5 to 6 feet. Move the plants forward in similar way. Now you will have space for a foot and half high table, six feet in length right behind the plants but just in front of the scenic window. sInce the HiFi equipment will be kept on a low height table it will not obstruct the view and will itself be hidden from view by the plants placed in front of it.

Do you approve?

Slightly different idea, hope your better half approves.

Depending on how much room space length wise in front of SL3's. Why do you not move both loudspeakers forward 5 to 6 feet. Move the plants forward in similar way. Now you will have space for a foot and half high table, six feet in length right behind the plants but just in front of the scenic window. sInce the HiFi equipment will be kept on a low height table it will not obstruct the view and will itself be hidden from view by the plants placed in front of it.

Do you approve?
Moving the speakers forward 5 to 6 feet would be using them as giant headphones, and they would be in the middle of the room. Just not practical.

Latest posts

Back