Cables/summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Since the summits have built in bass amps why would it make any difference on what type of cable u use for the bass? Is the cable just used for the stat panels and the signal is jumpered down to the bass drivers? If this makes sense could u please explain how this works when u have built in amps for just the bass? Thanks

The signal being fed to the amps in your Summits comes from your amp through your speaker cables, so both the amp and the speaker cables will affect the sound of the bass produced. It's easy to understand that a powerful solid state amp feeding your Summits would send a signal that would produce deeper tighter bass than a lower powered tube amp would. The amps in your Summits amplify the signal they get and that signal would be different for each of the two types of amps mentioned above.

I don't know if the speaker cables will have a large or small effect on the bass, different people would probably disagree about this. The speaker cables would probably have a greater effect on the panels, so I would consider that matchup more important, but you never know.

Last edited:
If you have two sets of speaker binding posts, the quality of the jumper is significant regrading performance.

Do not use the POS that ML provides.

Like with everything else in life, too many choices.

Goto the Cable Company to see the various manufacturer / price options.

Since the summits have built in bass amps why would it make any difference on what type of cable u use for the bass? Is the cable just used for the stat panels and the signal is jumpered down to the bass drivers? If this makes sense could u please explain how this works when u have built in amps for just the bass? Thanks
The signal from the cable is attenuated down to line level and is then amplified by the bass amplifier. It's unfortunate that ML retained all four terminals (for people who already have biwire cable).

Theoretically the wire used for the jumper should be the same type as the wire from the amp to the speaker. I made my own with 12ga wire I got from an audioshop and lockable banana plugs. The wire from the amp is terminated in spades.

Back