New Sequel ll owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aburnham2

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm a retired electronic technician living in Maine. Music, equipment, reading, sailing, and cooking for hobbies (all on a budget). I bought a pair of Sequel lls from their second owner they looked and sounded good (cheap $450 for the pair). Needed woofers right away so found a pair that had similar specs and installed them. Sounds good so far. Then I read threads on this forum for Sequels and decided to replace the capacitors in the crossovers. Kudos to the forum for keeping all this stuff available, and KennyG (2007) posts on crossovers. The difference is hard to believe, and wonderful. I called Martin Logan and WOW great company, told me my date of manufacture was 1993 and that I could order newly manufactured ESL panels for $654 each. They would have all the latest in materials and techniques. Sounds like a bargain to me but I think my Sequels sound great now despite their age, comparison is Klipsch Quartets with upgraded crossovers. Klipsches are different of course but the Sequels are so spacious. As I am not wealthy I'm running the Sequels with a very old but wonderful Denon PMA-550. Glad to be aboard. Thanks all. Alan Burnham, Listening to Beethoven's 9th now ecstasy.

Hi Alan,

I'm an original owner of a pair of Sequel IIs from 1990 and within the past few years I've replaced the woofer and caps (Clarity Cap) with very good results. I've also replaced the stat panels and if yours are the originals I highly recommend doing so, budget permitting. Just keep in mind that they'll be more revealing of what's upstream (sources and gear) which can be a double-edged sword. The good gets better and... you know how it goes.

Bob Fey
Orange CA

I'm still working on refurbishing my Sequel IIs, but it has been a great experience learning how electrostatic speakers work. There still seems to be a lot of these out there in the wild! I had considered new panels, but seeing I could buy newer used ML models for less money than a pair of panels, it made no sense. I'm just hoping I like the outcome when I'm finished. ;) I heard a pair of brand new CLS-IIs back in 1987 and have been wanting stats ever since. Spoiled for life, I guess. ;)

Welcome to the ML club!

I've loved my Sequell IIs since I got them new in 1993. They've been doing rear channel duties for the past 16 years in my rig. Glad to see you perform the the necessary updates. Too bad the prices of replacement panels skews the idea of updating, but the originals (if well cared for) can last a long time.

Thanks everyone, I think I will eventually buy new panels from ML at their price I think it is a bargain. I am just enjoying what I have. I will eventually hook up my Crown D150a and IC150 I have refurbished to the Sequels.

Welcome Alan! I had Sequels so old their #'s didn't show on the list here, they were from about 1988? Panels sounded wonderful, woofers replaced and thats it, had to sell them years ago. I think for $400. There is something magical about the early ML's, it's hard to put a finger on or words to convey...they need a good amp though! A bit more than your nice old Denon can muster. I don't know much about Crown gear other than they should have the power. What size is your room? Do you have space to let them breath...6 feet on either side? They'll sound wonderful boxed in but...

You like the panels as is, put money aside for later, read the amp sub forum and members systems for suggestions, enjoy buddy

Thanks stuwee, I actually just purchased a one owner Crown DC300A, with 150 watts into 8 ohms and 300 into 4 ohms it should do the trick. 14 by 24 is my room with a good 5 to 6 feet on each side. Loving the sound, can't wait to hook up the new amp.

So your putting them on the long wall? If so, pull them out about 3' from the back of the panels and the soundstage will blow you away! I emailed a buddy who uses DC300A's and he loves them! You should be pleased for a long time with that set up. A lot of folks here use super high $$ amps, and that's fine! I'm a blue collar guy like you and have bills before happiness, I splurged on Summits and a vintage SAE A1001 amp. Should be set for many years! Pics and impressions when you get the Crown. Lot's of ML lovers here that could benefit from the review of the Crown300A/Sequel II's

Thanks stuwee, I actually just purchased a one owner Crown DC300A, with 150 watts into 8 ohms and 300 into 4 ohms it should do the trick. 14 by 24 is my room with a good 5 to 6 feet on each side. Loving the sound, can't wait to hook up the new amp.

Is the Crown DC300A an improvement over the Denon? Have you installed new panels for Sequel 2's?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Have fun listening to music!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got the DC300a and my IC150 hooked up in the house, I'm impressed even before I can play at a good volume (wife likes soft music). It makes the Sequels sound better, even the wife noticed. More later. I won't be ordering new panels for a while.

Finally got the DC300a and my IC150 hooked up in the house, I'm impressed even before I can play at a good volume (wife likes soft music). It makes the Sequels sound better, even the wife noticed. More later. I won't be ordering new panels for a while.

Great to hear Crown power amp makes the Sequel 2's sing.

Alan, thanks very much for your response.

Have fun listening to music, my friend!

Latest posts

Back