Should I buy Martin Logan Sl3 or Aeon or new electromotion ESL?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaven555

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Martin Logan Aeon's or SL3's for about $1000 each and I am strongly considering it. These speakers are pretty old though and I am wondering if the new Martin Logan electromotion ESL's outperform these speakers due to the newer technology. I will be able to audition all three, but not on the same equipment. Before pulling the trigger on any of these, I would appreciate any feedback from those of you who are familiar with how these speakers sound.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I have owned SL3.s and currently have Electromotions in the living room for HT. I have heard Aeons quite a few times. I would pick the Electromotions based on the age of the SL3s

Tell us what equipment you will be using with your system. It may make the decision easier.

Welcome Gaven, a lot of good information here.

I have owned SL3.s and currently have Electromotions in the living room for HT. I have heard Aeons quite a few times. I would pick the Electromotions based on the age of the SL3s

Tell us what equipment you will be using with your system. It may make the decision easier.

Welcome Gaven, a lot of good information here.

I have a Yamaha RX-V479, and I probably would replace the panels if I got the SL3's.

Your receiver would have a difficult time making the SL3's sing... VERY difficult load for that receiver. The newer ML's are smaller, better and easier to drive... I'd go with the EM-ESL.

Your receiver would have a difficult time making the SL3's sing... VERY difficult load for that receiver. The newer ML's are smaller, better and easier to drive... I'd go with the EM-ESL.

How much better are the Electromotion ESL's? The guy who is selling the SL3's dropped his price to $800 which is less than half of what I would have to pay for the Electromotions. About the amp, my dad uses the same amp on his Sequel II's and it seems to handle them very well. The amp does not clip even at high volume from what I can tell, but if you had to recommend an amp for around $1,000 for these kind of speakers, what would be in your opinion a good choice?

Welcome to the fun Gaven, a couple of questions for you...

Does your Dad live near you? I ask because you live in a major metro area, maybe sniff around on craigslist for a nice vintage amp. Assuming the Yamaha has pre-outs for 2 channel. You could listen to the Sequel II's. I agree with Tom, most A/V receivers can not handle ML's Very difficult load!! In a modest room and at semi high listening levels, maybe. I'm a guy who likes the most bang for my buck, you seem the same, so

What are your room dimensions? Do you like concert levels? Does moderate levels for the most part with headroom sound right for your style?

I have a good friend in VA who might sell his SL3's for less than what your new lower price is to a good home, new panels will be needed due to age and a proper amp. I know nothing about the new electromotions. Like I said "welcome to the fun buddy" ;)

The newer speakers sound like a great match for what you need with minimal fuss but, I'd go for the vintage SL3's and a nice Yamaha amp like the MX-800U I used to run my Sequels with (rated to 1 ohm, 350+watts). Sold mine on CL for $250 in a moment of duress :( .

Welcome to the fun Gaven, a couple of questions for you...

Does your Dad live near you? I ask because you live in a major metro area, maybe sniff around on craigslist for a nice vintage amp. Assuming the Yamaha has pre-outs for 2 channel. You could listen to the Sequel II's. I agree with Tom, most A/V receivers can not handle ML's Very difficult load!! In a modest room and at semi high listening levels, maybe. I'm a guy who likes the most bang for my buck, you seem the same, so

What are your room dimensions? Do you like concert levels? Does moderate levels for the most part with headroom sound right for your style?

I have a good friend in VA who might sell his SL3's for less than what your new lower price is to a good home, new panels will be needed due to age and a proper amp. I know nothing about the new electromotions. Like I said "welcome to the fun buddy" ;)

The newer speakers sound like a great match for what you need with minimal fuss but, I'd go for the vintage SL3's and a nice Yamaha amp like the MX-800U I used to run my Sequels with (rated to 1 ohm, 350+watts). Sold mine on CL for $250 in a moment of duress :( .

I have a small 800 sqr ft apartment, one speaker would be up against a corner _| and the other will be up against a wall | (a couple feet from actually touching the wall though). I will not play them very loud either. Where does your friend live and how much will he sell his speakers for?

Your space limitations also would lean me towards the EM-ESL. They will be a much better fit in that small space.

Back