What power amplifier to buy to drive CLS under $2500?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehan Azim Hashmi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Have listened briefly to Quad Elite QMP mono blocks attached to EM-ESL.

Scheduled day to listen to Anthem MCA 225 stereo power amp was today.

However the HiFi retailer has not received delivery of the main amp.

Hopefully by Saturday the Anthem 225 will be available for auditioning.

What amp would be the better choice to drive CLS? Quad QMP or Anthem MCA 225.

Thanks in advance for opinions brought to the foreground.

Does the amp contain capacitors?

Will the amp you are auditioning be broken in?

Be careful Rehan.

What you hear initially may not be what you will hear when the amp is fully "burned in".

I think that you are going to like the product. Its built with high quality parts, and its electronic design is very cleaver. Easy to service, because its built in modules. But what´s more important it the quality sound. It is not bad. I did not hear the muted highs...I got through my speakers, a very very steady sound stage, with good resolution. My heart is with tubes, but if I would not have tubes around, this unit is a very good choice for the price point. I hope that you can listen it for a good time. Spend three to four hours with it...and write on a piece of paper your findings...a good way to make comparisons. Happy listening!

I think that you are going to like the product. Its built with high quality parts, and its electronic design is very cleaver. Easy to service, because its built in modules. But what´s more important it the quality sound. It is not bad. I did not hear the muted highs...I got through my speakers, a very very steady sound stage, with good resolution. My heart is with tubes, but if I would not have tubes around, this unit is a very good choice for the price point. I hope that you can listen it for a good time. Spend three to four hours with it...and write on a piece of paper your findings...a good way to make comparisons. Happy listening!

Hola Roberto, thanks for the sagacious advice. And happy listening to you to.

Good to know Rehan...its a great sounding amplifier, and also it challenges some of high cost amps too. I do like their (Anthem) design. This amp has a very unique design. A lot of care and effort had being taken for service the unit, if might need it in a future. The amp its built in blocks. If any problem arise, its very easy to service. There are a lot of good brands, that never thought the possibility of service...you must send the amplifier to the factory for service. Following the service instructions, its easy to find where is the problem, and being modular, just change the bad section, and you are in the tracks again. Its a very cleaver solution!!! Happy listening Rehan. Enjoy quality sound!

Back