Tune pre-amp with Tube or Solid-state Amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandeep

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased PrimaLuna Prologue premium Tube pre-amplifier. I have a marantz 2ch 140w rms per channel amplifier for the ML Montis.

Will it be ideal to get the Emotiva XPA 2 - 2nd generation 500w per channel solid state amp or it is better to stick to the same brand of pre-amplifier, i.e. Primaluna Prologue Premium power amp or the Dialogue power amp, may be a different brand of tube power amp.

Hi,

I have recently purchased PrimaLuna Prologue premium Tube pre-amplifier. I have a marantz 2ch 140w rms per channel amplifier for the ML Montis.

Will it be ideal to get the Emotiva XPA 2 - 2nd generation 500w per channel solid state amp or it is better to stick to the same brand of pre-amplifier, i.e. Primaluna Prologue Premium power amp or the Dialogue power amp, may be a different brand of tube power amp.

Since the montis has powered bass, ur concern is just the stat panel. U could go with tubes but they are limitred when the stat panel goes down to .7 ohms the tubes will roll off the high end. A good solid state amp that can handle the low impedence like bryston would be your best bet. U mentioned. Emotiva look up there specs and see how low it can go. Good luck and happy listening u have a nice system there.

Hi Sandeep,
Stick with a good, robust well-proven tube amps like PrimaLuna Prologue, Cary or Rogue Audio and you'll be fine. Since you already have the PrimaLuna pre-amp, I would take a serious look at the Prologue amplifier for their features like autobias, and built-in protection circuitry.

Good luck,
Spike

The XPA-2 works really well and is currently available for only $719 which is a steal. It has a 30 day money back guarantee so you could try it out and see if you like and if not you are just out shipping costs.

I got mine fully expecting it to fall short in some way. I was originally planning to buy a Bryston, but I kept my XPA-2 and I've had it for a year so far and am very happy with it.

The easy answer is depends.

On your ears and expectations.

Safest, best course. Try before you buy.

GG

I am thinking the same. Their Premium and Dialogue integrated are A rated product in stereophile, i assume i will not be wrong matching the amp with the pre-amp.

I am thinking the same. Their Premium and Dialogue integrated are A rated product in stereophile, i assume i will not be wrong matching the amp with the pre-amp.

With all due respect, I'd blow off the "rating" on the product regardless of the rating source. It's all so system / room / personal bias dependent. I've had several "A" rated products in my system over the years and ended up returning because I didn't like the sound. The Esoteric K01 CDP is my most recent example.

GG

Hey Sandeep, I think we might have discussed this a little on Facebook.

The MM7025 is a great amp, but isn't really rated for speakers that need power at much lower impedance. I know of a few McIntosh power amplifiers for sale currently that might be suited for your needs. PM me if you're interested.

I use a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Integrated with sub out and KT120 tubes for my Montis + Balanced Force 210, for all standalone audio listening. For Movies and Home Theater I have a Marantz SR 6009 which routes to Montis L/R speakers through the Prima Luna via HT passthrough, and the Marantz also goes direct to the BF 210 for LFE.

Very happy with this best of both worlds setup.

Bubba, I might have to use the HT passthrough for my Marantz SR7009 front channels while watching movie. It will be a waste of power that the primaluna pre-amp has to stay on , which is why i am looking to get a amplifier with dual inputs. The Van del hul magnum hybrid speaker cables gets reset if moved from its place and needs several hours to break them in.

I am not getting dragged into Anthem MCA 30 Power amp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back