Crossover settings for HT playback

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandeep

Reaction score
Three questions regarding ML Montis

Guys,

a. What is your opinion on setting the crossover on my MArantz AV receiver SR-7009 for the ML Montis and Stage-X? I have a Paradigm Sub-15 subwoofer which is Class A rated in stereophile website.

b. As my floor is carpeted and room is acoustically treated , should it be beneficial to use one square slab of Tile under the Montis . Placing the montis on spikes will punch through the carpet and might reduce its sonic quality.

c. As the Montis is powered separately,does it mean that the AV Receiver or a Power Amp will actually power drive the mid and high range .

Last edited:
Guys,

a. What is your opinion on setting the crossover on my MArantz AV receiver SR-7009 for the ML Montis and Stage-X? I have a Paradigm Sub-15 subwoofer which is Class A rated in stereophile website.

b. As my floor is carpeted and room is acoustically treated , should it be beneficial to use one square slab of Tile under the Montis . Placing the montis on spikes will punch through the carpet and might reduce its sonic quality.

c. As the Montis is powered separately,does it mean that the AV Receiver or a Power Amp will actually power drive the mid and high range .

Sandeep,
A couple of points to consider in set up.
1. The Montis crosses over to its powered woofer at 345 hz. Its set up can be optimized with your Marantz SR 7009 in the speaker set up menu. Theoretically you would want to be sure that it is set up as a full range speaker since the Paradigm sub cuts off sharply at 150 Hz but its contribution can be tweaked as well in the set up menu. The Stage is a 3-way speaker with a woofer cross over at 450 Hz and a usable low end to about 70 Hz. You should set this up as a non-full range speaker with a low end cutoff to about 80 Hz.
2. These are all starting points. The Marantz uses a nice Audyssey EQ program so that you further trim your speaker set up to your room. I would do this after your original speaker settings are made.
3. Use your ears to be sure that the system sounds properly balanced with good sound sources (music not test discs).
4. Rather than put your speakers on a slab (that could alter their resonance), you could put footer discs that the spikes will rest on. This allows sliding the speakers around to optimal position without harming the carpet. These are generally available at hardware stores like Lowe's and are very inexpensive.
5. Your AVR already has 9 amplification channels, two of which would drive the Montis and one the Stage. The Paradigm is already powered so would just need a direct audio output connection from the AVR.

Hope this helps.

Sandeep,
A couple of points to consider in set up.
1. The Montis crosses over to its powered woofer at 345 hz. Its set up can be optimized with your Marantz SR 7009 in the speaker set up menu. Theoretically you would want to be sure that it is set up as a full range speaker since the Paradigm sub cuts off sharply at 150 Hz but its contribution can be tweaked as well in the set up menu. The Stage is a 3-way speaker with a woofer cross over at 450 Hz and a usable low end to about 70 Hz. You should set this up as a non-full range speaker with a low end cutoff to about 80 Hz.
2. These are all starting points. The Marantz uses a nice Audyssey EQ program so that you further trim your speaker set up to your room. I would do this after your original speaker settings are made.
3. Use your ears to be sure that the system sounds properly balanced with good sound sources (music not test discs).
4. Rather than put your speakers on a slab (that could alter their resonance), you could put footer discs that the spikes will rest on. This allows sliding the speakers around to optimal position without harming the carpet. These are generally available at hardware stores like Lowe's and are very inexpensive.
5. Your AVR already has 9 amplification channels, two of which would drive the Montis and one the Stage. The Paradigm is already powered so would just need a direct audio output connection from the AVR.

Hope this helps.

That is great advice. I seldom see anyone offer good advice like you have with item 2. Audyssey right at the end of a careful setup.

Back