Surge Protection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exciting weather yesterday. We had a weather front go through here yesterday with some bad cell areas.

My wife and I were standing in the kitchen and facing the pole barn on one side of the property. All of a sudden there was a huge flash and house shaking boom. I could see what looked like fireworks shooting into the air over the ridge of the pole barn. That was followed be a trail of smoke steadily coming from the far side.

I headed out the door to see if it was on fire and move the tractor and other equipment. I got about 3 steps from the bottom of the stairs when another bolt hit somewhere in the area and I decided that was what insurance was for. My wife called the fire department and after arriving determined there was a strike but nothing was on fire.

It went into two branch circuits in one PVC conduit and blew the side out of the conduit. It tripped both breakers but not the 200A main in the panel in the barn. I will need to replace some conduit and wire, 2 high intensity fluorescent fixtures and a GFI outlet. I'm surprised that nothing else was touched in the panel. There is no hole in the roof just some burn marks on the underside of the metal roofing.

My brother in law had been keeping his new motor home there for the last month, fortunately it was at the dealer having maintenance done. There was an extension cord plugged into the outlet with the 2 ultra sonic gadgets to keep rodents away from the motor home that probably meet an untimely death also.

I would say we were quite lucky that nothing more happened. Though we did go around the house shutting things off and pulling the plugs of anything we could. Audio equipment first.

Attachments

• DSC_1814 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1814 (Medium).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_1813 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1813 (Medium).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_1817 (Medium).jpg
    DSC_1817 (Medium).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 47
Back