Montis Bass Control Setting

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCDude

Reaction score
Sorry for the rather silly question as I'm sure it is very system/room specific really. However, I was just curious for the Montis owners out there, what bass control setting do you have your speakers set at?

Personally, I have my Montis at -7 and for classic rock, I tend to bump up the knob to -4. Speakers are in a room that is 13 ft wide x 16 ft long (speakers setup across short wall). The speakers are 4 ft from the back wall and 2.5 ft from side walls. The wall behind my seat has a wide entrance (no door) and a huge portal next to the entrance....so essentially very open with hardly any back wall.

I used to have Vantage speakers and the bass knob didn't really do much in my room. I have to say, for the Montis, the bass knob is very sensitive and really affects the overall tone of the music, including vocals, clarity and micro-detail. And to think, I used to have it set at 0. After I read a review (may have been Stereophile) where the reviewer had it set at -8, I tried speakers at that level and realized how much cleaner the speakers sounded and how the upper-mids/highs cleared up or perhaps opened up.

I have my Spires set with bass at lowest setting, -10, in a similar sized room. This gives me flattest curve and best sound when measured with my Velodyne DD12+ sub. Great sound, with the panel resolving better with less vibration from the woofer. Can you still follow bass lines recorded low in the mix. I have a personal test disc I use for that (Michel Petrucciani, Live in Tokyo). Before the sub I used 0 or -1......

My Montis' replaced the original Aerius in my 21' x 15' room. Maybe I'm still enjoying the bass, never had it before in my system, but I have left the control set to 0. Using the spikes really helps to tighten the bass and improve sound staging.

I have my Spires set with bass at lowest setting, -10, in a similar sized room. This gives me flattest curve and best sound when measured with my Velodyne DD12+ sub. Great sound, with the panel resolving better with less vibration from the woofer. Can you still follow bass lines recorded low in the mix. I have a personal test disc I use for that (Michel Petrucciani, Live in Tokyo). Before the sub I used 0 or -1......

Hi Dougster,

Thanks for your reply. I do not the Montis paired with sub(s) at this time but am actually very pleased with the bass coming just from the Montis. I can follow bass lines recorded low in the mix but i'm sure I'm missing some of that bottom octave. I should look into doing some sound curve measurements like you to optimize setting. I will have to read and learn so I can figure out how to measure flattest curve. Thanks again for your reply.

My Montis' replaced the original Aerius in my 21' x 15' room. Maybe I'm still enjoying the bass, never had it before in my system, but I have left the control set to 0. Using the spikes really helps to tighten the bass and improve sound staging.

PaulRS, thanks for your reply. How far are you speakers from the front and side walls. Your room is quite a bit bigger than mine and so you probably do need to bump up the setting to 0. I agree spikes helps a lot. I have mine on spikes that are on top of hockey pucks. I find the pucks actually improved the sound a lot. I think I read about the pucks on this forum. Any how, have you tried listening to the mid and upper mids when you lower the bass setting to -8 compared to 0? I found a huge difference in clarity.

Latest posts

Back