Thread: Tube integrated's and low watt SET tube amps

Default Tube integrated's and low watt SET tube amps

For stereo only users, on jazz, and classical music, with ML Theos I'm a fan of small watt SET tube amps and KT88 based tube integrated's.

With great success I've mated a Shuguang S8MK integrated stocked with upgraded Black Treasure tubes. The below amp is 60 watts. Regarding low watt SET amps, I use a 10 watt Dennis Had Inspire Fire Bottle KT88 SET amp with a matching Inspire preamp.

I use a single Depth i sub which is more than adequate for my room.

Folks have the misconception that all ML's are power hungry. For 20 years I drove ML's with 100 watt Class A Plinius and Pass Lab amps. My solid state days are long gone. Small watt tube power is power a plenty for an average room. Everyone listens differently and has individual volume needs depending upon their musical tastes and listening habits. But don't rule out quality low watt power.

Interesting thanks! Any low priced tube amps you can recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by aburnham2 View Post
    Interesting thanks! Any low priced tube amps you can recommend?
    May be PrimaLuna Prologue or Classic Integrated amp.
    My System:
    Oppo BDP 105D, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre-Amp, Anthem A5 Amp,Rotel RMB-1075 Amp, Anthem AVM60 Pre/Pro, Martin Logan Montis,Stage X, EM-FX2, FX, Balancedforce 212 sub, Paradigm Sa-15R 8" ceiling speakers, JVC DLA-X700B, 130" screen,Van Den Hul The Name RCA & XLR and Magnum hybrid cables,ISOTek Evo3 Aquarius and premere, GIK Acoustics .

I was going to ask a question about tube amps with ML speakers, but, here is this thread.

I'm working on refurbishing some Sequel IIs (yes, still--been too busy with work lately), and while I'm happy with my solid state amp (a Nelson Pass "Stasis" design), I passed by a really nice Conrad-Johnson MV60SE due to a lack of funds (60w/ch). I wondered if they would be able to drive the speakers to the levels I sometimes play back the music at. (Hard to reproduce a proper orchestra crescendo, or a funk bass line or bass drum, without clipping an amp.) I'd love a pair of Premiere Twelve monoblocks but those are even more out of reach. They are rated 140w.

I imagine it would sound quite good, no doubt about it. I just wonder if they could put out the volume I'm used to. (Not that I play loud often, but there are certain attacks or transients that can easily cause lesser amps to clip, in my experience.)
    -= Rudy =-

I was thinking of trying to drive a pair of Aerius with something like a Marantz 8b or a pair of McIntosh MC30's. Anyone know if those amps are up to the task?

If you guys want to drive the older ML speakers with lower powered tube amps, I highly recommend you bi-amp them with a SS amp driving the woofers. It makes a huge difference in the tube amp's ability to drive the panels without strain, especially noticeable during sharp transients and complex passages (rock music or full orchestra) and higher volume levels. Just make sure you match the voltage gain of the SS amp to the tube amp you use on the panels. And I would go for a minimum of 200 wpc for each woofer, preferably 400. Speaking from experience driving the Ascents with a tube amp, both with and without biamping. It makes a huge difference in the quality of the sound.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

I agree with Rich, I have never done it and want to try it as I have Bi amp capability ! Unless someone has them to try or demo I will not take the leap of faith as its damn good now !
    Martin Logan... Odyssey...Krell KSA 100s...Krell KRC3 Pre Amp...Krell Connect Media server/DAC
    My system here

Thanks for the great tip Rich! I'm gonna start looking for a SS amp to bi-amp them.

One question, how does one match the voltage gain? Is that looking for a matching spec between the two, or is it an adjustment to the tube amp? I found a good deal on a Marantz 8b that I'm gonna use for the aerius panels.