ML ESL with dynamo700 sub what are my upgrade option??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredbergy

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a new ML ESL owner! One of my dream come true!! I bought a ESL pair used that come with the dynamo 700 subwoofer..

After listening to the system when i reach some high listening level the sub seem not able to follow the ESL.... (They are driven by a Marantz SR6200 that give 110W/ch at 8 ohms)

I was thinking to the dynamo 1500.... After reading i checked the SVS that have good reviews on the internet...

Do you have other suggestion? The dynamo 1500 is a good work horse?? (I can have good price on martin logan product here as i know a reseller! But i'm not close to ML only!)

And two other question for subwoofer of another brand :

- speaker position to the floor or front firing?

- ported or sealed??

Thanks a lot guys ahead of time!!

Hi fredbergy - Congrats on picking up the ESLs!
A few questions for you:
- What are the settings for the subwoofer: 1) On the Marantz - is the sub level at +10-12dB? 2) On the Dynamo 700 - is the gain knob turned up past 12 o'clock?
- Have you tried moving the sub to different locations in the room?
- With the sub in its current position, have you tried listening to the bass at different positions throughout the room? Do they all seem just as quiet?
- What set-up/dialing in have you tried with the sub? Did you run Audessey? Set speaker distances (in the AVR)?
- What's your crossover set to?

Answering these questions will help us get a better idea of what the issue might be before you spend more $$$ on a new sub...

I would think the Dynamo 700 is a good match for EM ESLs. I would first try moving it around the room. You might need a longer cable to do that. I would also experiment with the crossover frequency and sub level on the Marantz. If you are using the AVR's subwoofer settings, make sure the Dynamo's crossover is bypassed. It might take time to test these things, but it's worth it.

I have the ESL as well.
I had to sell my new pair of Paradigm Monitor Sub 12 for the same reason. After some research I bought searched for a Sunfire True Signature sub. Not the MkII but the original US made ones. Superb and good down to 16HZ so hello organ music. Very pleased.
Also I have a Sunfire True EQ 10 solitaire that is even a bit quicker and goes down to 20hz. There is a guy rebuilding and restoring these fantastic subs who just did my True EQ.

The dynamo is a fantastic sub, I owned 4 of them at one point. The gloss black model looks stunning and they are beastly boxes of thunder. They are excellent subwoofers and I got them all from audioadvisor. If you were in the usa then you could have got them from there as they have a great return policy.

Edit: After reading my post I should have mentioned I was talking about the 1500.

Not a bad idea to work with the sub setup before giving up. Try sounddoctor.com for their excellent setup cd and guide. Helped me a lot.
But still think the 700 will not get it done.

I have my ESLs playing with an Earthquake Supernova MKV 15" sub. It's a real beast and integrates very nice with the MLs, both for music and movies as well...

Finally ended up buying a dynamo 1500 and love it. The 700 was definetly not enough powerful! The 1500 can follow now everywhere i go on the volume!! Ha ha!!

Back