Ypsilon Aelius vs Luxa Bridged mono

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
This was my third time demoing the Aelius, which are 200w hybrids with C3g valve. I was looking at a hybrid for tough to drive planars. I have demoed the Aeilus previously with a Giya G1 and Ypsilon pre, then the Ypsilon combo with a Soundlabs Ultimate, and on Saturday was able to compare the hybrids with Luxman M800 bridged. A stereo M800 is 60w/ch into 8 ohms, but bridged it goes upto 120, and 240 at 4 ohms. It is stable to 1 ohm, while I think Aelius is stable to 3 or so.

Previously I had always liked the tone of the Aeilus, but though they struggled to drive the speakers in the lower frequencies, and in speed. Fair enough, these speakers were tough. But this time I was able to compare. The Luxman was to me much superior on each aspect of tone, soundstage, ease. Loved it. Ypsilon was more neutral than Luxman, but it wasn't that Luxman was heavily colored.

Stable to 1 ohm so they can drive anything. The owner loves both but slightly prefers the Aelius, though he agreed with what I had to say. He prefers it for the neutrality.

Demo tracks were all orchestral, and baritone vocals.

Latest posts

Back