My first ML speaker! Need advice Vista vs ESL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredbergy

Reaction score
Hi there,

want to accomplish another dream the one to own my own Martin Logan speaker!

I want to put my system on my living room where the dimension is 16'X13' with a 96" standart ceiling..

As i am on a budget tight decision i was looking on some classified ad and get narrowed to 2 ad that have retain my attention :

1- Vista the guy ask 1600$Cad for the pair it say that they are like new condition.. (receive a response from him that the speaker have been bought 5 years ago from a local hifi store here, no warranty)

2- Electromotion ESL the guy ask 1800$Cad for the pair but the kit come with a dynamo700 subwoofer. It have been bought couple month ago with a 9 years warranty.. (i own already a subwoofer here so the subwoofer is not an isue just a plus value for me!)

From what i read here the vista seem better then the ESL one because of the bigger stat panel... So for warranty does the electrostatic panel can be a lot of problem??? Or they are not really??

I see that you can put a cover protection on them when not in use do this protection cover come with the pair when you buy them new?

Also as i will probably have to check the speaker when i will buy one pair what is the best way to acheive an inspection of the speaker before showing the money? ;-)

Also i have a Marantz SR6200 here able to push 110W at 8 ohms.. As i dont want to rock the place do you think that it can be a good start without risk of damaging the speaker?

I know that i will have to change in the near future but i don't have the money to buy all in the first move!!

When i will have to make the move any advice on a good AV receiver?

Thanks for your reply!
Fred

Hi, Fred. If it was me, I think I'd opt for the new Electromotion ESLs. They are newer panels and will be easier for your AVR to drive. You also get a subwoofer, the Dynamo 700, which is a good match for them, and you'll also get the manufacturer's warranty. I've never listened to them, nor the Vistas so I can't comment on sound, but the EM-ESLs seems like a better value for your money than the Vistas.

Hope that helps. Regards.

Being a Vista owner and having heard the ESL I would go for the Vista just because of the image it approaches normal height than the ESL otherwise they sound the same. Also get a powered sub..

I bought my Electromotions a couple of years ago for $1,000 USD/pair. Things to check are dents in the panels, sound coming out of the stat panel is even from top to bottom, the bass drives are functioning, there's no or very little dust on the stat panels. Pretty much any mid class receiver can power them. Really cheap ones might have problems with the low impedance. If you want to get a new receiver, a used Pioneer Elite would be a good option. Make sure to a "SC" model not "VSX". The "SC" has a built in ICE-power amp. I don't put a cover on my ESL's but I do use an air filter in the family room to help reduce the dust in the air.

Finally ended up that i bought the esl with the dynamo 700!! ESL are great!! The only thing is that the dynamo 700 subwoofer don't follow the ESL at louder level... I'm thinking tu upgrade to the dynamo 1500... Any advice? I seen svs subwoofer that seem pretty cool!

See if you can find a used Depth-i or Descent-i. Great subs. Alternatively, get three more Dynamo 700s. You might even DBA with those.

Back