Spires not turning off when amp off?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NordicNorm

Reaction score
Howdy All!

I recently swapped out my tube amp with a Sunfire Symphonic Reference amp and now, when I turn off the amp, my Spires stay on. Not only that, but they emit a low hum as well?

The amp is off although the preamp is in standby mode.

This never happened with my tube amp (Music Angel XD-800 Mkiii) so I'm puzzled why it's happening now? The only way I can get rid of the hum is to power everything off!?

Anyone else ever experience this behaviour?

My system:
Sunfire Symphonic Reference amp (250W @ 8 Ohms/500W @ 4 Ohms)
Doge 8 preamp
Shanling T-80 CDP
Roksan Xerxes
Martin Logan Spires

Is there a hum with no music playing but both pre and power amps on?

A hum is usually a sign of a grounding problem, but the amp is off! The first thing I would try is unplugging the amp from the mains to see if the hum is still there.

Next would be to connect a wire from the chassis of the preamp to the chassis of the power amp (with the power amp plugged in but not on). If it sounds like I'm groping in the dark, I am! That's the nature of any ground problem.

Next would be to connect a wire from the chassis of the preamp to the chassis of the power amp (with the power amp plugged in but not on). If it sounds like I'm groping in the dark, I am! That's the nature of any ground problem.

I'll give that a try.

Problem solved! The culprit turned out to be my DIY power cord.

Swapped in another cord and Bingo!, no hum, and the speakers stay off when the amp is off.

This cord is about 4 years old and I've been using it daily so not sure what happened? But I've recently moved twice in the past 3 months, so maybe something happened then?

Latest posts

Back