I'm Back …………...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Dave,

Long time. I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.

Hey, Hey, My, My... Vinyl records will never die...:

Ray

Technics SL-1200GAE for $4k, I don't think so! Never was that good of a TT to begin with IMO and certainly not for this kind of money even if it is upgraded with a new, non-cogging, DD motor and a much heavier platter/

Not too many years ago I picked up a few Technics turntables in the $50 to $100 range and matched them up with '70's pawnshop Pioneer, Sansui or Marantz receivers, throw in a pair of refoamed JBL L-series speakers and for around $300 put together some great budget vinyl rigs. I gave these systems to musician friends, some of whom record and master with Pro-Tools digital systems and studios.

All are now vinyl junkies.

Technics SL-1200GAE for $4k, I don't think so! Never was that good of a TT to begin with IMO and certainly not for this kind of money even if it is upgraded with a new, non-cogging, DD motor and a much heavier platter/

I do believe upgrades go beyond platter / motor, regardless the 4k price for the 'SE' (1200 units produced) will probably sell out. Later this year the standard unit will cost much less and when you compare in against the lower line offerings from ProJect / Music Hall and Rega (junk, IMO) it should do quite well. As in the past KAB will offer plenty of tweaks and upgrades to satisfy all the '1200 crazies' out there !

No, I will not be trading my VPI Aries III for one though …………...

Wow. The sl-1200. I was looking at this and the thorens td-145. I picked the thorens. But I remember staring at the brochures ... Reading about direct drive and decreased wow and flutter. Just staring at the brochures. Lol. I think at the time - around 1981 - the 1200 was an even 200 and I believe the thorens cost me 211. Seemed like a big difference at the time.

I do believe upgrades go beyond platter / motor, regardless the 4k price for the 'SE' (1200 units produced) will probably sell out. Later this year the standard unit will cost much less and when you compare in against the lower line offerings from ProJect / Music Hall and Rega (junk, IMO) it should do quite well. As in the past KAB will offer plenty of tweaks and upgrades to satisfy all the '1200 crazies' out there !

No, I will not be trading my VPI Aries III for one though …………...

Dave, your post is well taken here. When I first began exploring a beginner vinyl setup, none of the current below-$500 TTs impressed me. They all seemed to be primarily designed to meet a price point more so than with quality in mind. I got the impression no matter the brand or setup listened to. My conclusion is that it is damn difficult to build something similar to a 70s SL-1200 for under four figures. I'm guessing Technics decided to not bother with trying to economize their re-entry into the market. Now if they could just adequately explain why they left the market in the first place...

Latest posts

Back