Bi-wiring Theos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan_DR3

Reaction score
I've narrowed it down to DH Labs Q-10 signature (I really like the black jackets) or a double run of Kimber 4TC (would wrap them in black flex jacket).

My plan with the Q10 is to put the 12ga wires on the HF (panel) and 14ga on the LF (woofer). I know this is backwards but I want the panels to get the best and have the lower inductance link.

With the Kimber I could put 4TC on the HF and save money by putting 4VS on the LF. The VS is supposed to be slightly warmer and wouldn't affect the HF, plus any 14ga wire should allow my Bryston monoblocks to drive that woofer, right?

Length will be only 2m or 6.5ft so I'm not considering anything crazy like shotgun Q10 or 8TC.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have this cable on both of my systems ML SL3 + Bryston 4BST and MG 1.7 + W4S ST500.
For the SL3s I use double runs of the Q-10s (external biwire). I also used to have them in the ML Source for a while.
I like them very much and their reasonable cost makes them quite favorite. They are quite open sounding to my ears, not etchy but airy I would say.
If you do order them, I'd recommend low mass connections. I also use the same wire as jumpers for the Magnepan twitters.
I do not feel the need to change them.
Now for an internal biwire like what you want to do, you might want to try both ways with the 14awg or the 12 awg legs to the panel and see/hear what works best. Might want to consult with DH-Labs directly too.

Thanks.

Looks like I'll be getting the wire bulk and terminating myself. I'll use solderless banana plugs to start so I can easily swap the 12 awg and 10 awg leads for comparison as you suggest. I'm not crazy about the spade connectors that DH Labs uses - they look cheap and I can do better myself for less money. Hopefully they will still have the magic sound that all the reviewers heard.

How strongly do you recommend external biwire with a double run of Q10?

Thanks.

Looks like I'll be getting the wire bulk and terminating myself. I'll use solderless banana plugs to start so I can easily swap the 12 awg and 10 awg leads for comparison as you suggest. I'm not crazy about the spade connectors that DH Labs uses - they look cheap and I can do better myself for less money. Hopefully they will still have the magic sound that all the reviewers heard.

How strongly do you recommend external biwire with a double run of Q10?

Solderless connections is what I also have which I custom ordered from the shop I bought them. For the HF cables I have Z-plugs on amp side and spades on the speakers. For the LF, spades on both. I liked the "butterfly" terminals on the Logans so kept using spades for years. Z-plugs are also a very nice, very low mass connection too which is why I use them in all other points and in the Magnepans. That'd be my favorite type if you don't expect to move the cables too much around.

Well.. I cannot be entirely certain about how much more benefit the shotgun or double run will have, but there should be some and it may be worth it especially if the lengths are long. If they are relatively short though, the difference might be negligible. Compared to some older Audioquests we were running, the Q10 was light years ahead. I believe also that the wire is supposed to be oriented (amp to speaker) basically as it comes out of the factory loom. Back then, folks and magazine reviews recommended biwiring for the crossover of the SL3 thats why I always bewired. The Theos might also benefit even from a single "internal" Q10 biwire. It doesn't harm.

Back