Vpi 3d tonearm

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor

Reaction score
A breakthrough or simply a more convenient manufacturing process?

I know that there are quite few VPI owners on the site.
Has anyone contemplated upgrading(?) from their current VPI Memorial Arm to the 3D?

MW has said that he has piles of Memorial arms in stock that aren't shifting due to the popularity of the new model....

Last edited:
Victor, while I've read quite a bit of 'positive' about the two arms I have no plans of spending $1800-3000 on one …………….. at least until I 'hear' it for myself !

I'd be intrigued to know more about their manufacturing process, Dave.

One thing I do know from a typical manufacturing bureau is that features such as holes, cutouts, slots and voids are usually not suggested to be more precise than 0.2mm (8 thou/mils approx.) It's possible I could be wrong in the context of VPIs supplier but contrast such specs with typical practice for a machined metal arm from companies such as Linn, SME, various German/US/Japanese companies including VPI themselves, in which 0.5 thou is routine where required.
This makes me wonder if they've ever had any alignment issues on any batches?

The only other thing that I find slightly worrying is the toughness of the resin material itself. Some cart bodies are made of plastics or resin for their resonance characteristics but the process of tightening the fixing screws can lead to body cracking in some cases. I'm wondering how the integral headshell would hold up if someone was a little too enthusiastic when applying torque(!)
:O

Latest posts

Back