Theos versus more expensive ML's like Montis or Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your not well versed in audio at all, xt32 and expecting good sound? lol.

That is a little offensive but to each their own.

The sound of the Theo's are getting better all the time. Funny thing is that my wife loves them. Just bought seven used Fresco i's so I am going to commit to ML for now. Just got offered brand new Ethos for $1000 more than I paid for the Theo's. Is the only difference between the Theo's and Ethos the bass performance? As for placement I am stuck for now but down the road I will have an area for two channel once my daughter moves out...if she ever does LOL!

You may want to consider getting yourself an Emotiva XMC-1. It has DIRAC and also a Parametric EQ. Both give you full control of the frequency curve. Much better then xt32. I tried Audyssey and Anthem ARC but DIRAC and even the PEQ in the XMC-1 was much better as it gave me the control I needed to correct my sound where as the other two did not. I can even easily use my ipad mic (not ideal but just trying to make a point here that even with the built in ipad mic I can get better results then Audyssey or Anthem ARC) and itune store $20 RTA frequency measurement program along with the PEQ in the XMC-1 to get much better sound then what Audyssey and Anthem ARC gave me.

xt 32 actually made my sound too bright so I returned that Denon unit.

Alternatively if an XMC-1 is too expensive you may look into a PEQ stand alone unit maybe from MINI DSP. This will easily allow you to get rid of you highs.

Sorry for my comment Vio, you have great speakers! The only HT pre to sound great is an Anthem D2v or a Krell 1200 for music. Get some tube gear in that rig and you will worship those speakers!

I have Theos mated to a Depth i sub. Small 10x13 room. Great synergy. That photo with the Theos barely a foot from the sidewall is also problematic. I'd recommend at least 2.5 - 3 feet from sidewalls. Reconfigure your furniture layout to accommodate the speakers. They're worth it. I've owned larger M/L's but none more satisfying. I don't miss my former Monolith III's, but I do miss the former larger listening room

Last edited:
Well I guess it is goodbye Martin Logan and hello B&W. It is unfortunate buy my walk out basement is totally completed and I just will not be able to find a flat wall to place any speakers in front of. Not really that big a deal as I am probably 75% home theater and only 25% two channel audio.

Can you put them in the living room for stereo and leave the basement for HT? I have the same speakers and they're not bright at all. WAF is high here too :)

Back