Theos versus more expensive ML's like Montis or Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violinfather

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Theos without auditioning them because Best Buy in Canada was blowing them out. I had heard the Summit and thought it was pretty damn good. I find the Theos I just bought to be a bit bright or harsh which I don't really like very much. I come from owning Mirage M1si and then B&W 803D2's. I am tempted to return to B&W 802D2's if I cannot tone down these Theos. I just wondered if the higher ML lines have a different sonic signature other than more bass extension?

I never heard the Theos, but general principle with an ML is, if they are new they might sound bright till a few 100 hours. Also depends on what amps you are using and how your room is. So you need to put more information about the rest of your system and room size, is your room live?

I agree with bonzo, more info needed.

Where did you hear the Summit's? Almost every ML I've heard has the sonic signature of the panel with better bass intergration as you move up the ladder. Bigger panel, nicer sound and so on. If they are brand new, give them some time and give some details of your room and system. Theos are a nice speaker! Welcome to the club!!

They probably have about 40 hours on them now. They are being driven by a Krell 250a/3. I will post a photo later of the room. I don't have any room treatments which may be contributing to the brighter than normal sound. I am thinking of hooking up my NAD M25 just to see how much different they sound. The Krell is 3X250 at 8 ohms and 400w a channel at 4ohm. The NAD is 165w a channel. The thing is my previous speakers have never sounded bright in that area. The huge Mirage M1si's I had sounded a little "boomy" in the bass in the same location because they were to close to the side walls.

I did use Audyssey XT32 which tamed them down a little. Also I brought them more out into the room as much as I can. Finally toed them in a little. Also I was not sure but I adjusted the rake of the speakers so that the panels are almost at 90 degrees.

Welcome to the world of electrostatics, where every weakness upstream is ruthlessly betrayed.

Welcome to the world of electrostatics, where every weakness upstream is ruthlessly betrayed.

This is the layout of the room.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 654
I could be wrong, but my gut reaction is that nook is a really bad fit for electro static speakers. All kinds of weird stuff going on with the rear firing waves.

I would experiment with some sound absorbing material on the side walls behind the speaker.. the rear wave is most definitely bouncing off that. This is the fun part of owning ML stats, IMHO.. because when you get them dialed in and they disappear, it's awesome.

I agree with the others……….. that alcove is an issue.

Ditto on the room placement of any speaker.

Soon as I saw that alcove, I straight away said bass problems, let alone imaging and sound stage as well.

Beside that, the Summits are the only ones I would replace my re-furbished Monolith III's for, and that is a step down (the Neoliths are just a distant dream for Presidents, Kings and Emperors, Oh!!! how could I forget, and Donald Trump of course).

Cheers George

Ditto on the room placement of any speaker.

Soon as I saw that alcove, I straight away said bass problems, let alone imaging and sound stage as well.

Beside that, the Summits are the only ones I would replace my re-furbished Monolith III's for, and that is a step down (the Neoliths are just a distant dream for Presidents, Kings and Emperors, Oh!!! how could I forget, and Donald Trump of course).

Cheers George

Well I guess it is goodbye Martin Logan and hello B&W. It is unfortunate buy my walk out basement is totally completed and I just will not be able to find a flat wall to place any speakers in front of. Not really that big a deal as I am probably 75% home theater and only 25% two channel audio.

Well I guess it is goodbye Martin Logan and hello B&W. It is unfortunate buy my walk out basement is totally completed and I just will not be able to find a flat wall to place any speakers in front of. Not really that big a deal as I am probably 75% home theater and only 25% two channel audio.
I suggest that you do what was suggested first - let them break in - before making your final decision. You can then deal with other issues one at a time. MLs are such that you could well end up drastically reducing your HT time and going for more music. Don't give up on them yet.

Before you say goodbye to the world's finest transducers (ESL), you owe it to yourself to hear them properly. So send the missus to the spa, position your MLs symmetrically in the biggest room you have, and take another listen.

Hola. Tosh is pointing out a good observation. Also I would like to add some points of view:
1) The absent of noise is something that your ears and brain have to digest.
2) ML sound does not produce any ear fatigue
3) You have in your room, one of the fastest transducer of the whole world. The stat panels diaphragm weights less than the air that they move.
4) The show the good and the bad. Electronics to drive them are picky.
5) You can understand easy on a piano, what the left hand is doing vs the right hand.
6) The musicians communication its outstanding.
7) Because the size of the stat panel is driving mids and highs, the coherence and phase shift its the best!
8) Bringing them forward or back, can adjust where do you want to seat at the event.
9) You must get used to dipolar sound. Live a little bit more time with them, and you will see what I do mean.
10) You do not need to play them a hight SPL to provide a steady 3D stage sound.

Happy listening!

I agree more time needed, I had Sequels in an alcove (twice as wide as yours and maybe a bit deeper, no TV or electronics behind and they were great). ML's need air around them especially away from side walls.

If your wife will allow, can you move them along the wall to the right, spaced approx 8' apart for a trail run for a weekend? This is not HT bro, just for shits and giggles! You may have to go with some other speaker in your quest for HT magic, just try it ok?

I suspect that any speaker will have some issues with that placement except possibly a near field monitor.

Back